Ahsoka

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Right in the intro scrolling text they call her a Jedi Knight? Am I missing something?
no. you aren't. she was never promoted out of being a padawan officially, though i'm pretty sure you can consider her a jedi master level force user.

but yeah, someone just forgot his own lore

j00t

Sure, trying to copy too much of the flourishes from the cartoon would look odd, but in the next episode they have Ahsoka make a 100 foot jump from the control tower at the shipyard.

So they could have easily done something cool looking (like a 100 foot fall from a speeding ship into a roll and lightsaber strike), if they wanted to, but then it would have been harder/impossible for the Sith girl to get away. Hell, there are a bunch of ways that the scene could have gone that fit much better and didn't look like it was done just for the Sith girl's plot armor.
so, i agree with you. there was a lot they could have done to make it look better/cooler. but i think the intention was to keep the focus on sabine. so showing ahsoka flipping through the air, attacking shin, whatever, would have changed the moment to be about ahsoka instead of being about sabine. i'm not sure what would have been better? i understand the reasoning, i just don't know? i mean, heck maybe it was just a budget thing.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
on paper i agree with you. but this being based on characters that we've already seen changes my viewpoint on it. technically the only NEW female character we've seen is shin hati, right? morgan elsbeth is newish, we've seen her in mando, so i suppose you could argue that she was purposefully made to be a female to show off how strong women are, but she's a nightsister. i know they just officially revealed that, but that's not new to her character. i think it was her make up artist on mando that posted a picture on instagram and specifically said that morgan was a nightsister, she removed the post within 12 hours i think?

with ahsoka being around since 2008, and hera and sabine being from rebels (which they were the only females of the crew) and DEFINITELY not being marysues, i don't feel like it's just an attempt to show that "the force is female" nonsense. i suppose if you never watched the cartoons (i never watched rebels, outside of clips here and there) you could feel like they're just throwing a bunch of women on screen to be badasses, but i also think they're doing a pretty good job of showing how much the "heroes" have messed up. ahsoka is emotionally kind of a mess and has awful people skills, probably trauma from the clone wars and anakin turning to vader, and sabine has skills, but as repeatedly failed in clinching the win. they've also kind of subtly/not so subtly showed that sabine just has no idea who she is. is she a mandalorian? is she a jedi? is she a leader? she failed in each one of those areas in just the first episode.

hera, is probably the one doing the best out of all of them, but i don't think we've had enough screen time with her as anything other than just "General Syndulla" you know? she hasn't had any story really devoted to her
So what you're saying is that Star Wars has become increasingly "femcentric" since 2008? Cool..cool..
If they had tried to diminish Stevenson at all, would be more of a legit problem. He comes off seeming the most badass of all the mains so far.
Yes, I really enjoyed that the main "evil" in the story is an older, white male. How long before his POWERFUL FEMALE apprentice offs him?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
so, i agree with you. there was a lot they could have done to make it look better/cooler. but i think the intention was to keep the focus on sabine. so showing ahsoka flipping through the air, attacking shin, whatever, would have changed the moment to be about ahsoka instead of being about sabine. i'm not sure what would have been better? i understand the reasoning, i just don't know? i mean, heck maybe it was just a budget thing.
Again, this is just about plot points feeling weak in the way they did them, for the sake of plot armor or to move the plot along in ways that don't fit with Clone Wars or Rebels experiences. If they wanted to focus on Sabine, then have Sith girl stab her, turn around to see the ship approaching, further out, and take off, then have Ahsoka jump and run to her as the ship is landing. That would be more in line with the cartoons.

As it is, the Sith gril should have been caught by numerous ways we see the Jedi move in general, and how Ahsoka in particular acts in other shows/movies.

j00t

So what you're saying is that Star Wars has become increasingly "femcentric" since 2008? Cool..cool..

Yes, I really enjoyed that the main "evil" in the story is an older, white male. How long before his POWERFUL FEMALE apprentice offs him?
no. i'm not saying that. or rather, yes i am, but not because of clone wars and rebels.

and also, stop. don't sully ray stevenson.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
no. i'm not saying that. or rather, yes i am, but not because of clone wars and rebels.

and also, stop. don't sully ray stevenson.
I can almost promise you I like Ray Stevenson more than you do. Problem is, I'm 99% certain his VERY POWERFUL female apprentice is going to off him and I'm sad for how they're gonna do my boy Pullo.

j00t

Again, this is just about plot points feeling weak in the way they did them, for the sake of plot armor or to move the plot along in ways that don't fit with Clone Wars or Rebels experiences. If they wanted to focus on Sabine, then have Sith girl stab her, turn around and see the ship further out and take off, then have Ahsoka jump and run to her as the ship is landing. That would be more in line with the cartoons.

As it is, the Sith gril should have been caught by numerous ways we see the Jedi move in general, and Ahsoka in particular act in other shows/movies.
the majority of what we've seen from ahsoka is from animation. all of what we've seen from shin is live action. i get there's discrepancies between these two shows, but you have to remember that these are two very different mediums. and the look on shin's face as she sensed ahsoka was getting closer and closer make it pretty obvious that she is terrified of ahsoka and is absolutely not sticking around for a fight. they COULD have had ahsoka engage and then see how injured sabine was and make the choice to let shin escape, but after rewatching that scene for this conversation, it's pretty clear that fight is happening from sabine's point of view. as soon as she loses consciousness, the scene ends.

so, i mean, yeah there's a lot they COULD have done, but they made the choice to focus on sabine, and to spend as little time as possible with any other character.

j00t

I can almost promise you I like Ray Stevenson more than you do. Problem is, I'm 99% certain his VERY POWERFUL female apprentice is going to off him and I'm sad for how they're gonna do my boy Pullo.
no, i don't think so. shin is strong, but i don't think she's THAT strong. they make a point that whenever the two of them are on screen together, shin is staring at baylan like a lost puppy.

Juvarisx

Florida

Well its not like you can bring him back for season 2 if he lives in the show. Ezra going to be in the show eventually anyways I imagine so you can lay all your fears to rest. As for Ashoka herself, yea shes a very strong Jedi, it was built up over years of Clone Wars and Rebels, its not like she was suddenly good (infact she sucked for a long time). Baylon is there to be a foil for Ashoka, she is too strong for Shin, I imagine Sabine will be dealing with Shin mostly.

j00t

As for Ashoka herself, yea shes a very strong Jedi, it was built up over years of Clone Wars and Rebels, its not like she was suddenly good (infact she sucked for a long time).
yeah, like i said, for people that haven't seen the cartoons, i can see why they'd think this is just more STRONG FEMALE nonsense, but that's absolutely not ahsoka. she's earned every bit of strength she has.

like the only reason she survived order 66 was because anakin trained her brutally. EXTENSIVE training of her just getting ambushed by a bunch of troopers over and over and over and over. also the first like... 2 seasons of clone wars she SUCKED. constantly messed up missions, getting her entire platoon of troopers killed off left and right. squarely put the deaths of uncountable allies at her feet. she is the opposite of a marysue

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Also calling Sabine a Padawan and making it seem like she is a Jedi in training rustled me a bit, as it does not jive with what was set up in Rebels. If she was force sensitive at all, Kanan or at least Bendu would have noticed when they were trying to teach her to use a saber.
Kanan did say she was blocked off from the force when he and Hera were talking in Trials of the Darksaber. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of them making her force sensitive either, but they laid a loophole in season 3 of Rebels already.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I know there's a contingent of people that are adamantly opposed to clone wars/Rebels because they're animated shows, but you could make a reasonable case that there's a stretch of Clone Wars that's maybe the best Star Wars content since 1983. Also, Ahsoka has probably the most character development/growth of any character in the Star Wars universe.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Sure, but I'm betting this was always in the script regardless of his death.
you're betting WHAT was in the script? you have no idea what is going to happen, this is the epitome of watching something in bad faith.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They are not Sith, so the apprentice killing the master isn't part of their dynamic.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Either Ahsoka offs him, or Ezra comes to save the day.

Was going to say he could fill the C'baoth role from the original Thrawn book trilogy for whatever future movie about this Filoni was planning...but with Stevenson's death doubt that will be a thing now, even if he were to somehow survive this series.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
I know there's a contingent of people that are adamantly opposed to clone wars/Rebels because they're animated shows, but you could make a reasonable case that there's a stretch of Clone Wars that's maybe the best Star Wars content since 1983. Also, Ahsoka has probably the most character development/growth of any character in the Star Wars universe.
The final episodes of clone wars is the best star wars movie there is. Ahsoka vs Darth Maul into order 66 is amazing.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
i enjoyed the first two episodes, it was fucking awesome seeing Lothal and everything around Rebels in live action. Episode 1 was definitely awesome, 2 is a bit of a bridge so not much really happens but it was all right.

Enjoy the little teases at stuff we haven't really seen in Star Wars like Chiss race/empire, the aliens-from-another-galaxy race they mention, more Night Sisters stuff, who exactly the two Jedi/Sith are, or why everyone has such a hard on for Thrawn. You can feel Filoni pouring a lot of his love into this which was really missing from Mando s3.

I do wonder at what people who haven't watched Rebels think of this so far, gotta be a little lost it seems. Neat to see the side guy from House MD play a ship yard manager, although I didn't get the feeling he was an imperial sympathizer just a corpo guy.

poor Qui Gon, now thats 2 women that have suffered a saber to the gut that killed him - the lame inquisitor in Obi Wan, and now Sabine. Maybe girls have more midicholorians in their ovaries. Is Sabine barren now?

F4PdLwpXcAE6J23.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
oh that sabine, she's so cool and punk rock.

this show should have been called Ahsucko

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users