28mm Miniature Tabletop Wargaming Thread

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Dropbox - cards.zip

Cards for those who haven't seen them yet. After spending a lot of time pouring over all the cards, I think people's initial reactions are way to overboard. It will be interesting to see what changes are made to the base game that effect the way these cards are read.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I could play that game if the models weren't dogshit. Still the only thing GW does right, sigh.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I don't feel like "Dogshit" is a proper way to describe Warmachine models. They are not o the level of GW by any means but they have learned a lot and the newer models are much better. The PVC still sucks to remove mold lines but that isn't the worst thing ever.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Even the models GW makes that I don't like I have an appreciation for their quality, detail and character. Truly maybe one in twenty look trashy at worst in some lines. With PP I struggle to find a single model I like, much less an entire army. Their sculptors are just bad or something. Maybe a flawed base design theory in the studio, because I can appreciate them trying to achieve some uniformity. Yet, at some point you have to scrap the shit and just upgrade the line.

Though it's not just GW. As a kid I painted Reaper a bit as well and again, just super detailed and high quality even if the minis really didn't do anything for me. Hell there's dozens of boardgames nowadays with nicer looking stuff.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
While I have to admit that GW has really upped their game in the model department, after decades of suffering through some really terrible GW models, I guess the WM "horrible models" thing doesn't bother me as much.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
At least they aren't Mantic models
smile.png
Honestly, playing Relic Knights has spoiled me on models. That stuff just has so much character.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I still like some of the Infinity models but my friends all took one look at it and were like "ugh"

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
They might be some of the most difficult models to assemble that exist. When my group played Infinity I wanted to blow my brains out.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
They might be some of the most difficult models to assemble that exist. When my group played Infinity I wanted to blow my brains out.
Worse than pinning together the old metal greater daemons or 2-headed chaos dragon/Egrimm van Horstmann?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Do we need to roll out the Thunderhawk as a point of comparison to Infinity models, LOL? And I thought my examples were bad.

I remember seeing that and thinking"Who the fuck would want to buy one of those?"Of course that was long before the current giant-model craze (A Warlord Titan? Did we really need FW to make a fucking Warlord of all things?)

Honestly, I'm glad that I quit buying into 40K/Fantasy.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Says someone who never touched thepewterThunderhawk Gunship.
I didn't play Marines back when that was a thing, I played Eldar, but there is no way it is worse then Infinity models. Were the contact points approximately .0025" diameter? Did that .0025 diameter" support a gun that is 50% of the weight of the model (that is also a seperate pc)? No? Then it's not the same.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Let's put it this way, 50% of the final weight of the model was pinning wire.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
You could pin it so it's gotta be better then the Infinity stuff
smile.png

I still remember when PP moved to plastics and I tried to use my plastic glue from GW on it. Why can't people use the same plastic GW does. Stuff is amazing and so easy to glue!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are PP plastics really more resin based or something so you couldn't use regular tuolene based glues?

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
As a hobbyist first, gamer second. I hate Privateers plastic. Nothing fits right, everything has mold lines, little detail. I find myself giving my Trollbloods quick lame paint jobs because I hate working with the product. Tried to assemble a CoC Heavy Warjack and just gave up from frustration at the time it was taking to just prep all the bits. Everything comes pre-cut off the sprue with no real instructions expect a picture on the side of the box. They make some resin models that are great, and then randomly cast parts in pewter that make no sense. Looking forward to the new GW book coming out shortly with point totals.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
As a hobbyist first, gamer second. I hate Privateers plastic. Nothing fits right, everything has mold lines, little detail. I find myself giving my Trollbloods quick lame paint jobs because I hate working with the product. Tried to assemble a CoC Heavy Warjack and just gave up from frustration at the time it was taking to just prep all the bits. Everything comes pre-cut off the sprue with no real instructions expect a picture on the side of the box. They make some resin models that are great, and then randomly cast parts in pewter that make no sense. Looking forward to the new GW book coming out shortly with point totals.
That's pretty much my feelings on the subject as well.

I really hope GW has a come to jesus moment one day but I somehow doubt it.

Chopxsticks_sl

shitlord
They are making much better strides. The silver tower is a great game with alot of amazing models. Then that 4 pack expansion thats like 50% off the price of those models. A weird 4 person Arena board game just popped uphttp://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2...986_94383.jpegAgain, almost half the price of buying these individually. Also GW's Battleboxes appear to be an amazing value.

All that said, it means nothing if Army size is what it used to be. I left GW for PP simply because I can play a competitive game with 10 models. If I could do that with GW with say 50 models since I know the game is a little different, I honestly think I would go back to GW.

I like Warmahordes, but as a new player the amount of rules is rather overwhelming.