Albion Online

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
lol I disagree. He won't stay effective for long. It's not possible. He will become part of the Zerg or quit.
There are always people moving things around by themselves or in small groups. It isn't super difficult to avoid zergs outside of black zones. He is currently #4 in kill value (which is based on how many people you kill). Sure, he is a member of one of the bigger guilds and alliance, but my point is you can be successful in a smaller scale pvp if you are specced for it and smart. Large zergs (20+) are the safe way to go, but also the least rewarding as loot is spread so thin.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just to point out, and this is my understanding - Each player is going to be maxxing a specific piece of gear out. Not all of it, all at once. A weapon most likely - from there, that person eventually dies and another person loots it that put his fame and work into his chest piece. Now he has an upgraded chest and an upgraded weapon.. this continues on and on. In other words, I just dont see how anyone could get away with "just grinding".

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just to point out, and this is my understanding - Each player is going to be maxxing a specific piece of gear out. Not all of it, all at once. A weapon most likely - from there, that person eventually dies and another person loots it that put his fame and work into his chest piece. Now he has an upgraded chest and an upgraded weapon.. this continues on and on. In other words, I just dont see how anyone could get away with "just grinding".
The ability to equip gear follows your character, not the gear. You don't put fame and work into a specific chest piece, you get fame to wear higher level chest pieces by wearing specific lower tier versions. If you are wearing T6 armor and die, then you can buy more T6 armor .. or pull another set out of your bank.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I think all the PvP guilds are playing this in some capacity. We have a group of folks playing, not sure what we'll do for release yet.
That's nice to know. I'll probably see what you guys think after the Jan 12th patch. I'm really curious to see how the devs respond to the complaints. Would like to see the devs listen but not cave to some of the whiners. There's legitmate issues from what I've read but there's a lot of butt hurt going on too.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think all the PvP guilds are playing this in some capacity.
A lot of PvP guilds went balls to the wall when they heard about the PvP / GvG / Conquest features. Then they saw the combat gameplay in action and nope'd the hell out of the hype train. I heard there's still guilds likeMostly Harmless,KDS,XoOandLoDwho plan to play the release.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A lot of PvP guilds went balls to the wall when they heard about the PvP / GvG / Conquest features. Then they saw the combat gameplay in action and nope'd the hell out of the hype train. I heard there's still guilds likeMostly Harmless,KDS,XoOandLoDwho plan to play the release.
That was pretty much us, we played in one of the first tests and I don't think anyone wanted any more. I keep up to date with this thread to see if it gets any better. I think our guys in the test are playing with MH.

C88bnKg.jpg

Fenz

Silver Knight of the Realm
Road to Release - General Questions Discussions - Albion Online Forum

Dear Fellow Adventurers,

now that the closed beta test is in full swing, we have a very important announcement to make.
The closed beta will be extended until at least 1st August 2016
The game will not be free to play at launch
Our goal is for Albion Online to be a long term success, therefore, we only want to release the game when it is truly up to its potential. The extension of the closed beta period will allow us to make significant improvements to the game.

For this reason, we are putting the free to play plans on hold as well. Making the game ready for a free to play model would take up significant development time which we would much rather use to make a better game. Free to play would also create a lot of risks for the game - spamming, botting, world too small, etc - which we do not want to take if it can be avoided.

When the game goes live, current founder's packs will be discontinued and replaced with starter packs, which will give full access to the game but offer less value for money than the founder's packs as this is only fair to all founders who help us in making the game. Of course, all founder's will automatically get full access to the game on release as well.

We are truly overwhelmed by the success of Albion Online thus far and would like to thank all of your for your ongoing support and feedback. Together, we will make sure that Albion Online will be a great game made to last.

Your Albion Online Team

Major Game Improvements
Note: the below does not list all the changes planned. Also, not everything listed below will make it into the final game.
New, Expanded and Immersive Game World
Significantly increase world size
Make cities and zones more unique
More and better dungeons
Different biomes (snow, swamp, etc

Zone Rework
Introduce Reputation and Crime System for yellow and red zones
Strongly increase the number of black zones
Remove fast travel to non-safe zones
Introduce "naked" teleport as an alternative to fast travel in PvP zones

PvP
Introduce an Ultima Online inspired Reputation and Crime System for yellow and red zones
Special perks and titles for virtuous and evil characters
Armor System Rework
Enchantment Rework
Tons of new items and abilities
Kill mails
Conquerable/Destructible open world structures
Improved ranking system
Scouting mechanics and items
GvG respawn timer
Larger variety of Hell Gates and better rewards

PvE
Allow lower tier mobs to provide fame towards combat progression
Increase the number of higher tier mobs
Fame bonus for group play
Make dungeons and gateway dungeons more rewarding
More and better dungeons and boss fights
Random spawning of special mobs
Armor System Rework
Enchantment Rework
Tons of new items and abilities
Rework faction and mission system*
Introduce Expeditions*
Introduce unique item blueprints and expedition maps as special drops/rewards*
*details to follow in seperate developer update

Gathering
Introduce special items and abilities supporting gatherers
Provide gatherers with better stealth and escape options

Economy
Remove excess supply of items from the market via training option at crafting buildings. Sneak Peak
Fast Travel Rework

Farming
Animal produced fertilizer to increase plant yield

Fishing
Details to follow in seperate developer update

Player Made Open World Structures
Details to follow in seperate developer update

User Interface and Quality of Life Improvements
PC optimized HUD
Friends List
Repair all button
Fast Salvage
Shift Click to move items
Smart Casting
Spell Range/Skillshot Indicator
Guild management improvements
Improved rights management system for guilds
Auto-sort/stack for banks
Allow items to be stackable
Better "mute" system to combat spammers
Outline characters/mobs that are hidden by objects
Bank asset overview
Transaction Log
Improved Mount/Dismount
. and many many more

Kind regards,
Stefan

PS.: Thank you from the whole "Albion Online Team" for your support!

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Woah.... Wasn't expecting that...

No free to play model... Plus for me
Ultima Online was mentioned as well which is another plus.

I'm traveling today and tomorrow but will definitely have to sit down and read this in addition to checking out the response o their forums.

Dashivax

N00b
Rothir, since you are really the first overwhelmingly positive review i've seen would you say that there is any room for the casual player? I really would like to just goof around, tradeskill, and build stuff (not sure how much has been done with housing) but it looks like it "could" be fun but hate to throw money at anything else right now too.
You can play these games casually, or solo, but not both.

The very organized guilds have a high demand for players exactly like you. We always had 2 or 3 people who did nothing but craft and gather for the war effort in our clan in Darkfall. They had low playtime but they made huge contributions to the overall success of our operations and there was always a place for them if they wanted to get involved in the fighting during an important siege.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You can play these games casually, or solo, but not both.

The very organized guilds have a high demand for players exactly like you. We always had 2 or 3 people who did nothing but craft and gather for the war effort in our clan in Darkfall. They had low playtime but they made huge contributions to the overall success of our operations and there was always a place for them if they wanted to get involved in the fighting during an important siege.
I can't think of a single casual crafter who made a meaningful contribution in my last 11 years in PRX. We had a lot of them, sure. And they wanted to help and did so in small ways. But in the first month if you weren't poop-socking your crafting skills weren't high enough to help anyone or you weren't around enough for people to go to you before going to the hardcore players.

And after the first month the only real 'crafters' were top-tier players who had the top-tier crafting abilities that often needed combat prowess to get. The lower-level crafters didn't even deserve the name because nobody wanted what they could make.

Gathering is a different story. In many games the war effort requires massive amounts of low or mid-level gathered resources and our legacy has been built on the backs of more casual players who enjoyed gathering resources. I'm guessing Albion will be like this.

Dashivax

N00b
I can't think of a single casual crafter who made a meaningful contribution in my last 11 years in PRX. We had a lot of them, sure. And they wanted to help and did so in small ways. But in the first month if you weren't poop-socking your crafting skills weren't high enough to help anyone or you weren't around enough for people to go to you before going to the hardcore players.
We had a lot of incredibly aggressive PvPers with lowish playtime that didn't have time to personally harvest their own mats to craft arrows/mounts/pots, the consumable things that you really didn't get a lot of while pvping no matter how successful you were. Those players were able to live off our guild bank because our group supported that kind of playstyle. That was only possible due to the casual harvesters, and because as a group we pooled all resources into a shared effort, whether that was raising a specific crafter's skill or a larger project like building ships and siege equipment.

In games like Albion with a completely player driven resource based economy, it is insanely inefficient to have 50 players all stockpiling their own banks, especially when the hardcore players will have 10x the equipment saved up. Makes more sense to spread that around and ensure the entire fighting force is using the best equipment at all times. It also completely removes the hesitancy from being aggressive during PvP. If you know that when you die you will just grab another bag out of the bank your focus will be entirely on the fight and completing the group's objective.

That is actually a larger factor in these games than a lot of the hardcore players will admit to.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just picked this up. Anyone have a guild I can run with?
I'm still waiting to see what happens next patch before I pick it up. Jan. 12th is still the date correct? They have released an updated roadmap which I thought looked pretty good but this game will live or die by how much it listens to the cry babies.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
So i'm guessing their "big" patch didn't make many waves? Just making my lunch time rounds and noticed this game kinda fell off the face of the earth? I'm guessing BDO took all the PvP crowd away from this game? (At least what was there)

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
They do a "big" patch every month.Yesterday'sintroduced:

• more low-level content that even new players don't need because they were outleveling what was already available in an hour or so, while the dearth of high-level content that players have been complaining about for months persists
  • an armor system rework that was more akin to a reshuffling, fucking over most high-level players (particularly crafters)
  • an "execute" mechanic a la GW2 to finish off incapacitated players, which just allows them more time to be revived by their teammates, making it even more difficult for small groups to win against the odds and promoting stalemates in large-scale combat
  • the inability to change equipment while in combat because a 10-second global cooldown for swapping gear wasn't enough of an arbitrary penalty
  • sundry "fixes" to progressively eliminate the few aspects of the game that remain, purely by accident, interesting.

Albion Online is a game designed by creatively bereft millennials who've jerry-rigged a random assortment of their favorite features from WoW, EVE, LoL, and other popular games in cargo cult fashion and expected it to magically take flight, but this one will never leave the runway.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Personally, I think the game is done for. They made some interesting design choices in the last 3 months, and as a result it seems to have drove off the majority of the more serious players.