All things Brandon Sanderson

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Has anyone read "Dawnshard"? With "Rhythm of War" coming out next week, I might grab this first.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Such a dilemma. I want to continue the series, but the last book really soured my opinion on the series and I'm not that hyped for it.

Edit: Reading the synopsis made not buy it.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Oathbringer was the first book by Sanderson that I wasn't able to finish.

I like the setting of this series, hopefully reviews of Rhythm of War are great which may motivate me to get through Oathbringer if I know the following book is good otherwise that will be it for me with this series.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'll give it a listen after I finish current book. I got notified pre-order delivered last night. I am in agreement that good last Stormlight book was not the greatest. Hopefully he gets that back in line. I've still enjoyed his other stuff. Skyward has been awesome imo

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Might read it but the last audio book killed things for me, barely made it through, the whole graphic audio won't be out till March 2021 so may wait for that

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Packed Oathbringer for my flight this morning. Think I’m 520 or so pages in. Of nothing else I’ll get to sleep. The first 450 pages or so were mediocre to boring to meaningless, then 50 pages picked up and were somewhat interesting. Now it seems to be heading back towards the uninspired.

And when I say packed this is the original hardback edition. A couple of things on my Kindle waiting. Last Reckoners and maybe another Legion?

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I thought you were talking about Rhythm of War before I read it properly, I blame you for my lack of reading comprehension ;)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
Any opinions so far?

I might need to reread the first books again before this one, totally forgotten the story!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Definitely read Dawnshard before Rhythm of War. You can absolutely get by without it, but it helps to smooth out instances in the first few chapters that would otherwise make you go 'wait...what?'

There are still a few of those as there will always be in a story that has a ludicrous number of characters, but Dawnshard does help with the transition.

Malkav

French Madman
Read Dawnshard last night and was definitely interesting. I like how those "intermissions" characters that were introduced in the earlier books are later developped in something meaningful.

Starting with Rythm of War tonight.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I enjoy this series but Shallan and her mental fuckup is a big turn off. Dislike her as much as some WoT female characters.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rime

<Donor>
I enjoy this series but Shallan and her mental fuckup is a big turn off. Dislike her as much as some WoT female characters.

Absolutely this. I enjoyed her character until the whole
split personality
thing. Now every chapter with her is a fucking slog. She single-handedly ruined the third book for me... looks like she will this one as well! That and Kal being such a whiny bint 24/7.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Absolutely this. I enjoyed her character until the whole
split personality
thing. Now every chapter with her is a fucking slog. She single-handedly ruined the third book for me... looks like she will this one as well! That and Kal being such a whiny bint 24/7.
Well rest assured, at least the first quarter Rythm of War is more of exactly the same

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I just finished Rhythym of War last night. I think it's by far the weakest of the series. Though many things happen that will likely have ENORMOUS consequences for the story going forward, I found it almost a slog without a payoff. Oathbringer at least had the payoff of the Battle of Thaylen Field, and I enjoyed the leadup to it starting off when the POV shifted to Szeth for a bit, IIRC. Rhythym of War didn't pay off like that for me at all. I also think that some of the characters that showed up in Oathbringer that were from the larger cosmere could have had more of an appearance or more to do here. Though there were many things learned about the greater cosmere here that were formerly mysterious, the way that was handled was not well done IMO. Sanderson handled it almost more like a matter-of-fact data dump in several cases in this book, and that's out of character for how he handled revealing such information in the past. Granted, he was going to have to increase the rate at which larger cosmere info is revealed from the tiny trickle it was to something more, but this was just done poorly IMO.

I tried to keep this mini-review as spoiler free as I could, I might do a longer write-up later with spoiler tags attached after I have more time to process it all and read some more wiki shit about things I forgot from before.

And as a reference, I'd rank the main Stormlight Books like so: WoR >>>>>>>> WoK>>Oathbringer>>>>>RoW.

Hopefully the coming book about Szeth and Shinovar will be a step up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like