Animated movies that surprised you

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just watched Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki, it was really great, slow paced daily life type of movie about a mother who has to raise her 2 kids alone with a fantasy twist mixed in about werewolves. Great animation, great story, was a bit surprised since it was in my backlog of stuff I usually only watch when I'm bored which tends to be fairly shitty stuff.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Original Berserk series was 25episodes. For the new one I'd just check any torrent site really or tokyotoshokan specifically for anime related stuff. Search for Berserk 2012 or Golden Age Arc or something like that, big files since they're movies.
If you watched the original Berserk series with English dubs, thenthisvideo is pretty damn funny.

"My love for you is like a truck."

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If How To Train Your Dragon 2 doesn't have a female Night Fury love interest, then that will surprise me. Seems like everything goes the Ice Age path...

fucker_sl

shitlord
Paprika
I had no idea what it was going to be about. Blew my mind.
watch the entire filmography of Satoshi Kon, including the 16episode serie called Paranoia Agent. That man was an insane genious

Perfect Blue (1998)
Millennium Actress (2001)
Tokyo Godfathers (2003)
Paranoia Agent (2004)
Paprika (2006)

Siliconemelons

Perfect Blue, omg "Why did I watch this...but I couldent stop watching it...but why!"

Watched King of Thorn on Hulu... nice animation, well done- liked the characters but...typical OMG WHAT? HU? NO? out of nowhere ending imo...

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Not sure if anyone had recommended it in this thread already (I looked) but "Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade" is a quality film. Takes place in an alternative reality japan in what appears to be the early 60's. It sort of comes across like a noir crime flick/ political thriller.

I watched the subtitled version so that's the only one I can attest to. I had heard good things about this movie for a long time, just never got around to tracking it down. The pacing is a bit on the slow side, but that is not really a mark against the film. The movie just unfolds at a methodical pace, which is good considering the density of some of the dialogue. The characters all have a very real weight to them; which just compounds with the story to deliver a very honest performance. You definitely don't feel cheated by anything improbable happening.

Anyways, that's enough out of me; just go watch it.

Caliane

Finally got around to watching Brave and Wreck it ralph.
Did a search, and only this thread came up. I guess the threads were in the old forums?

Don't want to make a new thread, though.

So weird. The Disney movie, Wreck-it Ralph is SO much better then Brave, the Disney/Pixar movie.

Brave was in June of 2012
Wreck it Ralph- Nov of 2012.

Directors of both had few credits. mostly TV stuff.

Stories seem to have polar opposite messages.

Brave. Female lead doesn't like her fate, mostly because she isn't getting her way.. she is a horrible person. She was in fact totally ok with her "fate" when it involved a male she thought was attractive.
Runs away, ruins everyones lives. and in the after having to come to terms with the fact everyone is on the brink of war, and facing her mistakes. She decides to do as she pleases, in complete contradiction to everything that has happened and not care what anyone else thinks. everyone is inexplicable ok with this, despite her having done nothing to actually change anyones mind.

Ralph. Male lead doesn't like his fate, because everyone is a dick to him all the time. He is a nice guy, but completely denied any justice. He runs away, which causes real problems for everyone else around him. He faces his problems, makes friends, and realizes that he can't change his fate. But he can make the best of it, and as long as he has friends, thats ok.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Imagine the story from Turbo's perspective, then compare that to Brave. He's the bear that didn't get changed back.

Still, I would disagree and say that Brave's message was more about family and bonds than fate. Which also ties in to how everyone's relationship changed in Wreck-It Ralph.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_38200.jpg

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would put American Pop on my list of animated movies that still blow me away when I see it, in terms of story and imagery. The Plague Dogs is another really surprisingly good movie.

Siliconemelons

I attempted to watch it, other than oh look violence and shit in animation! I don't really get it... Fire and Ice or whatever its called at least had a kind of-story that was somewhat in tact 15min into it.

As for Ralph, love the movie the voice cast was spot on- I think its disturbing and hilarious that Sarah Silverman sounds like a kid. Also turbo did not like his fate of being replaced, traveled to another game and ended up destroying it- somehow still surviving he hacked and manipulated another game at the expense and was happy with all that until he was caught- Ralph was not happy with the effect his choices made on his people/game and sought to fix it.

Caliane

It does occur to me Vanellope is also Merrida.

Also doesn't like her fate. Female. Trys to change it. Does, ruins everything. When faced with the consequences of her actions, completely ignores them, and chooses to do what she wants anyway. But everyone thankfully, just decides to go with her on that, and at no point faces any consequences. Oh this game is glitching? and Vanellope wins every race?

So feminism.