Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Cool, I didn't know AP1 had a radar. Good chart. AP2 is definitely much better.
Yeah it's much more ambitious. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it does in their upcoming rollout.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it's much more ambitious. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it does in their upcoming rollout.

Hopefully well. I really like Tesla as a company. Doing great things IMO.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Forget about Tesla. The next car company is going to be... Airbus

http://europe.newsweek.com/airbus-unveils-self-flying-car-concept-565107?rm=eu

airbus-vahana-self-flying-car.gif

Take that, Uber!

khorum

Murder Apologist
Forget about Tesla. The next car company is going to be... Airbus

Self-driving cars are old news. Now it's all about self-flying cars

airbus-vahana-self-flying-car.gif

Take that, Uber!

Is there a live video or is it just CGI? No offense but the ching-chong company EHang broke the world record for sustained autonomous passenger drone flight and Dubai announced that EHang will be the first commercial autonomous drone taxis by this July.

Engadget said:
Passenger drones will begin flying over Dubai this summer
Welcome to the age of Personal Flying Vehicles.

The single-rider, human-sized quadcopter that whipped CES 2016 into a frenzy could be carrying passengers as early as this summer. As the head of Dubai's Roads and Transportation Agency announced at the World Government summit today, the Chinese EHang 184 passenger drone will begin "regular operations" around the futuristic city in July of 2017.

I heard they had a pilot program over winter but I couldnt find a video for it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I saw a Ford(?) commercial the other day, and it was basically about all the awesome safety features and how they'd help your teen drive; side mirror collision warnings, automatic braking for shit in front of you, etc. The premise was teen drivers are shit and would've hit all these things, but the car saved them.

It got me thinking that there's going to be a period here between fully autonomous vehicles and what we've got right now, where we have some of the worst drivers ever. The systems Ford was touting mean drivers in training learn that they don't really have to pay attention, because the car will take care of it.

Check my blind spot? Shit, what's a blind spot? The car's got my back!
Car pulling out in front of me, but I'm only half paying attention because I'm on my phone? Car can handle it.

It's going to be a scary transition phase. The commercial was supposed to elicit warm and fuzzies, but it kind of scared the shit out of me. It may take another 5-10 years when those systems are more prevalent that we see "beaters" with those features, but it's definitely coming eventually.

Edit: I think it was this one:

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Found an article that agrees with Tuco on this stuff.

The Way We Talk About Autonomy Is a Lie, and That's Dangerous
This is hardly the customer fantasy of "Netflix and chill" in the backseat
lol, I wonder if he knows what netflix and chill means.

It's a nice article, but a little pessimistic.

"Super cruise" like what Tesla has and a bunch of other OEMs, is here and works well under a lot of conditions. And as it improves people will become increasingly dependent on it no matter what the manufacturers tell them about not trusting it.

All the level 4 stuff though, it's probably as far off as the article says.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

That article is written by someone who clearly has never driven a Tesla. The people buying Teslas typically aren't green-wannabe's... the cars are just fun. And nice. The EV perks are just perks. Teslas are expensive cars for those who can afford them, just like EVERY OTHER EXPENSIVE CAR.

And we can't control how our electricity is made, idiot. That criticism of Tesla as if there's literally coal in them is just asinine. So, unrelated power companies burn coal to make electricity (which is being phased out) so therefore, using battery-electric vehicles is stupid? It's just a non sequitur. Having a BEV means you can get your power from anywhere, and as the power sources are cleaned up you don't need to worry about the car. If you continue burning gasoline you not only have to worry about the source of your fuel, you have to progressively get cleaner burns right along with the power plants. BEV's just make sense.

I don't even disagree that walkable cities with public transport are objectively better especially where it concerns energy footprint. But attacking Tesla/Musk over that is stupid. They don't control how the cities are laid out, they just market product that work within those cities.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
That article is written by someone who clearly has never driven a Tesla. The people buying Teslas typically aren't green-wannabe's... the cars are just fun. And nice. The EV perks are just perks. Teslas are expensive cars for those who can afford them, just like EVERY OTHER EXPENSIVE CAR.

And we can't control how our electricity is made, idiot. That criticism of Tesla as if there's literally coal in them is just asinine. So, unrelated power companies burn coal to make electricity (which is being phased out) so therefore, using battery-electric vehicles is stupid? It's just a non sequitur. Having a BEV means you can get your power from anywhere, and as the power sources are cleaned up you don't need to worry about the car. If you continue burning gasoline you not only have to worry about the source of your fuel, you have to progressively get cleaner burns right along with the power plants. BEV's just make sense.

I don't even disagree that walkable cities with public transport are objectively better especially where it concerns energy footprint. But attacking Tesla/Musk over that is stupid. They don't control how the cities are laid out, they just market product that work within those cities.

I don't personally spend time researching autonomous and electric vehicles because I think they are gay as fuck. I posted that because A. Elon Musk worship in the tech world is bordering on idolatry. B. I like to take little shots at the fat fuck fence sitter, partly because he's one of the few who's intelligence I have some respect for.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I posted that because A. Elon Musk worship in the tech world is bordering on idolatry.
You won't be laughing when Elon launches a Tesla to the moon on his demo Falcon Heavy, and it lands and get remote controlled there.

(selling the right to remotely drive The Tesla On The Moon complete with dashcam view should be keeping Space X afloat until the founding of Mars One colony)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't personally spend time researching autonomous and electric vehicles because I think they are gay as fuck. I posted that because A. Elon Musk worship in the tech world is bordering on idolatry. B. I like to take little shots at the fat fuck fence sitter, partly because he's one of the few who's intelligence I have some respect for.
Musk doesn't deserve worship, but he is thought highly of for good reason. He built two amazing and very different industries that are changing the world. Few people can claim they've built one, much less two.

He's BTFO traditional car companies and traditional aerospace companies. You have to respect that level of BTFO.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So, unrelated power companies burn coal to make electricity (which is being phased out) so therefore, using battery-electric vehicles is stupid? It's just a non sequitur. Having a BEV means you can get your power from anywhere, and as the power sources are cleaned up you don't need to worry about the car. If you continue burning gasoline you not only have to worry about the source of your fuel, you have to progressively get cleaner burns right along with the power plants. BEV's just make sense..

Well, the other thing to, people who say "the power comes from coal" do not understand that it's still cleaner overall. If tomorrow you were to be able to magically give everyone an electric car BUT the trade off was, all their power had to be made at modern coal plants? It would still be a decent trade. Overall the amount of carbon is nearly comparable thanks to the higher efficiency of carbon per energy in a power plant. But also, any carbon capture technology we ever do produce would be a lot easier to implement at centralized locations.

However, the reality is we know use a huge amount of natural gas, and the carbon per MWH is far, far, far lower than coal. It's still a straight up benefit to get an electric vehicle if you can afford it, in terms of carbon emission.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Well, the other thing to, people who say "the power comes from coal" do not understand that it's still cleaner overall. If tomorrow you were to be able to magically give everyone an electric car BUT the trade off was, all their power had to be made at modern coal plants? It would still be a decent trade. Overall the amount of carbon is nearly comparable thanks to the higher efficiency of carbon per energy in a power plant. But also, any carbon capture technology we ever do produce would be a lot easier to implement at centralized locations.

However, the reality is we know use a huge amount of natural gas, and the carbon per MWH is far, far, far lower than coal. It's still a straight up benefit to get an electric vehicle if you can afford it, in terms of carbon emission.

But I think the coal plants emit other stupid shit other than just co2, which makes the coal plants worse overall. Thats not a bad point. Hey maybe we should get rid of coal plants and build nuclear plants.

reece.JPG

khorum

Murder Apologist
Or we could improve carbon sequestration and close the carbon cycle.

The technology has been around for decades, in fact every Cap-and-Trade plan involves some requirement for a carbon sequestration system for so-called "clean" petrochem plants. Up until recently it was too expensive and was only net-energy positive at large scales, but new materials and some breakthrough catalysts are making it extremely efficient at smaller scales and at room temperature.

Even then though it would prolly just come up even with LNG-based hybrid fuels.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user