Anarchy Online New Graphics Engine

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
SOE needs to do this to EQ. But yes I'll sign up to the beta never played it back in the day.

Edit: Nevermind. I lost interest after my seventh username was rejected.
I think it's for subscribers only.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Ill check this out during open beta to see how good it looks. IMO its not worth subbing for to get a chance at the leet closed beta. Last time we played I think it was like 2yrs back and me and a few buds got a good 2 solid months of fun out of it so Im sure we will again.

I've been playing on and off since the beginning (got my copy for free at the 2001 E3 - funcom employees were standing on a street corner outside the convention center with trash bags full of them).

I guess it's time to re-up all my accounts. And for this game, I'm glad to do it.

hats

Molten Core Raider
do i need to re-sub to be eligible? considering doing it anyway. i have been looking for a game to pay for

this is one of the only games i never lost my pw too. my transaction history is trippin me out.. solid in 2002-2004

fond memories of trash king camping with my buddies

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know this is a long shot, but I'd be willing to roll up a new character and level with a static group of people. We could do anything with the right make-up.

Anarchy Online's 13th? anniversary event starts tomorrow and lasts until July 11th. There's a bonus at the moment for subscribing. The game is kind of old but it has it's own lure/draw if you give it a chance.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How is it as a F2P game? I thought about trying it out again several weeks ago, but went with EQ2 instead. That didn't last long because their F2P is terrible.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've had an account that has been on a yearly subcribe renewal. I think the only thing you dont get as an F2P (or...froob) player is access to the auction house + anything released in their expansions (gear that specifically states...Alien Invasion, Shadowlands, or Lost Eden).

Everything else is accessible. Level cap of 200 which realistically would take a while for a casual group of froobs to hit. I think their F2P model is pretty good because I don't hear a lot of complaints about it.

ramp

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's quite tempting to give it another try with the new engine (when it actually hits live), but naked characters aside, it'll be hard to get back to the good times of AO without the people. Tarasque, tower wars, guild drama, Legion Factor, great memories.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's quite tempting to give it another try with the new engine (when it actually hits live), but naked characters aside, it'll be hard to get back to the good times of AO without the people. Tarasque, tower wars, guild drama, Legion Factor, great memories.
Recently levelled a new char to 220 after not playing in 6 + years. It's still probably my favourite game, and theyve made some good improvements. The engine is still utter crap though, and the economy is completely screwed for new players, but the sense of community and people helping out is still there. I still dig the classes and the complexity.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Recently levelled a new char to 220 after not playing in 6 + years. It's still probably my favourite game, and theyve made some good improvements. The engine is still utter crap though, and the economy is completely screwed for new players, but the sense of community and people helping out is still there. I still dig the classes and the complexity.
What complexity do you refer to? I played AO at launch and played a Fixer. The primary weapon for them IIRC was sub machine gun. The PVE combat was essentially stand there in one spot and auto attack while you waited for your special attack (Burst) cooldown (30 seconds). The combat in AO was the most boring and least interactive of any MMO I've played.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What complexity do you refer to? I played AO at launch and played a Fixer. The primary weapon for them IIRC was sub machine gun. The PVE combat was essentially stand there in one spot and auto attack while you waited for your special attack (Burst) cooldown (30 seconds). The combat in AO was the most boring and least interactive of any MMO I've played.
During its time, 2001, it was the most complex mmo ever. Classes, skills, implants, crafting, instances (first mmo to offer instances), missions, scripted events. Overbuffing to get massively inflated Lv gear on....

The chat system in that game, one could probably wite an entire book on ith what you could do with it. everything from setting up your own vendor to running entie guilds with it including DKP.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
During its time, 2001, it was the most complex mmo ever. Classes, skills, implants, crafting, instances (first mmo to offer instances), missions, scripted events. Overbuffing to get massively inflated Lv gear on....

The chat system in that game, one could probably wite an entire book on ith what you could do with it. everything from setting up your own vendor to running entie guilds with it including DKP.
To each his own I guess. I just know after playing a bard in EQ1 for a few years the combat in AO was simplistic and boring.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I despised the retarded buffing-to-equip-over-level-items bullshit system that was prevalent back in the day.

AO was ahead of its time in many ways, but the combat was boring as hell and the pathfinding for pets was atrocious.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm I'm trying to remember, but iirc that combat was just like every other combat out at that time. You had tank/healer/dps. You had skills from whichever skills you put points into and put those on a hotbar that allowed quick use.You still had CCs. It was all tab target/locked target. The only other game out at the time that I can even think of having a different system was AC(which iirc was aim based), everything else had the exact same combat.

I would kill for a AO with today's action combat systems :p

You played a pretty shitty fixer then if that's all you did. Their DPS role was pretty limited but they were a quite a few buffs you ran on your group and iirc had HoTs and others you ran while fighting.

Noahx

N00b
This is literally the only game I have never uninstalled on my machine once I take a break. I just know I go back every so often, get a wrangle, cast my Grid Armor, and kite the shit out of stuff 50 levels higher, than I am, on my Fixer. While dated, its still a massively awesome world.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, regardless, I'll be on my MP casting Mochams (Beatlejoose) while I run around on lower level characters. PST if you need some credits or buffs.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Also, the support beam was stupid. "Hey, in this super high-tech world of lasers, robots, and nanobots, lets run around and beat the shit out of stuff with a giant piece of steel."

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, the support beam was stupid. "Hey, in this super high-tech world of lasers, robots, and nanobots, lets run around and beat the shit out of stuff with a giant piece of steel."
Must be really uncomfortable for you to walk around.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
You played a pretty shitty fixer then if that's all you did. Their DPS role was pretty limited but they were a quite a few buffs you ran on your group and iirc had HoTs and others you ran while fighting.
LOL if it makes you feel better to insult me than admit combat in AO was beyond boring then more power to you.