Ahsoka

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah i agree...
it felt... somewhat disingenuous for baylon to just be like, i'm outtie, see ya. i don't disagree per se with his reasoning, that he's been on a singular quest and shin has only tagged along and that her ambition is leading her elsewhere. however, i wish there was more dialogue between them to show this.

there is also some rumors that baylan is hearing from "The mother," Abeloth. i don't know much about her, but she was basically a mortal that the mortis gods invited into their family. they were originally going to gift her with basically the fountain of youth, but the father specifically (if i remember correctly) started to doubt more and more what the effects it would have on a mortal. she was apparently supposed to be a servant to the mortis gods and did great work with them, but since she was mortal, she was eventually just going to die. so anyway, the father officially denies her from drinking from the fountain but she refused and drank from it in secret and then turned into this all powerful force god. she is supposed to be trapped in a planet somewhere in unknown space.

now all of this is from the books which aren't canon anymore, but there are a lot of similarities. abeloth is trapped in some unknown planet but was able to twist the planet itself and reach out in the force to sort of vaguely communicate with force sensitives, which is basically on point with what is going on with baylan. that seems a BIT over the top for a live action show, but who knows with filoni.

Yeah the Abeloth rumor is what I'm worried they're doing. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but to try to shoehorn it in on the exact same planet where Thrawn is weird. Having 1 episode left to explain how the Nightsisters left her on that planet, or fought her in the past just wouldn't make any sense. That's to say nothing of all the lore from EU Abeloth stories that would help in actually building her up. Would not like it if Super Big Bad is attempted to be introduced while we've just found Thrawn 2 episodes prior.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah the Abeloth rumor is what I'm worried they're doing. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but to try to shoehorn it in on the exact same planet where Thrawn is weird. Having 1 episode left to explain how the Nightsisters left her on that planet, or fought her in the past just wouldn't make any sense. That's to say nothing of all the lore from EU Abeloth stories that would help in actually building her up. Would not like it if Super Big Bad is attempted to be introduced while we've just found Thrawn 2 episodes prior.
ezgif-2-9efa7ec0d8.jpg

I am on the side it is Kujet/Zeffo from the 2 Cal Kestis games.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Telekinesis being able to push back/hold another person in place briefly seems hardly a power spike. The rest is just dodging. Also lol at her just putting one powerful force shove to essentially get the upper hand v him. She's just an apprentice still.

Actually thought Ezra's "power level" was about right. Some developed force powers without actual weapons, but eventually almost knocked out by a mere apprentice with actual recent training.

Ezra always was more Jedi Consular than Jedi Knight, so hoping this Force Fu is a way for them to bring the Consular into full canon.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Telekinesis being able to push back/hold another person in place briefly seems hardly a power spike. The rest is just dodging. Also lol at her just putting one powerful force shove to essentially get the upper hand v him. She's just an apprentice still.

Him saying he didn't need a light saber and then going unarmed into a lightsaber duel with another force user is definitely a power spike lol and has never been seen before in live action star wars

I can't remember what gave her the opportunity to push him into the vehicle, but it was an external interference right? Rather than her besting him

• 1Dislike

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Ezra always was more Jedi Consular than Jedi Knight, so hoping this Force Fu is a way for them to bring the Consular into full canon.

People are missing out by not having seen Clone Wars and Rebels before watching Ahsoka.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why do you believe that? Do you think it needed to cater to first time audiences?

Definitely. I get easter eggs but leaving huge swathes of backstory in not only a separate show but also a different medium seems a considerable risk.

One-off shows should be able to stand on their own. While Boba was shit, with the exception of the appearance of Mando, it was pretty much self-contained and didn't need to explain what had come before. Even Mando's cameo could be explained as a bounty hunter friend helping out. And while Cad Bane was from the animated series it wasn't relevant for people to know that. Ahsoka seems to have big gaps in storyline where the people who know "know" and everyone else is left just smiling and nodding and wondering why stuff matters.

• 2Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Why do you believe that? Do you think it needed to cater to first time audiences?

Struggling franchise show on struggling streaming service of struggling studio absolutely doesn't need to cater to a wide audience in order to maximise that audience. No, definitely not, what a stupid idea

• 1Picard

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>

If you want it to be watched by millions including casuals, then yes

If you want it to be watched by 12 neckbeards, then no

• 2Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
If you want it to be watched by millions including casuals, then yes

If you want it to be watched by 12 neckbeards, then no
I would say it's more than 12 neckbeards. I count 8 in this thread alone.

• 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If you don't want the requirement to include watching the cartoon you at least need to structure the world building and the narrative to incentivize people to seek out the missing information. Making a show on the reliance that the viewer has seen all this pre-existing material is short sighted. Having never seen the cartoon I'm still enjoying Ahsoka, but feel no motivation to go back and fill in gaps for things that make no sense. The whole Ezra reveal was a big wet fart and there was little to no appreciation for new viewers that may not be aware of these relationships. Same can be said for Thrawn, Sabine, or any character or their current situations.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
If you don't want the requirement to include watching the cartoon you at least need to structure the world building and the narrative to incentivize people to seek out the missing information. Making a show on the reliance that the viewer has seen all this pre-existing material is short sighted. Having never seen the cartoon I'm still enjoying Ahsoka, but feel no motivation to go back and fill in gaps for things that make no sense. The whole Ezra reveal was a big wet fart and there was little to no appreciation for new viewers that may not be aware of these relationships. Same can be said for Thrawn, Sabine, or any character or their current situations.

I might feel differently about the cartoons if they were actually watchable. But you have Ahsoka which is rated at least TV-14 and the cartoons which are Y-7. Thats a huge gap in type of audience and therefore in quality of storytelling, world building, characters, etc.

I didnt dismiss the cartoons outright. I attempted to watch them. They're terrible. The dialogue is written for little kids, the plot is basic and shitty so that a 7 year old can follow it. All themes are kiddie themes. It's basically unwatchable if you're an adult who is not a neckbeard soyjack that creams himself over everything Star Wars related. Having an entire differently form of media, written for an entirely different audience, should never be a prerequisite for a show like this. This is just an excuse to cover up for the numerous flaws of this show.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I'm not going to quote all of you, but boo fucking hoo. How much backstory do you need?

The characters aren't byproducts of woke bias and the story is great, I'm happy enough to take that at this point given what they did with Obi Wan.

Bunch of "spoon feed me everything" motherfuckers, I swear.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I'm not going to quote all of you, but boo fucking hoo. How much backstory do you need?

The characters aren't byproducts of woke bias and the story is great, I'm happy enough to take that at this point given what they did with Obi Wan.

lol, it's like if the original trilogy started with ROTJ and didn't tell you why they needed to rescue Han or anything else

There has been nothing so far to say who Ezra is, why he's important (both to plot and characters), how he got where he is etc

Even now, they're only just explaining to casuals the backstory of Ahsoka

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

I can see why a show targeted at 9 year olds is appealing to you.