90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i moved this from the "Who Died?" thread to here so we can keep talking about it.
absolute worst songs of the 90s that were somehow big hits
Tubthumping by Chumbawumba, it made me want to step on puppies in rage!
other horrible songs
How Bizarre by OMC
All Star by Smashmouth
Mr Jones by Counting Crows
Mmm-Bop by Hansen

any others?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Is it normal for boomers to reminisce about oldies from over 30 years ago that bothered them slightly?

• 2Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
multi million dollar summer blockbuster

however, this is now a classic because,

the nog ified version is worse

• 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Eiffel 65 - Blue

Liked it at first (I was 12 years old and the video blew my mind). Then I heard it a kajillion times. ...then years later I started loving it again. 🙃

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
i moved this from the "Who Died?" thread to here so we can keep talking about it.
absolute worst songs of the 90s that were somehow big hits
Tubthumping by Chumbawumba, it made me want to step on puppies in rage!
other horrible songs
How Bizarre by OMC
All Star by Smashmouth
Mr Jones by Counting Crows
Mmm-Bop by Hansen

any others?
Tubtumping and All-Star have to be near the top. Absolute ass songs that were so goddamn overplayed. Mmm-bop was awful but I at least "get it" - it's a super catchy pop song that young girls went wild over.

Played every 5 fucking seconds in every sports stadium in America non-stop in the 90s. Especially retarded because the song had absolutely ZERO to do with sports.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Title says "90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months" and then in the post you say "absolute worst songs of the 90s that were somehow big hits", I feel these are entirely different categories.

Actually good song that got overplayed to the point of annoyance: Hotel California

90s shit that was popular but never good to begin with: every R&B song ever. That shit got popular in the 90s and it turned me off FM radio for good. Formulaic, low energy background noise.

• 3Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 3 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Rickshaw GIF by GIF IT UP

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Title says "90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months" and then in the post you say "absolute worst songs of the 90s that were somehow big hits", I feel these are entirely different categories.

Actually good song that got overplayed to the point of annoyance: Hotel California

90s shit that was popular but never good to begin with: every R&B song ever. That shit got popular in the 90s and it turned me off FM radio for good. Formulaic, low energy background noise.
I think "Who Lets the Dogs Out" was good the first time I heard it. It's a pretty hilarious song, but holy fuck did it get overplayed to the point of annoyance.

Another good one that I love even still to this day. That opening hook is amazing. But goddamn was I sick of it in the 90s.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
In 1991 this was #1 in the UK chart for 4 months and got lots of playtime beyond that too:

Tried to find the original Kevin Coster Robin Hood video where Bryan Adams is singing in a forest with scenes of the film clipped in (as all movie tie in songs were back then) but apparently it's mandela effect.

At the other side of the decade (2001 or 2002?) was that summer when two nickelback songs were played constantly.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
By the way I don't think that a song can be made bad by overplaying, it has to be lame in some sort of way first.

Otherwise people would hate all those 90s boybands and girlbands that were played 24/7, though they did vary their sound and had more than one or two pmayed songs.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
In 1991 this was #1 in the UK chart for 4 months and got lots of playtime beyond that too:

Tried to find the original Kevin Coster Robin Hood video where Bryan Adams is singing in a forest with scenes of the film clipped in (as all movie tie in songs were back then) but apparently it's mandela effect.

At the other side of the decade (2001 or 2002?) was that summer when two nickelback songs were played constantly.
it exists, on VHS.
its not a bad song. Bryan Adams isnt a bad musician. the radio just plays his songs nonstop for eternity. everything i do was my sister's and brother in law's favorite song. they even played it at their wedding for christsakes.
nah, this is a legit topic, the title needs a rework though, its way too long i tried to edit it to the second title i iisted, but you cant edit thread titles. this isnt some angry boomer thing since this is all gen exers and most of these bad songs come from the mid to late 90s. thats not to say there werent other decades with bad songs. "Walkin on Sunshine" is probably the worst song from the 80s and just about everything from the early 2000s is horrible.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Eiffel 65 - Blue

Liked it at first (I was 12 years old and the video blew my mind). Then I heard it a kajillion times. ...then years later I started loving it again. 🙃
i barely even remember that song, was it a euro hit?

this one was played an awful lot too. i could never figure out if the song was really that good or because the video was just really cool?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Ya know chuck, I never got why people give you so much shit around here. You always seemed like an alright guy.

But then you reminded me of Jamiroquai's existence.

So fuck you

• 7Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ya know chuck, I never got why people give you so much shit around here. You always seemed like an alright guy.

But then you reminded me of Jamiroquai's existence.

So fuck you
Well thanks for kind words of the past, but yes, I do push everyone's buttons eventually. That's not a bug, it's a feature.

• 2Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
i barely even remember that song, was it a euro hit?

this one was played an awful lot too. i could never figure out if the song was really that good or because the video was just really cool?
Blue was huge in the UK. That one Jamiroquai song too.

This is what I was talking about, they were overplayed but I was always happy to watch those music videos.

Spice girls was played x100 more than these, but I was always happy to see/hear Baby Spice.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Blue was huge in the UK. That one Jamiroquai song too.

This is what I was talking about, they were overplayed but I was always happy to watch those music videos.

Spice girls was played x100 more than these, but I was always happy to see/hear Baby Spice.
That tell me what you want song is so harsh and obnoxious from the start, it had to be because those girls were hot as fuck to keep people from shutting off their radios. But it's not like you can see them on the radio. Fuck, it's a mystery how that became a hit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I got so tired of hearing this shit

I swear to God, the station I listened to would play this hourly, sometimes

nonstop for YEARS

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Basically the pop radio stations were just unlistenable trash in the 90s. However I’m sure that was, and still is, the case in every decade. I remember my dad bitching about the radio songs in the 80s, and he would tell me about all the overplayed crap in the 70s too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user