38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Did it have controller support? I might get it if I can play it on my Nvidia Shield on the TV. Not sure if I want to sit at my desk to play it though. How fickle am I? :/

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Sorry, I was looking for more than a yes/no. That's usually the point of communicating, instead of just googling something.

Thanks ThunderCFB. Sometimes things have controller support that sucks and people can be like 'yes, it does, but it's clunky and sucks' and I'll be like 'thanks for the human interaction as I googled it and didn't feel like reading a ton of shit from a ton of shitty perspectives. Made for consoles through and through, though, sounds good for me on this one!

Isn't it kinda weird that they're still making money on a game that was such an alleged flop it helped give reason to shut down an entire company?

The controller support on PC is really good, actually. Plays just like the console. Also you can switch instantly and seamlessly from controller to keyboard and the interface changes on the fly without having to restart or anything.

The game was only a flop to Chafee and the 38 Studios execs who counted on it bringing in Skyrim numbers to help float the company. EA specifically cited strong KoA sales for making it profitable that quarter. I'm surprised they didn't pick up the IP at auction actually they were that pleased with it. Makes you wonder just how high the minimum bid R.I. wants.

Kind of want to play through it again. Don't get my wrong the game was pretty flawed in several ways.. trivial difficulty, camera, & quest-hub overload being the big ones. Desperately needed a patch that never came.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
1. Go to Origin
2. Add KoA to cart
3. Use the code "LOVE" until Feb 17th to score 50% off
4. ?????
5. Profit
If only it was so simple. EA sucks if you are in another country where you don't speak the language. I'll just wait, I'm sure it will go on sale again eventually.

spronk

FPS noob
Video Game Layoff Stories

lik if u cri

BHG employee_sl said:
When people talk about the 38 Studios closure, they tend to forget that it also killed Big Huge Games as well. They had bought BHG a few years earlier, saving us from collapse after THQ dropped us, and under them we had had just released Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. We were proud of the sleeper hit we had made against all odds, and we were very focused on what we had to improve for the next game. We were in pre-production for the next game, addressing those issues and working on a balancing patch for the base game when we found out that EA had done some restructuring, resulting in dropping our plans for a sequel. This was an amenable break, with them letting us keep all the rights, and we had other publishers who were interested in picking us up for Reckoning 2, so while it was a bit of a shift, we weren't too worried.

So we continued working on pre-production and the re-balancing patch while management found a new publisher to work with us. A couple studios were drawing up offers. Things were going so well that as the release date for Diablo III approached, the studio declared that we'd have a "research day" ? on the day Diablo III released, all employees would be encouraged to come into the office and "research other work in the industry." After all, it was a better solution than having everyone call in sick to play at home.

It was a Tuesday, so we met for our regular Tuesday morning meeting, with breakfast catered by the deli in our building. As we were all chatting over eggs and muffins, one of my coworkers mentioned that something must be wrong with his bank, because his paycheck hadn't gone through to his account. Another coworker said she was having the same problem, but with a different bank. Instantly, everyone was on their phones and checking their bank balance. None of us had been paid.

We immediately knew there was a problem, but we didn't realize how big it was. When our meeting turned into an impromptu phone call to payroll at 38 Studios, they assured us that it was just a minor error and that we'd all be getting our checks immediately, once they straightened things out with their bank. Go ahead and play, we'll have it solved and let you know at the end of the day. Curt Schilling apologized for the mistake and promised to make it up to us all.

"Start looking for a new job." my friend said, "Right now." But I was sure it was just a temporary mistake.

We played games, then came back for the end of day meeting. 38 Studios was having an all-company meeting to explain what had gone wrong, so we all piled in to join via webcam. There had been a clerical error, they said, and it was being fixed. Our paychecks were all printed and ready, but the bank had to fix one more thing before they could be delivered and cashed, they said. It'd be ready first thing tomorrow morning. People asked polite questions about how to avoid this in the future, or made jokes about getting time off until this was fixed.

We met again the next morning, a little less enthusiastic. There were still inconsistencies, they said. They'd have it all worked out by the evening meeting, they said. At the end of the day, they had more excuses, but promised the paychecks would be coming the next morning. The questions got a little less polite and the jokes got a little more barbed.

This happened every day that week. Curt started tearing up when he apologized to us. Then he started getting defensive and angry when he was asked questions. Eventually, he stopped talking to us at all.

We kept coming in because our team was very close, and many of us didn't have anything else to do during the day. Few of us were getting work done, although even fewer of us had started looking for new jobs. The balancing patch had to be put on hold; it costs money to release an update to a game, and we didn't have that. We were all sure it'd be worked out eventually.

Most of all, we were looking at what we could do to make Reckoning 2 more attractive to potential publishers. We knew that as long as we had a publisher for the sequel, we could survive, even if 38 Studios collapsed.

On Friday, BHG officially let our in-house QA department go. It was the first time we had admitted that this wasn't going to get better, and it hit us hard because these were our friends who had worked alongside us for years. Once we had a publisher, we'd hire them all back, we promised. It'd be okay, we said. We drank with them at our desks through the day. At the end of the day, 38 Studios told us that everyone was officially on furlough until they worked things out.

That weekend was rough. None of us had been paid, and those of us who lived paycheck to paycheck were getting pretty lean, but we were hearing horror stories from up in 38 Studios that put our troubles in perspective. You've seen the reports, I'm sure: mortgages in foreclosure, pregnant women learning they had lost their health insurance at the doctor's office because 38 had stopped paying it, all that sort of thing. We even learned that management had stopped paying the deli for our Tuesday breakfast meetings, running up a tab of thousands because the deli owner had known and trusted us for years. We didn't know how to break it to him.

The next week, most of us came into work anyway. No one had shut the office and we'd spent so long together crunching for Reckoning that it was our second home?plus, most of us didn't want to be on our own. The news out of 38 was getting more and more dire, and we were realizing that they wouldn't be coming back, so we turned all of our efforts towards getting another publisher to pick up Reckoning 2. Our official layoff emails came from 38 Studios and we barely noticed them as we prepared for visits from interested publishers. It may have been too late for 38, but Big Huge Games could survive.

Then the governor of Rhode Island started making 38's collapse into a political issue and it became mainstream news. Politicians and bank officials quoted scary-sounding numbers about our finances out of context, and they were repeated around the world by news sources who knew nothing about the process of making games. "Amalur" became synonymous with mismanagement. The publishers who had been talking with us decided the whole situation was toxic and pulled out of talks with us.

We couldn't blame them. We knew it was all over.

Usually, when a studio closes, a handful of people are kept employed for a while to ensure that shutdown goes smoothly: offices are closed, assets are cataloged, legal issues are settled, etc. But this closure was entirely unplanned, and we had none of that. For a week, it was chaos.

We still hadn't been paid, and the government and the bank had first priority of getting repaid from the money that 38 no longer had, so we knew we'd never be seeing our last paychecks. People started packing up their things, saving copies of work for their portfolios, grabbing mementos from around the office. Everyone was sharing news of job offers and advice about how to sign up for unemployment. Other studios were sending people for an impromptu jobs fair at the restaurant nearby.

Some of us found jobs. Some of us quietly turned our backs on the industry forever. The drinks we had kept for special occasions were drained in countless teary-eyed toasts.

We knew that the studio's official assets would be put up for auction (not that we'd see any of the money), but we also knew that the only assets that could be officially tracked were the things IT had tagged. Some might have called it looting, but since we were all owed thousands of dollars apiece, it seemed perfectly reasonable. Computers and monitors stayed, but everything else was fair game. The high-quality marketing toys like replica weapons and standees were divided up between our coworkers as consolation prizes for how hard they had worked. Ex-coworkers came into the office for a proper farewell. We had a mini-reunion at work. Then at the bar. Then wherever we could gather. We still do, whenever we run into each other at GDC or the like.

Eventually, we knew we had to leave the office. An outside company would be coming to catalog its assets and move everything into storage. So we packed up the last of what we could salvage and turned out the lights as we all went our different ways.

One coworker?the nicest, sweetest human I've ever worked with?left a note on his office door for the movers:
776400014192697232.jpg

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
the government and the bank had first priority of getting repaid from the money that 38 no longer had, so we knew we'd never be seeing our last paychecks.
Fun fact: here, in France, employees have priority. Employees get paid first, then government for back taxes, then creditors.

(it's a bit more complicated than that, but employees get paid first, regardless. And if the company did not have enough assets to liquidate to pay the owed paychecks, the government pays your last paychecks)

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The 38 studios/BHG situation was just messed up. I remember seeing a news report pop up on tv on the 11pm news the night before saying 38 studios was in financial trouble. At that point we knew nothing about it and I saw an email thread start-up about the news report basically passing it off as them making things up. Like the BHG post above, we also woke up the next morning with our checks not hitting our banks and it started the two weeks of craziness.

I enjoyed working for Curt and enjoyed working with everyone at 38 Studios. I wish him the best of luck and I don't regret for a second leaving another studio to work for 38 Studios. There were some awesome people working there. I felt especially bad for the team at BHG for getting Reckoning out and then having everything happen like it did. Obviously I wish things were handled differently at the end. I really had no intentions of posting this but now that time has passed I don't see the harm in it. With the time I worked there, I never took Curt as someone who lied to us. He always seemed to be a stand up guy even though I think the last two weeks were handled badly.

I know for the two weeks after it started, we were showing up to work just like the above post because what else were we going to do? We pushed those videos out hoping it would help us get support and because after all that work, it would have been shitty not to show it off. Having people tell us we fucked around and had nothing to show for it was BS. I know I worked for a year straight 6+ days a week and when I showed up on the weekends there were people in working and playing the game. The game for sure had issues, but there was definitely a game there. I still think the art was some of the best I've seen in an MMO and I consider myself a jaded dude. Combat was lacking which is why Curt said it wasn't fun but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been worked on/fixed before it launched.

I know it looked like a wow clone from a distance but one of the big features that was never announced was that it was planned to let servers decide their own direction. There were events planned that depending on how players decided how it played out, it would push that server off in that direction and couldn't be reverted. Not sure it would have worked but it was something unique at the time. We were also planning on going completely FTP. No box sale, no sub and we didn't want to rip people off in the store. We had a heavy focus on making the game fun and offering stuff in the store where people would want to purchase and not feel like it was pay to win etc. Again, I don't know if it would have worked but in my experience, I think the approach to a a highly polished MMO being F2P and not nickle and dimeing everyone would have been enough to make KoA work.

Folks,
I wanted to chime in on this thread. I don't expect my words to
placate or please anyone. I am just going to tell you what happened,
as best I can in hopes you understand that we are where we are, but
there was nothing 38 Studios did wrong at anyplace, any point, we did
what was expected of us and more at every turn we could with regards
to RI and the RIEDC.

Yes, the tax credits weren't getting us to launch, they were not
supposed to. We had 4 separate things outside the tax credits ongoing.
We had a bridge lender involved, for 10-15mm dollars. We had 2
publishing discussions, 1 that was within 30 days of a term sheet, and
1 investor discussion that was headed to a term sheet as well.

In addition to that we had, or were in, the final stages of approval
on Reckoning 2, at least, if not more sequels, with a publisher. There
were literally no steps left, as we had a 'two thumbs up' from the
next to last person to sign off.

The tax credits were there and are there for EXACTLY what we are
doing, to help us run our company, meet payroll, handle bills. Our
team was in the latter stages of this last application in mid april,
very little left to do. The team done all its paperwork, everything we
needed when we needed it. We had met on several occasions over the
month starting mid april, and there was NO concern that RIEDC, or
ANYONE, could question our cash position. RIEDC asks for, and
receives, every single month, our audited PWC statements, it's part of
our deal. They also receive an IN PERSON briefing from IBM through our
quarterly report. They are our biggest investor, next to me, and there
should be MAJOR interest on their part to not only be informed, but
assist in any way they can to help us succeed, logic leads down that
path right?

That led us to the two week debacle that ensued, all starting with
'curing the default', which we felt we agreed MULTIPLE times to what
they were asking, only to have them step away from an agreement.

The 'fraudulent check' story is one I can't begin to fathom describing
and having people believe it. We had agreed to compensate the EDC, and
state, with equity in 38 to cure the default. Why not? It was a point
the Gov made in the election, he was dissatisfied with the state not
at least getting that, and we thought that would appease everyone. We
were comfortable that that is exactly what they wanted, and we had a
deal. Monday the 14th we expected everything to proceed, we had
everything lined up to get the money into the bank, meet payroll and
catch up on past due ANYTHING. Yes it was tight, but we've been tight
before and we felt that managing that over may was not going to be an
issue.

We had ALL parties on the phone, as Monday went by and we started to
get wind of SOMETHING going on, but we had all parties on the phone,
our CFO presented a check, HE HELD ONTO IT!!! And told them the check
had INSUFFICIENT FUNDS until the wire was completed, at which time he
would pass it over to cure the default. (We'd learned a few hours
earlier that the equity agreement was no longer acceptable). We had
the tax credit buyer/seller on the phone, and we were literally
watching our bank account to insure the funds hit, then we would hand
the check over. The attorney HUNG UP and would not take our calls.
About 20 minutes later the EDC issued a press release stating that 38
Studios had issued a fraudulent check, which never happened. Rick
still had the check in his hand, we never handed the check to anyone.

What ensued you have all seen most of, what they say and what has
actually happened are as far apart in most cases as anything can be.
But once the Governor went public we were crushed. He followed his
public comments with comments and information that is explicitly
covered in our confidentiality agreements, as you know he released our
most sacred piece of information, our launch date.

This doesn't make ANYTHING OK, nothing, and I understand that. I
cannot apologize enough for where we are, where each of you is, and I
know that is not going to make anyone's problems go away. I am in this
boat with many of you, not that that matters. If we cannot succeed in
finding an 11th hour miracle I will lose everything, including my
home. I have had to sit down with my family and accept that
responsibility, something I pray no father ever has to do with his
wife and children.

I am a man of faith, and my faith has been pushed and pulled in ways I
never imagined, dreamed or thought of. But my faith is strong, and I
believe in miracles.

I have said it, maybe too much, but what we have here, after this past
12 days, defies logic and reason. This is NOT a company, this is
beyond ANYTHING that exists out there. I am proud, beyond proud to
have each and every one of you on this team.

I know that also isn't comforting anyone, but I have to speak it,
because I feel it. We are doing everything humanly possible to save
your work, your jobs, this company and your safety and security. Hope
has been working for 20 people, and I am sorry beyond words that this
has all been thrown on her lap. I beg you to please understand how
hard she is working to help every single one of you. Tom and Bill and
Rick, Paulette, everyone, is doing whatever we can, calling and
working wherever we can, to at the very least do whatever we can to
not ruin anyone's life. If we can do that, and I still lose
everything, I will walk away knowing we did right by you.

That's always been the goal, to have you show up on time, bust your
ass and for us to do right by you. You've shown up on time, you've
busted your asses, we are to this very minute trying to continue to do
right by you guys.

You guys know me, if there is ANYONE on this planet that wants to
shout from the rooftops it's me. There is SO MUCH political BS going
on in the background that I cannot speak, yet. If they ruin us, if
they destroy this company, while it might be too late to save 38, I
will speak, and I will tell the truth.

I can take the beating, it hurts and it's painful beyond words, but
until I am sure I can speak without further harming you or us, I will
listen to the experts. I am awaiting word from EA right now on
Reckoning sales, and if I get it please check my FB and post that
thing all over the internet.

You have EVERY RIGHT to be angry, and I am sorry, but we are doing
everything possible to save 38, save you and your families, I just
need you to know that.

As I have asked before, and you have done, please keep this to us,
between us, putting this out there could ruin anything we could have
working to resolve this.

Please stay as strong as you can, if you are a person of faith please
pray for you, for us.

God Bless everyone one of you, God Bless your families, no one
deserves to endure what we've been asked to endure.

My love for this team is beyond words
God Bless and thank you
Curt"

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That letter certainly puts a new spin on the political angle, to say the least.

spronk

FPS noob
That is all good info and does put Curt in a slightly less... dumb? position I guess, but I never really blamed him for any of this shit, he was the clueless rich guy who got suckered. I do heavily blame the executive team, especially any vet game dev managers. Those fuckers should have been shouting alarm bells and running around screaming the house is on fire 2 years previously. Its completely retarded that the company got to the point where without a shady ass 10m "tax credit loan" the company collapses. Remember, the tax credit thing was basically this: RI gives out like $50m or so in tax credits per year to movie companies to film in RI. 38S wanted a chunk of this (a big chunk!) because, well, they were in RI! Sure, if you can sucker the government to give it to you great, but most sane people would think it would never work. 38S wasn't even going to use the tax credit, they in turn were going to SELL it to a Hollywood law firm who was going to sell it to a movie studio (since a tax credit requires you to spend money in RI and offset profit, 38S had no profits since inception).

I guess the previous CEO did think all this shit was going sideways and tried to get Curt to slow down, but when nobody was listening to him he left. Still, the VP of Tech, the CTO, the CFO, the Chief Marketing Officer, the VP of OtherUselessTitles all should have said 2 years earlier "hey... fuck, we only have enough money for 2 more years, and its gonna be 4 years to launch. Ok, time to cut our burn rate, slow down hiring, and get deals done NOW no matter what it costs us to get us to the finish line." It doesn't help though that I think the CFO was his father-in-law or some ridiculous thing like that?

The fact that the company kept growing and insanely hired some big names literally weeks before shut down says a lot about how the executive team was just there to rape Curt's money and are the ones who ultimately need to be held accountable, but never will be.

Scyfi

N00b
Doesn't sound like BHG was run very well either, thousands in catered meals, drinking at the office, "play" days, probably thousands in replica items. There is so much waste in the video game industry and they wonder why they all keep going bankrupt. Stop trying to be Hollywood or the music industry.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Doesn't sound like BHG was run very well either, thousands in catered meals, drinking at the office, "play" days, probably thousands in replica items. There is so much waste in the video game industry and they wonder why they all keep going bankrupt. Stop trying to be Hollywood or the music industry.
This sort of thing is fairly common with a small team in ANY industry. It often creates the kind of loyalty to a company that these people are showing. Sure, it can be taken to the point of being wasteful, but I doubt it really was.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Amalur was a good game imo, shame it wasnt able to keep going as it was with some improvements. I liked the very few images/art/clips i saw of the never to be released mmo more than my time in Wildstar /shrug.

Beastro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Amalur was a good game imo, shame it wasnt able to keep going as it was with some improvements. I liked the very few images/art/clips i saw of the never to be released mmo more than my time in Wildstar /shrug.
It wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't good ether.

It's the first game since I rented games for my PSX or even my SNES that I stared at and realized "I just don't enjoy this". I reached that point once I got to the main city on the coast of the first continent and finished the first DLC. I exited it and uninstalled it right then, something I've never done with any other PC game.

The problem was it was just bland. It wasn't good enough to get you aching to experience more of the good parts and it wasn't bad enough to get you wanting to play it hoping it would get better or even just to finish it out of spite and frustration. It felt like nothing but busy work, very casual busy work.