A 30 year quest/dream maybe this week

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
30+ years ago I visited the Gilcrease museum and have wanted a Remington scultpure ever since. There's an auction later this week in Dallas, TX where they will have 3 originals. My sister is going as my proxy.

Wish me luck. I've never really been interested in art, but this is something I'm willing to pay for and have attended two previous auctions where an original sold. The most wanted of the pieces will not be up for sale, but of the 3 going up for sale I would be thrilled to get any of them. I would love to get an original "coming thru the rye" but that's not going to happen.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Aren't Remington's like 100K plus?

Good luck man.

EDIT: NM. The CHEAPEST is 100K plus.

Szlia

What constitutes an original in this case? All those that were done using the original molds? Only the first batches that were probably documented and numbered?

Borzak

In this case, those were made at his direction while still alive that were numbered done at the Roman Bronze works or the Henry-Bonnard comapny. The lower the number the more detail you get. The later ones change drastically as they were touched up by Remington. In coming thro the rye the chaps on the rider changes to half it's size by casting #7. Everyone one is different. On "mountain man" the horse and rider changes drastically between casting #7 and #15. The tail of those changes direction, the rider changes, the horse posture changes, the posture of the rider changes drastially. It's all fascinating to me.

There are a few of the originals in some pretty nice places, like the oval office etc...

Coming thro the rye would probably be the most expensive to get an original of. Of course I believe it's also the largest and only 15 originals were cast as composted to almost 100 of some of the others. It's impressive when you see the monuments done in life size based on the scultpure.

I can't really explain it, but the pieces he did really capture "it" for me. I've never been into rare art even if someone gave it to me. Can't explain it.

I'll probably be wildly disappointed. It took over a month to get certified and my sister certified to bid as my proxy. I went to a rare gun auction once. The only gun I had an interest in bidding on was an a Walker Colt in relatively decent shape considering it was 150 years old and highly sought after. It sold for just over $1 million. In all honestly even if I had won it really needed to be in a museum.

Enlargement at the national cowboy hall and western heritage musem (it's been changed to more PC). There only a handful that are not accounte for and presumably lost or destroyed by now.

13173.22957.jpg

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I spent $48 at the bar last night. Now I can't eat for the rest of the month.

Borzak

Sorry if it offends anyone. I don't live like most people. I'm single with no kids and for the most part live life like someone who makes 1/5th to 1/10th what I do. Just looking at how much people spend on these boards on entertainment would be enough for me to live on for the most part...

Anyway my grandmother who first took me to the Gilcrease musem when I was 12 is still alive, she's 94. I'd love to show her one before she passes.

The art gallery that is doing the auction sent estimates out today from who knows where they get the info. Interest apparently and based on past auctions I would assume. One is considerably lower than the other 2, the one I am least interested in. We'll see. I'm curious to see how many internet bid and such.

Every Remington has a provenance and it shows where it was bought, most from Tiffany's during the first world war and who it was sold to and who has owned it along the line. I would say just glancing at the list about 1/3 are private and the other 2/3 museums or such which isn't helping the market if you want one.

Sorry I rarely get excited about stuff I buy. I drive an 8 year old truck everyday etc...

Borzak

Vinen it's ok, you can tell us how much money you have again, too.
Been there. I have never got a "real" paycheck. Always on contract. After you get paid you eat at the finest places in town, then before you get paid the next check you check the couch for enough change to eat on the dollar menu.

Borzak

I am willing to collect all of your money and bid as a RR proxy. Honest.
I had to pay my sister, she wanted a comission based on how much she spent.....let me check on that. Fuck no, considering you are in charge of how much is spent. She was joking but seriously.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Ninja we busting your balls. I say good luck and hope you get the pieces you want. Also having no kids is awesome, I get to spend money on all kinds of stupid shit and still pay my bills.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You also live in WV so houses are like $15.

The only expensive art I want would probably be priceless. Not sure how feasible it is to get a Dali. Even with baller money that sounds like a pipe dream.

Borzak

Income/lolrichpeopleproblems aside. I understand the sentiment, if I ever gettrue
One is Flight of King Gradlon, by E. V. Luminais, it's in a museum already so owning the original would probably be unlikely without paying an obscene sum more than it's even worth, but I can dream. I have an original lithograph by him from 1889 hanging in my office at least.
Like I said I'm not a big art person, how did you get exposed and interested in it? I googled to take a look.

The only real "art" I own is just a painting of a plantation next to some property I hunted on 30 years ago. It's numbered, I think it's worth $75. Mainly I got it just because I liked the subject and I drove by it a lot and you can see the house from the side road I used. Not for the artistics of it much.

$_1.JPG

Borzak

You also live in WV so houses are like $15.
That's news to me since I have never been to WV. I live currently less than an hour from Austin in the hill country and housing is booming because we are seeing a bleed over from the tech industry.

My girlfriend moved to Austin. Her sister married a guy in Austin. I went to a christmas party at her sisters houses. It was on lake Travis. I remember looking at the real estate sites just to see how much housing was going for in that area. The house just down the road was up for sale for $12 million. Apparently her husband made money early on in Dell. I told her to get that idea out of her fast or find a new boyfriend, or sponge off her sister which sounded like a good plan to me.