Apple/Mac Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone upgrade to sierra yet? Probably gonna wait it out a couple weeks this time. Last time I jumped straight on the bandwagon I ended up with a broken vpn due to the cert changes in the OS.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone upgrade to sierra yet? Probably gonna wait it out a couple weeks this time. Last time I jumped straight on the bandwagon I ended up with a broken vpn due to the cert changes in the OS.

I did. It's just my home PC and I don't use it for anything but watching videos, surfing the web and citrix in to work though.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Buddy of mine has gotten it to work on a 2008 macpro and 2009 flashed to 2010 macpro. I dont have any plans, I dont even know what features they claim to have and denied they broke. If it was still up to me I would still be on Snow Lep. I dont really see leaping changes in general from past releases. He was talking about Siri or something with it, I dont even use Siri on my phones, dont like ppl around me knowing what I am doing honestly. He is into all the reminders and crap from the sound of things.
Just havent gotten into the echo world yet.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Buddy of mine has gotten it to work on a 2008 macpro and 2009 flashed to 2010 macpro. I dont have any plans, I dont even know what features they claim to have and denied they broke. If it was still up to me I would still be on Snow Lep. I dont really see leaping changes in general from past releases. He was talking about Siri or something with it, I dont even use Siri on my phones, dont like ppl around me knowing what I am doing honestly. He is into all the reminders and crap from the sound of things.
Just havent gotten into the echo world yet.

I like the iMessage updates on sierra.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
ya, I just updated to the new iOS patch over the weekend and today it had another one. I like some of the changes. If that starts working better on the mac that will help.
Still getting some odd problems with text/aim profiles not working correctly or getting profiles mixed up. At some point I will check it out. I tend to wait awhile before updating. Feels like the QT isnt as good as it has been. I will have to look up the new stuff to see if its worth it.

I figured I was out of the cycle with this new OS, they tend to claim X systems will drop off but seems to never happen or for long. I live thru my friends that like the newest, lastest, greatest stuff.
I had them in tears some years ago when I got a used Pro and just used it as a minecraft server, I later repurposed it but kept it that way for a while only because it was killing them with what I was doing with it.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
So...I played with the new Macbook Pro and while the keyboard is leaps and bounds better than the new one on the Macbook's, I really don't think it holds a candle to the old version. :(

Also not wild about the all USB-C port choice, but I suppose that is the future. Loss of Magsafe also rustles me a bit.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
So...I played with the new Macbook Pro and while the keyboard is leaps and bounds better than the new one on the Macbook's, I really don't think it holds a candle to the old version. :(

Also not wild about the all USB-C port choice, but I suppose that is the future. Loss of Magsafe also rustles me a bit.

Yeah this years version is dull and not very pro at all. I am rustled that I need and adapter to hook my iphone to it. I'll pass and purchase the 14" Razer Blade instead.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Wife has an older gen iPad and I want to get her the air 2 or the 9.7 " pro for xmas. I figure I might as well hold out and see if any go on a Black Friday sale. Any thoughts on either? I'm pretty torn, leaning towards the air 2 at this point.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I got my dad the Pro 9.7 (replacing his air 2) for his birthday this year solely for the pencil functionality (he's a lawyer), and he loves it. He gave his old air2 to my brother and it is still running like a champ, so I think you'd be fine with either.

It's mostly going to come down to 1) does she want the pencil/non bluetooth keyboard, 2) black friday sales.

iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy

Macrumors has it listed as mid-cycle.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
The 2015 Macbook Pro 15inch is (supposedly) getting pulled from stores and being moved to the refurb store.

I had to go into a local Apple store yesterday to replace one of my work Macs and while I was shooting the shit with the guys in the back, I was shopping for a new Mac for my brother and they mentioned it. Ended up ordering one for him (I want to say it was around ~$1400 before tax?), wonder if he'll get lucky and get an upgraded one instead :D

Sometimes when you order from the refurb store, they'll list the base stats for simplicity sake, but you actually end up with an upgraded machine.

Wife has an older gen iPad and I want to get her the air 2 or the 9.7 " pro for xmas. I figure I might as well hold out and see if any go on a Black Friday sale. Any thoughts on either? I'm pretty torn, leaning towards the air 2 at this point.

March is looking more likely: Three New iPads Said to Launch in March, Including Bezel-Free 10.9-Inch Model

Siliconemelons

Yeah we have been winging it, but they are getting more and more in number - esp ipads and its getting to be compliance issues etc.

We are looking at

SCCM + Intune
Apple MDM
JAMF Casper Suite

- we are a big Microsoft shop and we currently use (and I admin) SCCM for PC Desktop management.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Ya, not sure on the SCCM for patching and extras. Used it for a small while but the shop didnt allow any apple stuff, so couldnt test it. I never did test the Apple server OS personally, last I heard it was like their version of SCCM but with more mini windows that doesnt work that great with each other.
I would have liked to get into that Server OS at one point but currently I am not in any position to go back down that path. Would venture forth into Swift first.

Do you have any Linux stuff you can push with SCCM, that might help some?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Letters don't repeat when holding down a key on the keyboard on this abortion of an OS.

What kinda shit show is Apple running here?