Ashes of Creation

kudos

<Banned>
I always hated that saying anyways.

"WE HAVE 150 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THIS OFFICE!" Well if you have an office of 5000 people then that may not mean much.

Or you just have 150 years of mediocre labor with no actual expertise.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
More specifically, I always hated developers touting their "MMO work experience." Unless you previously worked for Blizzard, that work experience just screams "Hey, I used to make shitty MMOs for a living."

It's not exactly something that inspires confidence when you're asking for a hand-out.

kudos

<Banned>
More specifically, I always hated developers touting their "MMO work experience." Unless you previously worked for Blizzard, that work experience just screams "Hey, I used to make shitty MMOs for a living."

It's not exactly something that inspires confidence when you're asking for a hand-out.

Oh man, the Pantheon fanboys would rip you apart for only saying Blizzard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh man, the Pantheon fanboys would rip you apart for only saying Blizzard.

LOL!

f81b4c9b18839c9327f7214471661929_large.jpg

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Having been through the process of creating an MMO from scratch I cannot understand how it can be done with less than $20m (production, servers, personnel, testing etc). So the moment anyone starts promising more than 1 race (unless they all look the same), multiple classes, multiple modes of play (PvE, PvP), bullshit mechanics that nobody asked (naval combat! resurrection!) you know you are going to lose your Kickstarter money. Even people like Brad that built this industry from scratch can't really budget honestly because there are no tools to build MMOs (like there are ten different engines to make mobile games and they are all awesome).

I'll still donate money to the cause, perhaps hoping that either I am wrong or that the next guy that tries doesn't find a landscape full of old cynic neckbeards. AoC raised enough money to pay for the art team for one year.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
With the increased visibility from the kickstarter comes some more lucid views.

Ashes of Creation : nouvelle arnaque via Kickstarter ? | Geekzone.fr

(in french. Quick summary follows)

- First, for a funded game before kickstarter, the team is light. Pantheon-sized. Yea, they promise to go from 12 to 24 this fall! That's why they need your kickstarter, guys!
- The people have worked in the industry, but when you're told that they have FORTY years of experience combined, you know they got little experience. The Lead Game Designer was working as... International Customer Relation Liaison at SOE. The technical director was designing... payment solutions.
- Steven Sharif is an experienced Multi-Level Marketing guy, that's how he made his money. Wondered why there was MLM in the game? That's why.
- The demo videos are considered relatively easy to make with the power of Unreal 4. Wondered why the presentation of the node system working was all done using sprites on a background drawn map? They didn't had time to fake that amount of system stuff.
- Speaking of video: the first twitch stream:

No UI (save for a static HP/MANA bar that never moved)? No interaction, no combat? "Thanks for testing" for a 8mn walk around with the devs talking about how awesome all of it was and lots of things happened (but not here, unfortunately, the node next door)...
- And of course, the forum. Looks like the cheapest software they could find.

Summary: Caveat emptor.

Thank you French Utnayan

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
He funds the game more or less himself (the 30mil)? Kickstarter money is on top of that? He is a "true" MMO gamer/enthusiast and is quite good with money (selfmade multi-millionaire)? He hates p2w? Sounds like a dream come true for MMO gamers. Lets see if he really knows what he is doing and if he can deliver on the promises... i hope he will.

I'm calling bullshit on the "he hates P2W" thing. We're talking about Sorcerer from ArcheAge, right? This dude bought Thunderstruck Trees from my guild for $40 a pop... in ALPHA. You know, the stuff that was going to be wiped. The dude has zero problem with RMT. If it can't be done through the game's shop, he'll do it through PlayerAuctions.

Tauro

So, new 1.75mio stretchgoal revealed. The Underrealm (expansive underground areas, underrealm node development, underrealm flora&fauna). I immediately was thinking about going underground with a dwarf char looking for riches and killing stuff. Couldnt help myself and pledged 140$. Dont disappoint me IntrepidStudios! :)

Reht

Molten Core Raider
If it hits that stretch goal, backers could get a free case of Amway toilet paper for the following stretch goal.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Him being in MLM previously doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me personally, but maybe that's also because they aren't seeing a dime from me until they actually release the game.

It does make me question who the hell is funding them with him at the helm (and his rag tag team). Surely he can't fully fund the game himself, and they have probably 3+ years of development ahead of them.

Crowfall is the only Kickstarter I've ever backed, and it was primarily because the guys in charge have a good enough resume to reassure me that they know what they're doing.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
I guess I'm glad people are throwing money at this because it (marginally) increases the odds something decent gets made. But those feel like shitty odds given how little we've seen and the promises made.

• 1Solidarity

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess I'm glad people are throwing money at this because it (marginally) increases the odds something decent gets made. But those feel like shitty odds given how little we've seen and the promises made.

What a retarded opinion, it's like saying you're glad people buy gas because it (marginally) increases the odds something better gets made.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
What a retarded opinion, it's like saying you're glad people buy gas because it (marginally) increases the odds something better gets made.
If people wanna throw their hard-earned money at this game, then whatever. I wouldn't advise it, that being said I'm not mad they got funded. Genre could use any hope it can get. Although that's usually a really poor means for buying a product, when it's nearly purely on "hope".

Mughal

you are correct, they are using Unity

that's the graphics engine. Unity does not have any decent networking stack, MMO servers, content management system, PvP, billing etc etc. Part of the huge cost of making an MMO is that you need to develop your own tools to create and manage the game. And because there are only few MMOs built every year there isn't really a software industry to support them like there is for mobile apps.

So when they "demo" something it's just that they built some assets and recorded a video moving around a scene. Means nothing as it's just days of work (ok maybe weeks if you built and animated all the 3d assets from scratch). The toolchain to make the game is what makes game companies unique.

xzi

Mouthbreather
UE4 already has existing backend support for MMOs/large multiplayer games in general, they still have a gigantic mountain of work to climb to make it not shitty though. But there is some sort of base level for Ashes to build upon at least.

I'm not spending that much money on it, but I hope its funding does keep growing.