Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon (FromSoftware)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea there were definitely a couple of bullshit arena enemies. They were all beatable, but you had to cheese in order to do it.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think I remember that one maybe, basically came down to spamming just a fuck ton of small seeking missles while blindly mashing dodge/juke. AC3 I think. Been ages and I was never as deep into it as yall. Did finish all the arena though stubbornly. Holy hell the using shoulder buttons for up/down aiming, woo lad that was some hand judo I agree I can no longer pull off.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You could definitely either go with brute force repetition or custom build for each opponent or both.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There's a part of me that wants to play through the entire Armored Core series, Front Mission series, and King's Field series at this point. I missed out on most of them (first AC. first FM, and the two action FMs are all I got to). I guess a full Fromsoft binge + Front Mission. I don't even think this is feasible and I don't have time considering I'm also trying to play modern stuff some time soon. Maybe if I could pause life for like 3 months I could do all this.

King's Field is probably the least-likely one, those games look super dated at this point. Front Mission I think I'm only missing 4 RPGs from, which is a lot but possible. Armored Core is the one I'm most likely to actually do, but so far the availability (or lack thereof) is looking like a roadblock on that one.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looked into it and there's a translated ROM of Front Mission 2 on PS1. So there's pretty much nothing stopping me from getting ROMs of all the AC and FM games on PS1 and PS2, provided PS2 emulation is stable (PS1 certainly is). Might have my game project for 2023 now: The whole AC series, mixed with some FM.

Edit: Welp, that didn't happen, I went with a CRPG crusade instead and I think that was the right call.

Last edited:

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I never played any Armored Core or Front Mission game but damn this trailer looks great.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I never played any Armored Core or Front Mission game but damn this trailer looks great.
They’re vastly different games. One is an action 3d mech battling game, the other is a tactics game.

I’ve played both series and they’re both cool but Front Mission always got very repetitive and boring to me. Armored Core was cool because there are so many different mech builds you can make, and so many you can battle against. While missions and fighting mechanics were similar the builds mixed it up so much it never got old to me.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cheesed the last boss in AC2 arena (Ares I think) by standing on that building and just hitting him with the heat seeking missiles that launch a volley up and down. Game was amazing.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They’re vastly different games. One is an action 3d mech battling game, the other is a tactics game.

I’ve played both series and they’re both cool but Front Mission always got very repetitive and boring to me. Armored Core was cool because there are so many different mech builds you can make, and so many you can battle against. While missions and fighting mechanics were similar the builds mixed it up so much it never got old to me.

Yeah Front Mission is nowhere near as fun as Armored Core. Both have similar vibes and settings though so I've been thinking about both of them.

Front Mission usually devolves into "equip every mech with two of the strongest available weapon so they can fire twice at once, then the game basically plays itself" while you grind the maps out. FM1 on the Super Famicom was really good and never felt tedious to me, but FM3 on PS1 and FM4 on PS2 both got really tedious and plodding. I didn't finish either one of them and I played them in the mid-2000's when I played the hell out of anything Square put out. Never played FM2, but I got a translated ROM so I might give it a run.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1672661934206.png

The prices on all these games I'm looking at are ludicrous.

Yeah, I really made a mistake selling all my games in 2010. Looks like the PS2 gen is now reaching pricey retro levels and the PS3 gen is starting to climb up too.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
View attachment 451044
The prices on all these games I'm looking at are ludicrous.

Yeah, I really made a mistake selling all my games in 2010. Looks like the PS2 gen is now reaching pricey retro levels and the PS3 gen is starting to climb up too.

Amazon is the worse place to buy old games from, they are usually a lot more expensive compared to Ebay.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fat12

Trakanon Raider
For some reason I remember Armored Core having slow, sluggish combat. The trailer reminded me of this game .

virtualon arcade.jpeg

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
For some reason I remember Armored Core having slow, sluggish combat. The trailer reminded me of this game .

View attachment 470935
It is slower than Virtual On but faster than mech warrior. I wouldn’t call it lightning fast. VO was really fun, only ever played it a couple times but still remember really liking it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fromsoft is really good at promising nothing and wildly overdelivering.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users