28mm Miniature Tabletop Wargaming Thread

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah there is a lot of hate in my area for AoS. I started with 40k and then went to warmahords for about 5 years and am now back to 40k, I am mainly a painter so don't play much of anything anymore but the AoS models are so fucking beautiful I'll probably paint then and end up with an army anyway so I might give it a try. Especially since I can do nurgle for AoS and 40k.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People in our area are actually making a move towards AoS. It's having a resurgence since the general's handbook came out. We will see how many mistakes PP makes with the command books and theme books next year. I love me some Warmahordes but their decisions lately have been god awful.

Zastlyn

Peasant
What exactly is wrong with linebreaker in the SR packet? I've only played like 1 steamroller game so far.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah no way will I touch AoS or 9th. AoS is basically 40k for toddlers, with or without points. 9th age has all the issues of 8th edition with an extra layer of complication and euro bias in it. I tried 9th but it felt like Star Trek Erotic Fan Fiction version of WHF. I like kings entirely because I have always been into the movement phase, which it does the best of any game. Also, I love building dioramas, which is what the bulk of my newer armies are. Finally, I can get completely shitfaced at tournaments and not have to worry about re-ranking a million fucking goblins every game.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What exactly is wrong with linebreaker in the SR packet? I've only played like 1 steamroller game so far.

It's a non-scenario. You can contest at 14". That means you are in your AD zone the whole game if you have a ranged army. It doesn't force people to come together and fight. It's like playing Mark I all over again where the game ends when someone has no models left. At the event I went to this weekend the only people to score points on it were those that had destroyed over 80 army points. In my game I literally tabled the guy (109 army points destroyed), lost zero models and scored zero control points.

Sneeto

Golden Squire
Khalan,

If you were pretty good at WFB you should consider dabbling in AoS now if you can find some players to enjoy the generals handbook with. They announced they are bringing back the major tournaments in the US for Sigmar. If you were able to get into masters I bet you could do pretty well now too. Game is different, but atleast you still have your armies. Worth a shot, but make sure you have a group of people you could enjoy it with. Im lucky and have a superb GW store here in Las Vegas that is very active. I'm not sure how it is for regular hobby stores. I hated AoS at first, but I also hate to admit I like it now. If you got any questions PM me and i'll link you some good stuff.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I am too burnt from GW to play AOS and the game system is too simple for my liking. I still follow all GW happenings so Im aware of whats going on with points, but too little too late. imo.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I get the burnt part but from what I understand, and take with salt since I haven't really played, the core rules are simple but the wars scroll rules make it more complex than it originally seems, a lot of folks are saying easy to get into but hard to master because it Is a lot of combos.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm getting in to Age of Sigmar because I was forced to for a 6 month period by my group (and by forced I mean lightly talked in to it). I haven't played Fantasy since like 2007 or something. I was looking through the General's Handbook last night. Some of the Warscroll Battalions look way to undercosted. King's Ghouls or whatever it is called in particular. What's been your experience with the Battalion Scrolls?

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Welp, I've got a new game to play now.

35MV111_DR_DOOM_A_ml.jpg

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've heard a lot of good things and bad things about that game. Most of the bad has to do with the scenarios and simplicity. The models are amazing. All my buddies who own it prefer to play the Batman game. They compare Marvel to Checkers and Batman to Chess.

No matter what I am eventually going to buy that Hulk model they sell. That is one of the best models I have ever seen.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
So this may actually wind up going in the business thread but let's start here.

How would I go about making my own game convention? The one we have here in Charleston WV (Charcon) sucks complete ass. They charge just as much as Origins to get in and don't even have half as much going on. It's scheduled to be in October 14 -16. They've just now started to schedule events. They offer no discount to people who want to run games and events. Last year a vendor wanted to bring in food to pass out to the Charcon staff, they couldn't get in without getting a pass. They wanted to charge people to hand out free food. Who does that kind of retarded shit? Besides all of that what annoys me the most is the fact they can't decide if they want to be a Comic convention or a game convention so its a terrible mash-up of both.

I feel like I (with a lot of help) could do way better. I want it to be a game convention. Have KoW, AoS, Warmahordes, Heroclix and other stuff going on. I have no clue where to even start. Just curious if it would be possible for someone to point me in the right direction.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I guess you could ask the Muse on Mini's guys. They just had their own convention this year. Try to get in touch with Jon DeMaris or Nick Crumpton.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Conventions are really expensive to run. In general they are a business. Things like outside food may be regulated by the hotel. Most hotels want you to buy their high priced crap. For instance, I was at Templecon this past weekend and the hotel was selling soda at 4 bucks per 12oz bottle. In the contract with Templecon it was stated that no other vendors could sell soda.

Cost wise the ballroom area at the hotel Templecon was at which was large enough for 500ish wargamers was 10k to rent for the weekend.

My suggestion would be to find someplace cheap and start small for a year or two. Get a player base and then expand. When I first ran Gaming for Giving (which we ran for 5 years) we found a Mason's hall. We were able to get the space for 500 bucks for the weekend. The first year we had 75 people and ran Warmahordes, D&D (with an official GM) and Board Games. By year 5 we had 300 people. The growth was mostly word of mouth of people saying they had a good time.

I know the people who run Templecon. They ran it at a loss with money out of pocket for the first 3 years. Last year they had 4200 people in attendance (this year was 1500 but that's a totally different issue and probably a rant :) ). So be prepared to put in 100's of hours of work and get nothing back for a while.

Have you looked at NoVa (it's this coming weekend)? I went last year and it was a blast. The cost was 85 bucks after I entered all the events I wanted to get in to. There was tons going on and all the people I played against were awesome. The prize support was amazing.

If you have any specific questions let me know. If you decide to go forward with it and need contacts at different companies and vendors let me know, I know people inside of the business at lots of different vendors from hanging out at conventions over the past couple decades :)

Loltrickedu

Trakanon Raider
Somewhat relevant? This guy has been making a fan made Warhammer 40k video for what seems like forever. Just released his 9 minute prologue. Pretty neat, expect another 38 years for the final film to come out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Awesome. I eat this shit up, even when its sup-par. One of my 40k armies is Imperial Fists (one is Space Wolves and the third is 'Nids....I was addicted). I wish a full length movie with the quality of Blizzard could be done.