Apple agrees to buy headphone maker Beats for $3bn

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
SBC can still be heavily compressed on many devices, at least until aptX and AAC gain more widespread adoption. Whether that makes a difference to you is personal preference, but many phones still default to the lowest bitrate version of SBC last time I checked.

As for the lightning headphone news, I'm sure the apple fans will eat it up but I don't see a great reason for it. I've read that they'll be able to incorporate a DAC into the headphones and put out a purely digital signal, but it's not like the iphone 3.5mm jack is particularly noisy. Just not seeing the benefits.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Might as well start advocating for poopsocks. Taking off your headphones to get up once in a while is not a con.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
LOL, you never know what topic somebody is going to get aggro over.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Wrong dude. Sorry to burst your bubble but anyone who wore lipstick and lace when he was part of the "World Class Wreckin Cru" was hardly considered a killer.
That's what music looked like before NWA, bro.

Sorry that Beats by Dre Day isn't part of Eazy E payday.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I am completely in agreement with the logistic benefits of BT audio, to me it is still unacceptable. It's even further degrading an already lossy audio format. (MP3 / AAC). We seem to be moving of the opposite direction of lossless audio for no damn reason. I get why we had compression when our MP3 player storage was measured in Megabytes, but we now have the cheapest storage prices ever. Everything should be sold lossless and a wired connection is needed to preserve that. Wireless just isnt where it needs to be quite yet.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It does seem kind of crazy to use a radio to transmit data from one part of your body to another. That said, when I am working in the shop or something my earbud wires do get caught on shit pretty often. The only reason I haven't tried bluetooth is that I wear ear buds all day and go through like a pair a month so I have not wanted to make that cost $30 a shot instead of $10, plus the charging thing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I only have to charge my tones every 3 to 5 days, they are pretty awesome.

Also I love my wireless headphones for the computer. Many a times I've been in the middle of a convo on vent and had to get up for one reason or another and it's nice to not have to stop talking or miss something by having to take them off.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Many a times I've been in the middle of a convo on vent and had to get up for one reason or another and it's nice to not have to stop talking or miss something by having to take them off.
I hear ya, man. Sometimes, the poop can't wait.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
then i'd have to get up and take my headset off to throw away the poopsock. You're creating more work for me.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm not an audiophile snob, but christ blue-tooth headphones sound like shit. I can't even use em at the gym they sound so bad.

I didn't read the articles linked, does he get the entire 3 billion, or are there other partners.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, Brahma has more money invested into headphones than most people have invested in their car.