Apple/Mac Thread

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Looks like anything from late 2010 on should be able to use the coming High Sierra OS. OS is free so if it happens to not have Sierra, it can be upgraded for free. I dont know much about the Airs.
In general I replace the HD on all mac I get since I hate Seagate drives. I opt to get SSD crucial and if there is a drive doubler I put in the largest platter WD. Personally pref, no clue if air could even have the room for 2nd drive or if you could replace it. It might be one of those mSata drives? I know the last mini and imac I happen to get had seagate crap in them. That was ripped out, pronto!

OWC
Apple Mac Upgrades - RAM, SSD Flash, External Drives and More

macOS High Sierra - Wikipedia
System requirements[edit]
macOS High Sierra has the same requirements as its predecessor:[5][6]

HEVC hardware acceleration requires a Mac with a sixth-generation Intel processor or newer:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
People still like the MacBook Air? Wife wants a new laptop and Microcenter is selling the newest model, which is like 2 years old at this point, for $699. Specs are fairly similar to the new MacBook just announced except for the Retina display which she doesn't seem to care about.

Not even sure what the latest OS you can install on this is... need to figure that out too I guess.
MacBook Air can go up to Sierra (and High Sierra when it comes out)

Nothing wrong with the Air so long as youre using it as a word processor/media consumption/email/social media machine (screen is meh compared to newer ones, but it's also a lot cheaper).

Get the 128GB, throw an SD card in there, and it's good to go imo.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
People still like the MacBook Air? Wife wants a new laptop and Microcenter is selling the newest model, which is like 2 years old at this point, for $699. Specs are fairly similar to the new MacBook just announced except for the Retina display which she doesn't seem to care about.

Not even sure what the latest OS you can install on this is... need to figure that out too I guess.
I use a 2015 macbook air for work and 3 boxing EQ

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm planning on buying one of the Apple TV's when they are available. I have an HTPC I use currently but would not mind trying a new box.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If I didn't have a Roku 4K already, I might go for this. I just don't see any reason to switch at this point.

Definitely going to throw a wad of cash at the new phone, though.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If I didn't have a Roku 4K already, I might go for this. I just don't see any reason to switch at this point.

Definitely going to throw a wad of cash at the new phone, though.

I have a fairly old HTPC I've been using at this point which works well, and I don't have any other media boxes. Kinda want to try one of them and I'm an apple fanboy.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I forget why we went with Roku, but it's pretty much a toss-up these days, I think. I think it was the lack of support for some things like Hulu or whatnot back in the day, but that's probably no longer an issue.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I use DirectTV now and it's terrible on my FireTV stick, but runs just fine on my AppleTV. Not sure If I'll make the jump to 4k or not.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't have a 4k TV so I don't care about that right now. None of the shit I download is 4k. I guess it's good for future-proofing.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah. We watch in 4K on Netflix from time to time, but I think we'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, and almost none of the downloaded stuff I have is 4K, so meh. If I hadn't found a really good Black Friday deal on a TV a couple years ago, we wouldn't even have 4K.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Only reason I have one is because I broke my TV last time I moved and a replacement of the same price/size was 4k. I can tell a difference usually, but not enough to warrant specifically buying a 4k appleTV. Only reason I'm considering it is because I just bought one and if it's the same price

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sold my 6s+ and am patiently waiting for the 28th now to order the X 256GB. I'm using my wife's old iPhone 5 in the meantime. It feels like I've stepped back into last century. This thing is sloooowwwww.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I forget why we went with Roku, but it's pretty much a toss-up these days, I think. I think it was the lack of support for some things like Hulu or whatnot back in the day, but that's probably no longer an issue.

I replaced all my Apple TVs with Roku boxes, or bought the 4K TVs that have Roku built in as the OS.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So I got the Apple TV 4k yesterday, and I might have missed the boat on these little media boxes but this shit is pretty cool. I installed Plex on my main computer, got that all configured, and installed the Plex app on the apple TV. And the Netflix app. That's how I use media these days, either I torrent shit or I netflix shit. If it's not available on netflix I torrent it.

So, for the apple TV it's either plex or netflix. Which I'm sure any of the boxes can do. What I don't think they can do is airplay, because anything I can play on my ipad or macbook I can now seamlessly and perfectly play on the TV, without dicking with HDMI or dongles or parking my macbook in front of the TV. Might seem like a picky solution but having just that one tiny box under the TV is pretty sweet.

I don't know anything about the difference between the old Apple TV's and this, but this shit is pretty clean. Like it a lot.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So I got the Apple TV 4k yesterday, and I might have missed the boat on these little media boxes but this shit is pretty cool. I installed Plex on my main computer, got that all configured, and installed the Plex app on the apple TV. And the Netflix app. That's how I use media these days, either I torrent shit or I netflix shit. If it's not available on netflix I torrent it.

So, for the apple TV it's either plex or netflix. Which I'm sure any of the boxes can do. What I don't think they can do is airplay, because anything I can play on my ipad or macbook I can now seamlessly and perfectly play on the TV, without dicking with HDMI or dongles or parking my macbook in front of the TV. Might seem like a picky solution but having just that one tiny box under the TV is pretty sweet.

I don't know anything about the difference between the old Apple TV's and this, but this shit is pretty clean. Like it a lot.
Yeah I have the prior generation Apple TV that isn’t the 4K and it is amazing with Plex, literally the only thing I have installed. The wife has a bunch of workout video apps installed.