Amazon Echo - no thread yet?

fris

Vyemm Raider
Don't have a link handy but iirc they're pretty much all shite for security from hacks.

If someone is going to remote hack your front door, they're going to get in even easier w/ a normal lock. swift kick or bump locking takes less effort. I'm tempted still, will probably get one and a camera for the front door and install at the same time. Setup so recordings are saved online.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Honestly most american homes are completely insecure. I'm not concerned about the possible hacking of smart locks. You can hack my windows with a brick, and I happen to have plenty of them laying around my yard. If you want some privacy while you do it you can hop my fence and do it in the back yard. And yet no one has even tried since I moved in. My deadbolt is doing fuck all in that event, so replacing it with something I can open via my phone and that I can grant and repeal access via other people's phones is just amazing to me. Haven't done it yet, but I probably will this year. I can understand urban dwellers placing a lot more relevance in the impregnability of their front door though.

It would be interesting to set up some IFTTT apps that alert me to smart home devices being accessed when neither my phone nor that of anyone I've given access is present. Look at cams, dial cops. Maybe turn on a fog machine and make all the lights go red to freak them out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think Amazon is far enough ahead at this point that they have this market in-hand for the foreseeable future. There were reports from CES that Echoes were everywhere, at every booth, and vendors were purposely presenting product features as they related to Echo functionality. i.e. "... and this TV is compatible with Amazon Echo. Simply tell Alexa to turn on the TV, change the channel, record a show... it's so easy!"

Amazon is doing a great job marketing the "Skills" function to major companies, which are now developing entire product lines with Echo-compatibility in mind. Amazon has been able to generate consumer knowledge of their product. Many people are now associating Echo with the word "upgradeable," due to Skills, and that's a very good thing for Amazon.

With that being said, the Skills market is pretty horseshit right now, and Amazon needs to get off their asses and figure out a better way to organize that hot mess. It's just being pumped full of garbage homebrew skills that are making it impossible to find the good stuff.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Got an echo dot over the weekend on a whim.

Side note: 45 mins on Amazon Now to deliver it to me even though I selected the free 2 hour shipping. Fuck when will our Amazon Overlords get it over with and conquer all commerce. Anyways...

It's pretty cool. Plays music for my workouts. Setting timers for cooking is easy. Yes I understand it's not much harder walking to the oven and pushing the buttons but being able to chop stuff and call out to set a 20 min timer feels good. I run a nest and Lutron light switches and my god I know this sounds like I am the laziest SOB but being able to call out to turn on and off lights...feels like I'm on the Enterprise.

^ is right though. The Skills are what is limited. I asked for a salsa recipe. Can't answer me. I had to download the All Recipe Skill and then ask it to open said Skill and then query it. So not exactly Skynet here. But enough help via Skills it does pretty good. Not bad for 50 bucks.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of feeling like you are on the enterprise, the wake word Computer has been added.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah my house was poorly designed when it comes to light switches and being able to tell Alexa to turn this or that light off makes my day every time.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i have a set of lights in my living room and whenever i tell Alexa to turn them all on or off she always leaves one of them (always the same bulb) on/off. anyone ever deal with this?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
i have a set of lights in my living room and whenever i tell Alexa to turn them all on or off she always leaves one of them (always the same bulb) on/off. anyone ever deal with this?
Check your Hue app and make sure it is part of that group. Then refresh the skill on Alexa.

Cybsled

Speaking of feeling like you are on the enterprise, the wake word Computer has been added.

Yea, I just learned this today. There are some Star Trek easter eggs, too. Try "Computer Tea, Earl Gray, Hot" ;p

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Yeah my house was poorly designed when it comes to light switches and being able to tell Alexa to turn this or that light off makes my day every time.

Yeah, switching over to all hue bulbs and using alexa is cool. They need to figure out color though.

Having fun with the IFTTT app as well.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Anyone else's echos dicking with them today? Connected to the net just fine but can't connect to any of my smart devices.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Start a new job at Philips tomorrow. I get an employee discount on Philips products, so because of that I feel like out of respect to my new employer, I should setup full smart lighting. Sounds logical, right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Start a new job at Philips tomorrow. I get an employee discount on Philips products, so because of that I feel like out of respect to my new employer, I should setup full smart lighting. Sounds logical, right?
Makes sense to me :D

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
share the wealth

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
share the wealth
What he said.

Man the Echo Show is fugly. So $230 for a stationary tablet, uh, thanks? Why not just put this shit on a fire tablet and have an echo dock? Why not some kind of device for your already present screens all over your house?

I could see putting one in the kitchen I guess but it seems pretty pricey for what it is.

29906170001_5427255531001_5427244397001-vs.jpg

Also looks like it'd tip over easily when using the touch screen.

I'd also rather be able to mount this on the wall.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I dont see the value in adding a screen to Echo. Without Facetime integration, which it wont have, video chat is worthless. Pulling up youtube videos will be a pain in the ass, Alexa can barely handle song titles as it is. Even if youre with a group of people it woild be preferrable to look at phones.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Microsoft is gonna do their home/alexa in the fall with Cortana.

I almost want one just to say Cortana, anyway buying and moving into a home a month or 2 away, my rough guess on all this new stuff is
1.google home
2.smart things hub
3.any z-wave device

yes?