Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

iannis

Musty Nester

I hope he named it RapeBot5000

I wonder how much it would cost to do. Not much more than a model airplane, but you would have to get some parts of the frame fabricated I'm guessing. Or you just have to learn how to weld. Which is something that I've never learned how to do.

khorum

Murder Apologist
There's been lawn-roombas for a few years now. iRobot and a few others make em. There's a cemetery near my folks that had an industrial version running, dunno what brand tho but it wasn't this John Deere one

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Every autonomous mower I've seen is terrible because it makes no attempt at efficient paths and just relies on being able to operate indefinitely.

Which means the blades will get dull like 10x faster, the mower will be active 10x longer than it should and your lawn looks like you mowed it drunk in the dark.

I mean that John Deere mower is just riding around like a dick. Here's another video of it:

Good fucking luck on the edges of the lawn too.

Doing it properly is much harder than this random traversal nonsense. You not only need to have an accurate layout of the lawn, but need to effectively traverse the lawn in an exact way.

We've looked into creating a prototype that can do it properly, none of the vendors are interested in the per-unit cost it would take, but prices for stuff like good processing, GPU, INS, lidar and even mono cams etc are coming down every year.

Another big reason autonomous mowers are dumb is because mowing lawns is only part of landscaping maintenance. You'll still need all that stuff, and it's not like you'll get much of a discount if you tell your groundskeeping crew they don't need to mow, just do all the other shit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It wasn't that John Deere one, it was bigger and bulkier though it looked like it mulched the grass too.

Actually the first problem I thought of was that people would just steal them unless they were huge and came with cameras and had rape-whistles and shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So John Deere spent how many millions on R&D creating that automated lawnmower and gave it the A.I of Carl Spackler?

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Roombas do that random pathing thing too. Works fine for us. I could see where it would be annoying for a commercial application though. I wasn't paying attention on the pathing since I just saw it while running, but it didn't seem like a random path like the roombas.

Been googling around for it and none of the mowers look similar.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
That Jonh Deere lawn robot looks like it's trying to summon the spawn of Baphomet on that fine country lawn. I wonder how long until we have a reason to start up a "Robots that suck at their job and get sent to recycling" thread?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not sure why a lawn one can't just be run once by a person?

It's not like a car where it's got this massive variance in patterns or traffic that need to be accounted for. And it's not like a Roomba where things in the house can change frequently.

Just give that thing a detachable handle and let someone push mower it the first time. Then you never have to push it again unless something drastic changes in your landscape.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's how autonomous tractors and such work. You drive it once around the outside of the field and around any obstacles within the field and then it just cuts/plants/cultivates/etc the area that you specified so John Deere does know how to do that. It would require a very accurate GPS to do it though, which would probably make the thing too expensive. It's even worse than an ag GPS because if you're farming and off by an inch it's no big deal but in a lawn it would mean that you're leaving strips uncut or possibly running over part of a flower bed or something.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's how autonomous tractors and such work. You drive it once around the outside of the field and around any obstacles within the field and then it just cuts/plants/cultivates/etc the area that you specified so John Deere does know how to do that. It would require a very accurate GPS to do it though, which would probably make the thing too expensive. It's even worse than an ag GPS because if you're farming and off by an inch it's no big deal but in a lawn it would mean that you're leaving strips uncut or possibly running over part of a flower bed or something.
this 100%

Because the fairly low tolerances in the 10CM range, you really need an active feedback system, ex: through a perception system that tracks where you are and where you need to go.

Another idea is to simply detect the length of the grass you're cutting, such that the robot is always attempting to put one wheel several inches into already cut grass. This would do poorly in (literal) corner cases, but could be done pretty inexpensively.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>

I wonder how expensive it will be to make these tunnels.

Elon Musk Is Really Boring

If i recall the numbers correctly the price per km of Highway is 3-6Mil, the cost of km of tunnel is 100+ mil and that is not counting any of the sci-fi stuff needed for those car rails from the video.
In addition those car elevators are pure dethtraps, no matter how fool proof they make them world will always release a better version of fools. Maybe an underground parking garage type where you drive in and then park your car in a stall that is on the rails but elevator is just some Engineer mastrubation at this point.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If i recall the numbers correctly the price per km of Highway is 3-6Mil, the cost of km of tunnel is 100+ mil and that is not counting any of the sci-fi stuff needed for those car rails from the video.
In addition those car elevators are pure dethtraps, no matter how fool proof they make them world will always release a better version of fools. Maybe an underground parking garage type where you drive in and then park your car in a stall that is on the rails but elevator is just some Engineer mastrubation at this point.
I am a big fan of engineer masturbation, though.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I am a big fan of engineer masturbation, though.
I have seen people having trouble aligning the car for a car wash, i dont even want to think about getting people to align it on the pod to get it latched onto your car frame so it can drag you at 120+mph.
To tell you honestly i would wait for car elevator V2.1 before i drive my car into one.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Obviously this is 100% sci-fi but I love how everyone commenting on it seems to think that a hole in the ground is the most dangerous thing ever. I don't know if you've noticed but there are already a lot of things that you can fall off of in the average city and a simple railing is usually enough to keep most people from dying and for those that it's not, we probably don't need them.

3047422806_a97d830f50.jpg

20150912__goldengate1.jpg

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

It looks cool but I just see tons of ways it can cause big problems. Those elevators would be in constant use and how many things don't break all the time under constant use? Now, imagine it is going down when it breaks. What's that poor fool supposed to do then? What is the power system for the vehicles? I like the idea but there's a reason it's 'boring' right now. Musk has a lot of great ideas but I don't know the feasibility of this one.