Anarchy Online New Graphics Engine

Silence_sl

shitlord
Also, one of the most abusive leveling curves in MMO history. IIRC, L1-180 took x_amount of xp. 180-200 took the same amount of xp as 1-180. 200-220 took the same amount of xp as 1-200. Utterly abusive. There was one hardcoreish orgie who was L180 when I quit for a year. When I came back, she was L219 and still grinding it out.

rrr_img_42480.png

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I played this for a bit about 10 - 12 months ago. About 5 minutes after logging in a guide showed up next to me and started chatting with me, asking if I had any questions about the game, and told me that if I needed anything to just let him know.
That was actually how we trained newbie ARKs. Everyone went through that phase while they were training to become a "real" ARK. You were watched like a goddamn hawk to make sure you didn't abuse any of your (very limited at that point) powers, and if you managed to not fuck up for a few weeks, you got promoted.

Lusiphur

Peasant
There are plenty of daily missions at each level range that give a huge chunk of xp. You do not have to grind. Up until about 120 you are talking nearly a level per mission. You can do 3 in a day from like level 20. Drops give high xp missions too. Quests to get weapons and other gear. Shadowland keys. Alien missions for Axp etc. There is a ton to do in AO.

It is reasonably busy and a lot of the old established orgs are looking for new blood. As with any MMO you get out what you put in.

Silence_sl

shitlord
There are plenty of daily missions at each level range that give a huge chunk of xp. You do not have to grind. Up until about 120 you are talking nearly a level per mission. You can do 3 in a day from like level 20. Drops give high xp missions too. Quests to get weapons and other gear. Shadowland keys. Alien missions for Axp etc. There is a ton to do in AO.

It is reasonably busy and a lot of the old established orgs are looking for new blood. As with any MMO you get out what you put in.
I quit long before they vendor machined EZ mode xp. I guess that being 220 means nothing now...or whatever the cap is these days.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Remember hitting 220 on my first character, even people Id been pvping against for months from orgs we'd recently taken towers from sent me congrats because everyone realised what a massive pain in the arse it was.

Is the engine being polished up on top of the graphics? I have a huge soft spot for AO, it was my first proper MMORPG and I still miss the richness, diversity and depth of all it's characters. Perk resets to get imps on at 220 killed me though ><

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So far unless I missed something, the update is really to make the engine fully compatible with DX9 and eventually DX10. It's mostly a terrain update.

I haven't found anything about new character models. If anyone has screenshots of new characters models please post them.

I logged in a while back and just couldn't stomach the characters as well as the constant nagging from some volunteer GM/Guide chick. I couldn't move ten feet without her asking me if I was ok.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nah the got those too, They have been showing snippets of the character models for a while now on the forums.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
is that a sign up? i signed up and it says im ready to download, is that the old game?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
What ever happened to the grand story that was originally planned for AO? I remember one of their big differentiators from other MMOs of the time (read: EQ) was that they would have an epic story that would gradually progress and be told through videos and updates on the website. I remember seeing the first video and it was complete and utter shit. Did they follow through with this or just give it up when their subs plummeted after the shitty launch?

roger_sl

shitlord
For a couple of months they made 3d vids episodes of rubi-ka's story line and there was alot of gm events at first that followed alot the lore story.

Longer... it was supposed to have been done in 2008.

If I remember right, they started development with one engine and switched to another (AOC) a couple years later.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol that was the first thing I saw in AO. My cousin came running up to me as a Atrox in his boxers holding a big ass I-Beam. I was sold right there ;P
God I have some fond memories of anarchy online. It was hella pretty for its time and nice seeing it getting some dev love. One of the funniest things I have ever seen in an MMO is my ex coworkers first anarchy online character. He made a human and found he could make a short guy with a big beer gut and a huge fro and named him buckwheat.

ili_sl

shitlord
I remember killing people in Omnitech with a negative trimmer exploit, even killed a gm. Was ranked Rookie after my little killing spree. Also exploited my pets. Your character would load in before your pet, when you zoned, all you had to do is pop another pet before the others loaded. Running around with an army of droids was neat. Never did get banned for any for it. Still have the account and the Rookie character, made back in 2001.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have played this game off and on several times since it was released.

If anyone wants to get something going let me know. I can front some credits so we can get set some lower level straight or make a static group.