Arrival (2016)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is funny b/c in the original story you could argue he was the one that broke the whole code and actually made it possible to communicate. But in the movie he's just sorta... there.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
what are you talking about?

he's the husband and father of the child AA has in the future. His purpose is to be there so they don't have to add frivolous backstory about some other guy she marries & has a kid with knowing the future and knowing the child is going to die. Him being there being a part of it all, and thus knowing that she knows the future, means he divorces her for deciding to go through with having the kid, where as if it were some other random guy, he would of just wrote her off as nuts

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I liked the movie for what it was. It was a good drama. The sad music at various parts was great, or maybe it was just me thinking about my own daughter that made me sad. *shrugs*

I liked it. Why did the octopus creatures need cloudy shit to move around? Wouldn't it have been more conducive for their "aquarium" like thing to be clear?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If we wanna be anal about it, doesn't Renner character make the "breakthrough" that the language seems to be about "time", he just can't grasp it, but this is enough for AA to make her own breakthru, along with him figuring out that they need all 12 pieces of info.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Correct. She got the whole ball rolling, but he spotted the official clue that solved the puzzle.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Guys, how distant of a cousin of mine does Amy Adams need to be for it to be okay that I want to nail her?

First. Anyone who's never even thought about humping their cousin just has an ugly family.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Man I really wanted to love this movie but just didnt. It had some cool aspects but I didnt need to see it in a theater.

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
I went in without watching previews, just knowing it was well received. I thought it was very well written.

Worth watching, but I didn't feel the theater added much to the experience.

My opinion: Abbot is the real hero.

The aliens knew what would happen because of how they perceive time. Abbot sacrificed himself to deliver knowledge to the humans and save their species.

Warflagon

Peasant
I didn't care for the film. Was boring and etc from previous critical posts. But I delight that it spurs conversation regards intelligent sci fi films :)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You know why i think most of us are meh?

2016 has great TV, imagined if they spanned The Arrival to 6 episodes, a movie just feels too rushed

spronk

FPS noob
i like gavin but thats a pretty big reach to equate arrival with SJW shit like ghostbusters. just having a female lead or a black guy in a movie does not make it a SJW movie.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i like gavin but thats a pretty big reach to equate arrival with SJW shit like ghostbusters. just having a female lead or a black guy in a movie does not make it a SJW movie.
Are you telling me that Pacific Rim wasn't a SJW movie? The best actors in the film were a young asian girl and a black man while all of the whiteys died left and right. Hell, Elba even had to step up and sacrifice himself for the dad's white privilege.

Just a coincidence you say? Check out the sequel cast. Starts with John Boyega, then an Indian American, Lebanese American, Japanese, Chinese, hot Asian woman.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Are you telling me that Pacific Rim wasn't a SJW movie? The best actors in the film were a young asian girl and a black man while all of the whiteys died left and right. Hell, Elba even had to step up and sacrifice himself for the dad's white privilege.

Just a coincidence you say? Check out the sequel cast. Starts with John Boyega, then an Indian American, Lebanese American, Japanese, Chinese, hot Asian woman.
It's also ageist, the best actor in the film was a crying little girl.

Cybsled

Got around to seeing this. Things clicked when

She said her father was the science guy. Then later when she asks the alien who the girl in her memory is cements what was going on completely.

On a side note, the alien saying that in 3k years they need humanity's help also means the aliens live REALLY long lifespans, since we assume they saw this future as part of their individual experience.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Gavin was/is good but he doesn't have that joie de vivre that Milo has to really make the "performance theater" work without just sounding like an idiot.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Gavin was/is good but he doesn't have that joie de vivre that Milo has to really make the "performance theater" work without just sounding like an idiot.
Shut your hole Tiger lover.
73601176.jpg