A brain teasing probability puzzle

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Monty only removes goats though. Monty will only end up holding a goat if you chose the car in a 1 in 1000 pick. Monty chooses second and auto holds the car if you didn't choose it. His odds of getting car are 99.9% and yours are .1%. Then you get to decide if you want your box are Monty's box in round two.
Of course he always remove the goats.

Is the final proposition anything other than 1 goat and 1 car? Why would you think that any of your previous choices or actions even matter? Everything is predetermined for you, you're simply going through the motions in round 1 and monty is going through the motions in intermission.

The final choice is always 1 goat, 1 car, and nothing you or him choose or decide has any impact on what the setup is on the final choice unless you alter the entire rules of the game themselves.

Even if you selected a car in Round 1 out of 1000 doors, it doesnt mean anything. your choice is nullified when you're forcibly moved to round 2 and forced to make a choice again. a binary choice this time.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Why are you guys so upset? I'm simply trying to teach you all something new.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Of course he always remove the goats.

Is the final proposition anything other than 1 goat and 1 car? Why would you think that any of your previous choices or actions even matter? Everything is predetermined for you, you're simply going through the motions in round 1 and monty is going through the motions in intermission.

The final choice is always 1 goat, 1 car, and nothing you or him choose or decide has any impact on that what the setup is on the final choice unless you alter the entire rules of the game themselves.

Even if you selected a car in Round 1 out of 1000 doors, it doesnt mean anything. your choice is nullified when you're forcibly moved to round 2 and forced to make a choice again. a binary choice this time.
Its always one goat and one car in second round. Its just Monty has a 99.9% chance of having the car to your .1% chance.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Araysar is right. We are the stupid ones...

...for continuing to argue with a guy who is never going to admit he is wrong.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why are you guys so upset? I'm simply trying to teach you all something new.
rrr_img_43404.jpg

Tea_sl

shitlord
That's a lot of pages to come back to from last night. I think my favorite part was when I suggested he physically do the problem and he said that reality would be wrong.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
If you have a group of random people in a room how many do you need before there is a 50/50 chance that there is a shared birthday?

The answer may surprise you.
No one answered. Can't be assed to cipher it out. What's the answer?

The wording of the problem is stupid because it doesn't say "the host will always pick a goat." That's important and the reason I, and probably lots of others, misconceptualized it.

The second set of choices is not always the same.

Scenarios of switching, assuming you always pick A first (because the first choice is meaningless)
A is car, B/C are goats. You switch and lose (1/3 time)
A is goat, B is car, C is goat. Host shows C (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to B, you win (1/3 of the time)
A is goat, B is goat, C is car. Host shows B (he's forced to, it's the only goat option), you switch to C, you win (1/3 of the time)
Win 2/3, lose 1/3

Scenarios of not switching
A is car, you win
B is car, you lose
C is car, you lose
Win 1/3, lose 2/3
The problem could just as well be set up as: There are 3 boxes, one containing a new car, 2 containing a $1 bill. The Host asks if you want a snack. No matter what your answer is, he eliminates one of the $1 bill boxes. The first choice has no real impact on the second, unless you wanted a specific $1 bill.

Oh shit, Araysar isserious? That changes the premise totally.

Ara, I love you (non-homo way) but here you're wrong. The first pick is not meaningless, it changes the options for the game master in that he in some cases now is limited in his choice of which door to open. That in itself is information that changes the equation.
How does it meaningfully change his options? You guys are acting like it matters which goat he eliminates. People keep saying the first choice informs the second choice, but how? Unless he has a tell, you don't have any more information.

There is no illusion.

1 door that you selected has 1/3 chance of being a car
1 door that is unknown has 2/3 chance of being a car

You now have an option: Keep your 1/3rd chance or switch to take the 2/3rd chance.
No. The problem is that the 1/3 and 2/3 comes from the first round choice. Yeah, in the first round, you had a 1/3 chance of picking the car door, but it didn't matter. This is nothing more than a statistical fun fact. In the second round, you are making another choice, and this one is 50/50. Whether the choice is door 1 vs door 2, or same vs switch, it's a 50/50 choice.

I saw the mythbusters link where they verified this myth, but they are extremely suspect as a general rule. I saw in the same episode that they also think they busted the myth of being able to inflate a tire with starting fluid and a match. This is something I've seen done numerous times, so I know they must have been doing it wrong. What I'd like to know now, is what were the real life results from "Lets Make a Deal". It seems like he offered this choice often enough over the years that we should be able to see if there was an advantage one way over the other. Anyone got a link where someone has compiled those results?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

for fun:

Start:
ManA: $10
ManB: $10
ManC: $10
Hotel: $0
Bellhop: $0

Pay for Lodging:
ManA: $0
ManB: $0
ManC: $0
Hotel: $30
Bellhop: $0

Hotel Refund Lodging:
ManA: $1
ManB: $1
ManC: $1
Hotel: $25
Bellhop: $2

End delta:
ManA: -$9
ManB: -$9
ManC: -$9
Hotel: +$25
Bellhop: +$2
=

No problem.
I'm shocked that you see the fallacy in this problem, but don't see it in the monty hall problem.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You ban Araysar and 3 seconds later another retard picks up the flag and starts running with it? We need an IP check.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm still trying to figure out why Araysar thinks round 1 has no impact on round 2.

The Master

Bronze Squire
The problem could just as well be set up as: There are 3 boxes, one containing a new car, 2 containing a $1 bill. The Host asks if you want a snack. No matter what your answer is, he eliminates one of the $1 bill boxes. The first choice has no real impact on the second, unless you wanted a specific $1 bill.
But he can only eliminate a box youdidn't pick. By constraining his choices, you've altered the scenario. Your initial pick matters. Switchingalwaysreverses the outcome. If you picked a car initially, you get a goat. If you picked a goat initially, you get the car. Now if switching always changes what you picked initially, your initial choice matters, doesn't it?

Mythbuster did do Monty Hall apparently, can't find a video of it, but apparently they actually physically did it 100 times each, with one always switching and one always sticking. Surprise, the one who always switched came out to roughly 66/33 and the one who always stuck came out to roughly 33/66.

projoking

Molten Core Raider
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/pro...y-hall-problem

The number of resources dedicated to explaining this problem is astounding. How is that hunt for the PhD in stats who can't do stats going Ara?
Thanks The Master, That video was the best explanation I have seen so far. I think the waters got muddied by people changing the initial premise in their own mind and then concluding things from those changes.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's a sad day when forum groupthink leads to the independent thinker being cut from the herd and ostracized.

felldoh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No. The problem is that the 1/3 and 2/3 comes from the first round choice. Yeah, in the first round, you had a 1/3 chance of picking the car door, but it didn't matter. This is nothing more than a statistical fun fact. In the second round, you are making another choice, and this one is 50/50. Whether the choice is door 1 vs door 2, or same vs switch, it's a 50/50 choice.
I present you the following question.

True or False. 1 + 1 = 1

a. True
b. False

What will the distribution of answers be? 50/50? It's just a binary choice after all.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
How am I going to pass time this afternoon if he's banned here?

I know he's just trolling but made my morning go by fast
biggrin.png