All things Brandon Sanderson

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Vin's first run in with Steel Inquistors was the shit. Like, Neo vs Smith level of "whoa."

(yes I just started Mistborn... it was the last thing left on my giant kindle dump from ages ago)

Sanderson with his "3 rules" is such a polar opposite of Erickson, heh.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
You made me look up his rules, had never seen them.

The rule of hard vs soft magic makes a ton of sense and when thinking about it it explains why I disliked some books in the past (using a soft magic system where magic is used to solve problems as well).

I can say I am 100% in the hard magic camp, where the general rules of magic systems are put in place and explained. That doesn't mean you can't have unexpected interactions or new discoveries, but I want general rules of what can and can't be achieved within a given magic system

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Going to see Brandon on Friday as part of his Calamity promotion. Planning on getting signed copies of the Mistborn trilogy as it's my favorite. Stoked.

Vin's first run in with Steel Inquistors was the shit. Like, Neo vs Smith level of "whoa."
Vin fighting the inquisitors is probably the most epic shit I've ever read. Very slight spoiler but I'll tag it for you anyway, just in case;

I'm speaking specifically of the book 3 fight against them. Just holy shit, brain melting levels of awesome.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Finally got around to finishing calamity. It's pretty great, and I wasn't a huge fan of steelheart to begin with.

Phayd

There's going to be a new ya series (The Apocalypse Guard) set in a world that parallels the "Reconers" world, with the first book due in 2018.

http://www.tor.com/2016/03/01/brando...-book-trilogy/

Spoiler for length
From Sanderson - Here's the pitch:
Over a decade ago, people started manifesting strange, incredible powers. One side effect of this was an awareness of alternate dimensions-some of these powers could reach into other realities, other versions of Earth. Though infinite dimensions are present, most of these are unstable, existing only as vague possibilities.
A few of these worlds, however, are stable. These real, alternate versions of Earth are sometimes very, very different from the one we know. And a bizarrely large number of them, it turns out, are doomed. And so the Apocalypse Guard was founded: an organization of thousands of scientists, engineers, and extraordinary individuals who save planets.
They comb the dimensions searching for stable worlds to contact. When they find one that is facing some kind of cataclysm, the Guard either finds a way to save the planet, or evacuates it. The process can take years, but so far the Guard has saved some dozen planets-though it has lost half as many to utter destruction.
Emma is the Guard's coffee girl. On summer internship at mission control, she gets to witness-from a safe distance-their activities. During the events surrounding the rescue of a planet, however, a shadowy group attacks the Guard and throws it into chaos. Emma finds herself cast through dimensions to be stranded on a doomed planet the Guard had been planning to save. Cut off from mission control, woefully inexperienced, Emma has to try to meet up with the Guard or find another way off the planet before cataclysm befalls it.
In the tradition of the Reckoners, The Apocalypse Guard is a fast-paced, action-oriented story with roots in comic book traditions. This one is a little more science fiction and fantasy than it is superhero, and it will dig deeper into the mythology begun in the Reckoners.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Finished Calamity also, the reckoners series is definitely a bit more shallow than some of his other books, and are really quick reads. But I enjoyed it a lot.

apex

Finished Calamity also, the reckoners series is definitely a bit more shallow than some of his other books, and are really quick reads. But I enjoyed it a lot.
The reckoners are classified as a young adult read and I can certainly see that from reading it. As you said though, shallow and quick. I think of them more as a quick fun read to break from some of the more serious and longer novels that are usually my go to.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'll definitely read the Apocalypse Guard stuff. I think of all the characters in the Reckoners the one I enjoyed the most was Megan. She felt the most real.

I don't know that I would call the books shallow, but I could agree that they aren't overly in-depth. I thought the ending of Calamity was pretty good, and he even caught me by surprise at a few points in the book

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah, it obviously wasn't an overly complex book. It's nice to have a book where you don't have to pull out a compendium of all of th characters and factions between every book to remember wtf was going on.

Definitely left some unexplained things at the end of calamity.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I finished up Bands of Mourning and liked it quite a bit more than the last one. About halfway through Calamity and I'm liking it as well.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I liked calamity up until the end. Without going into spoilers, I'm not a fan of how quick the ending just wrapped itself up.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just finished second book in the stormlight series - awesome books. Decided to start mistborn books and I'm struggling. Just don't think they're very good really, especially reading after malazan & stormlight stuff. Does it pick up later on (about 1/3 through book 1)?

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Just finished second book in the stormlight series - awesome books. Decided to start mistborn books and I'm struggling. Just don't think they're very good really, especially reading after malazan & stormlight stuff. Does it pick up later on (about 1/3 through book 1)?

It's been awhile since I've read the original Mistborn series but if memory serves it does pick up quite a bit. Once most of the exposition is done and Kel's plan starts going into motion, it's pretty action packed and well worth the read imo.

Aydenn

Lord Nagafen Raider

It does pick up quite a bit in the second half of the book. I read the books when they first came out, thought they were great. But after reading his newest work, it doesn't really hold up. He's improved as a writer so much over his last few novels.

Still worth reading though, just for the history and the Cosmere tie ins.