Anarchy Online New Graphics Engine

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noahx

N00b
Man, once you go non-Froob it is hard to go back and make a Froob account.

Couple of decent threads/links for people if they want to get started - EVERYTHING is super old, semi out-dated, but overall can get you into the game.

Overall Class and Game Overview
What Buffs buff What
Implants for the Lazy People (Premade)
Download Map Mods
Database of info (probably dated)

Once you get the hang of things... do the intro zone then "the Subway" or even click on a Mission Terminal and check one out. Missions are just random gen quests. You can have a bunch and cancel for more if you dont like the location. Start "close by" and complete a few.

Pretty big tip in the beginning is get a med suit and decent "NCU + Belt" (can get decent stuff in Subway). Med Suit ups your Treatment, which lets you equip in Premade Implants for bigger stats. Bigger stats let you put on higher QL (quality) gear... This is a vicious cycle that can get pretty fun - called twinking - its a pretty cool puzzle of gear manipulation and buffs to equip the highest QL stuff you can. The higher the QL vs your opponent, the easier. People get pretty insane with this shit hence the post about specific items people use to just equip so they can equip other shit.

The main forum is filled with class info under the Profession section. Be prepared to encounter some jaded, oldtymers. AO Froob is another OK place to check out. In game people spam "information bots" - so once you are in game just ask for help, click a few links, read, watch... then enjoy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I caved and subbed for a month. If anyone wants to group for stuff, let me know on here. I'm thinking about rolling up an Engi now that their solo game is top notch. Don't really want to play my MA main anymore, will probably move some of his gear over to shade.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I played the shit out of this game way back when. Best classes (professions) of any MMO. best twinking system, complex as fuck game play. So much broken exploitable shit. Knowledge was everything.

If you weren't in an uber guild you missed out on all the best content. Great times PvPing for Tarasque spawns., rallying for Tower wars. 3 manning Mercs raids just for shits. Spending hrs dragging level 20 Traders thru every zone quest to get them up to Penumbra and farm them a ql 200 Murdurlugu you could twink and buff on un-OE'd so you could solo every single thing in ToTW and one shot fools by the dozen in low level pvp.

No MMO times were ever more fun than running around as a Fixer in Grid Armor . Fnet 4 Lyfe!

fixer%20montage.jpg

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have not played this game in years, but one of my fondest MMO memories is in this game. I use to run a service with a friend for TOTW loot. I was a twinked out engineer (Slayerdroid in TOTW fun) and she was a MP. We would farm items for people and teleport them in to loot. The main people who bought this service were people over the level cap of the dungeon. It was possible to teleport them in to loot a corpse before they got kicked out. Since TOTW was post-release content a lot of people did not have access to some of the items. Capped out on credits pretty quickly.

Eventually we got suspended for two weeks because some asshole 220 enforcer figured out he could teleport in and crash the game. When he came back he had free reign of the zone.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Currently, on a subbed account, what would be the optimal low to mid level toon that can solo and take time off between doing things, so I can play at work alt=tabbed or something like that.

Adventurer? That is based on 2008 info tho

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Adv isn't what it used to be for sure. Engi and Crat would be my two recommendations, both great soloers, and 2 of the top dps at 220 now. And both very desirable for teams/raids. Can put your pets on guard and step away if you need to.

Noahx

N00b
Currently, on a subbed account, what would be the optimal low to mid level toon that can solo and take time off between doing things, so I can play at work alt=tabbed or something like that.

Adventurer? That is based on 2008 info tho

Fixer use to be decent for soloing as well - HoTs, speed, kiting, EZ travel (fgrid). If you like pet classes, then that is the way to go (Eng/Crat),

Kantern

My 220 way back was MA. I always had a really easy time soloing stuff, especially not in a totally twinked state. Not sure if this holds true. Obviously some classes like Engineer twinked can do a ton more, but MA always was great damage and healing for me.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Who has an old account with twink gear they don't care about?

I want to boost up some low level dudes and play it a bit more.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
MA is still really strong solo, and good dps. They have a new healing stance called Zazen that buffs their healing up a lot, while nerfing their crit rate and add dmg a good bit. I mainly recommended Engi and Crat because they're good for afk, good solo, and 2 very desired classes for endgame groups and raids. Other good classes for endgame would be doc, enfo, keeper and soldier. Not to say you can't find a group with any class, but those are the classes that pretty much every run will have. I think Shade is the most fun class in the game, but it's a terrible class for afk'ing. Agents are also really strong now, maybe the highest dpm in the game when dual wielding PDKP shotguns. It's kinda funny that rifles seem to be not that great for agents anymore.

Kantern

MA is still really strong solo, and good dps. They have a new healing stance called Zazen that buffs their healing up a lot, while nerfing their crit rate and add dmg a good bit. I mainly recommended Engi and Crat because they're good for afk, good solo, and 2 very desired classes for endgame groups and raids. Other good classes for endgame would be doc, enfo, keeper and soldier. Not to say you can't find a group with any class, but those are the classes that pretty much every run will have. I think Shade is the most fun class in the game, but it's a terrible class for afk'ing. Agents are also really strong now, maybe the highest dpm in the game when dual wielding PDKP shotguns. It's kinda funny that rifles seem to be not that great for agents anymore.

Have crats always been good DPS? I remember them being mostly CC. Sounds like a lot has changed. That is cool about the healing stance. Do they actually become healers or just allows them to be more defensive for soloing?

This is making me want to play again. How easy is it to start from scratch? Quick leveling now?

Flake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Waaa I miss my 220 MA with Dchest :(

Last time I tried to play I was so overwhelmed with everything lol

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every class has access to lots of add dmg and crit items now, and good weapons, so when you add on 2 pets for an engi or crat, their dmg gets really high. I think it's been that way for quite a while, since around gauntlet/12m time? Not sure since I haven't played for a number of years until now. MPs still get just 1 attack pet, so they lag behind. To be fair though, they added another riwhen nano not too long ago, and he is quite a beast. Need 2.5k nano skill for lower version of it, or like 3k for ultimate version though.

I think zazen ma's are around adv level of healing, maybe a little higher, but not doc level. So you could heal easy stuff, but not harder stuff like beast, 12m or PoH I'd imagine. I haven't played my ma, so haven't tried it.

Leveling is pretty nice these days, you have at least 4 dailies you can do (normal, elite, ai, doja chip) with freelancers dailies every other week. Plus GRACE (sellable game time, like EVE Plex) are selling for 3b+, so credits are no problem if you don't mind dropping a little cash for op Twink gear. There are new versions of inf missions that take place in just 1 room, lots of people offer leveling service there where you can just ask, or you can run old inf hards for more XP I believe. Haven't really been playing my high levels so no first hand experience on those.

I don't find the game too overwhelming, compared to say EVE or even wow these days. Ao-universe is your friend, and aoitems. Auno.org used to be my go-to, but it's out of date now unfortunately. Dchest sadly doesn't really compare to any endgame armor these days, it's all about combined commando/Merc, dust brigade chest or awakened beast armor (pretty op).

I'm about to twink on 2x nippys on my 80ish shade, then gotta wait til 120 for dchest, igocs and rbp for more twinkage. Debating whether to get him a midlevel set of combined mercs, and have slippers and cloak for whenever he can get them on.

There's so much to do now it's ridiculous, but prioritizing dailies first helps keep it focused. Clan seems to be dominating atm, like 21% side XP vs. Omni at 2.5-3%. anyone refilling will have a much friendlier time going clan I think. I think that's enough late night rambling, will check for spelling errors tomorrow when I'm more awake.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Im going to be on this for a little bit.

It looks really bad right now. FC has been completely silent on the forums for a long time now. There is currently a huge exploit going around that is really easy to do apparently.

Seems to be in really bad shape.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if I still have 4 220 toons and 5 bill in credits on a mule. I dont want to pay $15 just to see of its still there

Fixer 4 Lyfe!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Remember the cheap yalmaha sales? Every once in a while you would get someone in general saying cheap yalms in xxx, and everyone would converge there and buy one. That game was not the same if you didnt have a yalmie. Especially grinding missions.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Best was twinking out LV200 robot as an 130-140 ish engineer and soloing lv 190+ missions.

I made mad cash by soloing those missions at a certain QL until some armor crafting component dropped for me, rare as hell. I could craft all that white looking armor forgot the name, in all QL.

Then remember the ninjas you would camp for 150+QL implants? Yeah, good times, lots of good times in that game.

I think shadowlands kind of ruined that game. They tried to make it into a fantasy game like EQ, instead of just adding more what made anarchy Online great.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I think shadowlands kind of ruined that game. They tried to make it into a fantasy game like EQ, instead of just adding more what made anarchy Online great.

^^ This, Gaute Godager ruined the spirit of the fucking game with that xpac.
Also when they nerfed the Penalties for Death, it really spoiled all the Adrenalin you would get doing group missions or blitzing as a Fixer.

Gaute was also responsible for the bait and switch abortion that was Age of Conan, biggest waste of an IP EVER!