2016 Olympics. - Brazil

Szlia

A decisive tie-break in Tennis between Murray (World N°2) and american Steve Johnson (a big underdog in this particular fight) for a spot in the [edit] SEMI final.

Last edited:

Szlia

Aaaaah Johnson redeems an unforced error with an amazing on the run, from far back, top spin, one handed back hand passing shot (something he probably tried 5 times in his career and always missed), but just after that he brain cramps and makes a mess of a drop shot :( Murray is through to the semi.

Szlia

It's a case where the athlete is caught between the hammer and the anvil.

There is a tunisian player in Tennis who is forbidden by his federation to play against israeli opponents (I guess the logic is that they think it would be a kind of recognition of the legitimacy of the state of Israel?), so in a couple of occasions he had to withdraw from tournaments! Apparently that usually does not happen in Judo, but the added exposure of the olympics added a number of additional external pressures. So now, the judoka who was probably told by his federation to fight but not to bow nor shake hands is now lambasted around the world for not shaking his opponent's hand and lambasted at home for having competed (and lost!).

The guy in an athlete at the Olympics, who trained long and hard to be there and just wanted to compete, he certainly did not ask for this additional bullshit that put him in a lose-lose situation (though it would have been a bit better had he won the fight!). It can be argued that he had the opportunity to be part of a nice Olympic Moment™ by bowing and shaking the hand of his opponent, but who can blame the guy for not risking his career and security over it? That's pretty fucked up. Let's hope he reconsider and just compete for another country (like Kazakhstan that is always up for nationalizing top athletes).

And as I write this the israeli won the Bronze.

Szlia

I saw a dozen of these Judo fights and I feel like 8 of them finished with 0-0 and a guy having more penalties for lack of combativeness than the other. That's very underwhelming. Couldn't they get rid of these penalties and just fight until someone actually scores? I am pretty sure I also never saw a wazari nor a koka (if those are still the names of the second and first point categories).

It's a bit of a problem with you have the gold medal match in the top category and the public ends up booing because nothing happened during the whole thing :/

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Why do beach volleyball asses not look anywhere near as good as regular volleyball asses?

joz123

Potato del Grande
Fencing earlier was great. USA dude parried every attack from the Italian and he looked so pissed.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I saw a dozen of these Judo fights and I feel like 8 of them finished with 0-0 and a guy having more penalties for lack of combativeness than the other. That's very underwhelming. Couldn't they get rid of these penalties and just fight until someone actually scores? I am pretty sure I also never saw a wazari nor a koka (if those are still the names of the second and first point categories).

It's a bit of a problem with you have the gold medal match in the top category and the public ends up booing because nothing happened during the whole thing :/

I'm telling you, you have to blame the Japanese for this. They consider judo their sport since it was born in Japan so they made the rules to favor their fighters because they are traditionally very good at technicalities but have fallen behind in sheer power. Wrestling/BJJ also came in and hurt them so they have done their best to remove anything that favors all but the most technically sound.

The scoring is Yuko (minor point), Wazari (half point), Ippon (full point). You have to throw someone onto at least their full side to score a yuko, half of their back to score wazari, and full back for ippon.

Szlia

I was wondering what strange part of my brain I invented the koka, but it actually used to exist, but disappeared in 2009 (so twenty years after my brother stopped Judo for Basketball!).

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Phelps is human. Ledecky is a freak.

They are both freaks, but Ledecky may become a more dominant force in swimming than Phelps with the way she's winning and shattering records. Only downside to Ledecky is she is a freestyle-only swimmer whereas Phelps does basically everything.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
They are both freaks, but Ledecky may become a more dominant force in swimming than Phelps with the way she's winning and shattering records. Only downside to Ledecky is she is a freestyle-only swimmer whereas Phelps does basically everything.

Cept the 100m Butter OHHHHHHHHHH

#realtalk

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Cept the 100m Butter OHHHHHHHHHH

#realtalk

True... But doesn't surprise me he didn't win gold on the 100m Butterfly. I cannot imagine the amount of strain and lactic acid buildup in his body after all the heats, semis, and finals he did over the last few days.