Ashes of Creation

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
The class is called 'tank'? Really?

Announcing Torrid MMORPG. I will have the following classes available: Tank, Caster DPS, Physical Ranged DPS, Healer, Melee DPS. Lifetime subs only $25.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That was one of the dumbest, tin-foil hat manifestos I've read in a long time.

So, they took out a 39 month lease of 5,875 square feet office space in San Diego back in 2015, hired a team of 12 people, bought/leased all of that office furniture and hardware, created actual in-game content / gameplay to... "scam" people out of a couple of million kickstarter dollars? That's the scam?

It'd be awesome if it was a straight up scam. That would be a nice change of pace from the has-been, out of work devs peddling that seemingly perfect MMO idea to the Kickstarter masses for a fraction of the money they need to actually develop it. Stupid isn't as fun to watch.

It's one of those next level scams. Spend millions to lose... millions!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On the scam stuff, was just linking for people to see, I don't care either way didn't look at the kickstarter or much into this game in the first place, just saw the name pop up on reddit.

That said because they spent some money doesn't mean it's going to be an actual thing. The scam idea is basically that they spent some money for legitimacy, made a kickstarter not to scam people out of the kickstarter money but to act as advertisement(you start a kickstarter, you get articles on most of the related news websites, you fund the kickstarter, you get more articles, you also get some money back), then get the money from selling the beta/early access/whatever the fuck it is they're selling, and their referral system acts like a pyramid scheme in that anyone who bought into it will be incentivized to recruit more people who will also buy into it and so on. You make the investment money back and some and then release nothing because "stuff happened" and you're done.

Could be totally legit and even though the guy made a lot of his money in a pyramid scheme(supposedly), he's now investing into a legit way to make money and a game is definitely being made and all. Just thought it was worth pointing out I think since some people, especially on this board, are prone to spending money on shitty promises(myself included, although not much lately). Remember Landmark and shit, and that was from a much more established company. The assets and stuff do look pretty good but assets are just assets, even Pantheon has a lot of assets(worse looking ones I'll give you, but still, considering how it started).

Mikey

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I threw my $$ in the pile. Looks good to me and working successfully for a MLM company at age 18 is a positive sign if you ask me. You have to know how to get shit done to come out ahead in those things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Him being in MLM previously doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me personally, but maybe that's also because they aren't seeing a dime from me until they actually release the game.

It does make me question who the hell is funding them with him at the helm (and his rag tag team). Surely he can't fully fund the game himself, and they have probably 3+ years of development ahead of them.

Crowfall is the only Kickstarter I've ever backed, and it was primarily because the guys in charge have a good enough resume to reassure me that they know what they're doing.

MLM? So he's been involved in pyramid schemes? LOL.. yeah ok. Jeffrey Bard and Jason Crawford did good stuff on EQ2 actually.. They're solid. Michael Bacon is a hell of an artist. We'll see how it goes..

• 1Like

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

I wish they would just show some actual gameplay.

Why show stuff like this that likely isn't going to reflect the gameplay?

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
The class is called 'tank'? Really?

Announcing Torrid MMORPG. I will have the following classes available: Tank, Caster DPS, Physical Ranged DPS, Healer, Melee DPS. Lifetime subs only $25.

Hey man, the dude didn't want to confuse his player-base right off the bat, so he kept the class names simple!!! Because, you know...classes don't come with class descriptions or anything.

The guy keeps repeating himself in every interview that he is a "lifelong MMO gamer who is passionate about great MMOs" ? I'm going to go out a limb and say he is lying, but look an Unreal Engine demo!

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

I wish they would just show some actual gameplay.

Why show stuff like this that likely isn't going to reflect the gameplay?

I was told that was all game engine stuff, although scripted cinematic.. So it'll have the same visual appeal, but no way to know how actual gameplay will function.

Oh, and the reason is because the game buying public are morons.. They like pretty cinematic intros that have no actual bearing on the real game.

Maric

N00b
Hey man, the dude didn't want to confuse his player-base right off the bat, so he kept the class names simple!!! Because, you know...classes don't come with class descriptions or anything.

The guy keeps repeating himself in every interview that he is a "lifelong MMO gamer who is passionate about great MMOs" ? I'm going to go out a limb and say he is lying, but look an Unreal Engine demo!

He's not lying. Pretty well known in Archeage.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unreal. They're at $2.1m with 12 days to go. Got to give them credit, they're ability to market what little they have has really paid off.

Looks like they actually showed some primitive gameplay on Friday too.

• 1Like

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
If you don't have the resources and drive to earn capital through conventional means then chances are you don't have the experience and vision necessary to deliver the goods. Furthermore, this guy's experience as a PLAYER seems to be limited to using his wealth to get ahead in a shitty Korean MMO that no one played. Anyone who contributes to this weirdo's pet project is a fool.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that monster thing looks retarded. These guys are in the most remedial of stages to getting this started. I hope they kill it, and absolute props to them for being professional and being able to raise that kind of money, but man I am very glad I did not back this. Way, way too early.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah that monster thing looks retarded. These guys are in the most remedial of stages to getting this started. I hope they kill it, and absolute props to them for being professional and being able to raise that kind of money, but man I am very glad I did not back this. Way, way too early.

Yeah, I am the biggest sucker ever and chose to wait......good luck to them, but I will hang tight and see how it develops.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, I guess you could exploit it? Im sure someone will find a way to do something they havent thought of? But they repeated several times that its for cosmetics only. The player as the monster gets a weighted score that is based on how many players he kills (guess?) and the defending players earn a weighted score based on the amount of damage/heals theyve dealt or taken. I really dont give a shit about it one way or the other. The only thing that might fret me is if the cash shop is set up like Black Deserts. Where you have this shitty "look" to your gear, no matter how high your combat score is unless you've bought an armor and weapon skin for $25 bucks. Then I start to call time out. Otherwise, the game looks fantastic for pre-alpha imo.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Even if it's not exploitable at all, I find it to be a pretty stupid idea and not really worthy of any development time this early on.

I mean, we've seen more "gameplay" for this stinker than pretty much anything else combined.

Tom Lightner

Molten Core Raider
Been looking at this one too not sure some looks like a cash grab some looks like it... could have potential *screech across chalk board* fuk it UT can you please offer your advice on his one I might buy in if its still going but dam i suck at determining a good game and look to you for advice so far I stay away from the ones you call shit and I play the ones you call not so shit and have been pretty happy since! ha ha