Amazon Echo - no thread yet?

Cybsled

Amazon unlimited music is only $3.99 a month if you only use it on your Echo. You can free trial it for 30 days by asking Alexa to start the free trial to amazon unlimited music. I also learned that if you don't know the song name, but know the lyrics, you can ask her what song has the lyrics (say the lyrics) and she will try to guess what song.

Jeopardy is pretty fun if you enable that app. It also tells you how you scored vs. other users in terms of percentile and will keep track of how you did for the week.

I got 23 out of 30 for the week and it said that was top 1%.

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I rather enjoy the Echo. The speaker is surprisingly good for how small it is. I find it to be really helpful for traffic updates before I leave the house. I am looking forward to when it will work with my Sonos sound system.

I try to trip it up from time to time, and my favorite one thus far:

Alexa, play Screaming for Vengeance (by Judas Priest)
I'm sorry, I can't find Screaming for Vegans.

fris

Vyemm Raider
I don't really use it as a speaker, but do use it to control lights in the house. we have 3 echo dots in various places in the home, 2 TP wall switches and 3 wall plugs. So we can turn those 5 lights on/off w/ voice or app. can program as well if you're out of town. added a power strip to one of the plugs so now one of the lights is sycned w/ the xmas tree. want to get a nest-ish thermostat but don't really need learning since we're in and out of the house so irregularly due to working from home about 50% the time vs actually going to the office. also going to test a few wifi light bulbs but don't have high exception there.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't really use it as a speaker, but do use it to control lights in the house. we have 3 echo dots in various places in the home, 2 TP wall switches and 3 wall plugs. So we can turn those 5 lights on/off w/ voice or app. can program as well if you're out of town. added a power strip to one of the plugs so now one of the lights is sycned w/ the xmas tree. want to get a nest-ish thermostat but don't really need learning since we're in and out of the house so irregularly due to working from home about 50% the time vs actually going to the office. also going to test a few wifi light bulbs but don't have high exception there.
I bought 12 white bulbs and 4 inside floods for cans and a philips hue bridge. Love it. I want to buy a dozen more and replace every light in my house with them.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My hesitance to doing that is our electrical (or something) is so bad at the house we lose bulbs, LED or standard, once every month or so. They don't blow, or pop, or anything while I'm around. But walk in to the room next time and nothing. Or wake up one morning and one of the sconces will be out. Light bulbs are infuriating.

fris

Vyemm Raider
that's my resistance for these expansive bulbs, but pick your battles, wife wants them.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I bought 12 white bulbs and 4 inside floods for cans and a philips hue bridge. Love it. I want to buy a dozen more and replace every light in my house with them.
I'm waiting for a bit until the spring and I will start to get some. I was waiting for a more secure option but that shit's never happening. Planned on building a router this spring so I want to wait for that so I can segment that shit off. I did get an echo finally though, so far just a toy that makes it so I don't have to touch my phone to change podcasts.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm waiting for a bit until the spring and I will start to get some. I was waiting for a more secure option but that shit's never happening. Planned on building a router this spring so I want to wait for that so I can segment that shit off. I did get an echo finally though, so far just a toy that makes it so I don't have to touch my phone to change podcasts.
Yeah I put them in their own vlan at least.

fris

Vyemm Raider
what's the reason anyone would buy the full echo today and not just a dot? just the speaker right?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I bought it for the speaker. I was considering the dot but I didn't have a decent speaker in my kitchen,w here it will get almost all of its use.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So the dot is always on like the echo right? I read a couple of comparisons and they seem to come down to "the only difference is the speaker" but I was considering a dot for upstairs, especially after getting some home automation stuff going.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Does anyone know a difference between the phillips hue and sylvania lightify osram lights? I'm looking at both of them and the sylvania are cheaper.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So the dot is always on like the echo right? I read a couple of comparisons and they seem to come down to "the only difference is the speaker" but I was considering a dot for upstairs, especially after getting some home automation stuff going.
Yup same exact device except size.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Does anyone know a difference between the phillips hue and sylvania lightify osram lights? I'm looking at both of them and the sylvania are cheaper.
Not sure the difference. I went Hue and I love it though. How much cheaper? Just the hub or the bulbs also?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Not sure the difference. I went Hue and I love it though. How much cheaper? Just the hub or the bulbs also?

Just looking on amazon, the A19 bulb is $20.49 and the wireless gateway is $43 for the sylvania osram lightify. The phillips hue $29 and the hub is $59. So not too much more. I've heard good things about the phillips hue. Here are the two bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-4610...8&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=philips+hue+A19&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-LIG...1480437650&sr=8-2&keywords=osram+lightify+a19

Feien

Ploppers
Just got me a couple of Dot's and controlling my Hue's is so much nicer now. Need to make me some IFTTT recipes now. Any suggestions out there?

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just got a Dot and a high-end JBL Bluetooth speaker for Xmas. Both unexpected gifts, but I couldn't be happier. I paired the Dot to the JBL and linked my Spotify account to the Dot. The Dot now pushes everything through the Bluetooth, which has some booming sound.

The voice commands are spot-on and the range is great. Awesome little gadget that is now getting me thinking about additional home connectivity.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah we plussed up so now every bedroom has a Dot in it and the kitchen has a full sized echo in it. The kids got a dot and two hue bulbs for their room.

I now have almost two dozen hue bulbs!