Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Are they just shittier? In Kingmaker they just get less build points than you and basically all the companions.
Kingmaker had mods to fix that, so all hirelings had the same shit as base characters and made them be trivially cheap to get. That game IMO was all about trying new builds and fucking with characters so that mod was a must. So there was at least that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Are they just shittier? In Kingmaker they just get less build points than you and basically all the companions.
They are the same, but you can't choose their race or appearance. You can only have 3 hirelings at a time and each class is only available once. So no 4 barbarian party and such.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They are the same, but you can't choose their race or appearance. You can only have 3 hirelings at a time and each class is only available once. So no 4 barbarian party and such.
Im sure they already have a mod to fix this.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So how do I make magic missile better? Hitting 4 or 5 times for 2 dmg each doesn’t seem to make it worth up leveling. Is there a non spoilery method for getting added spell damage that I’m missing or is it all just items I need to find that I haven’t or are coming later (I’m maybe midway into act 2 not entered moonrise yet)
you don't make magic missile better. it already has what makes it most useful, that it never misses. there are items sprinkled throughout the game that add things here and there. one item adds an extra missile, several add a couple points of lightning damage or acid damage or whathaveyou. none of them are going to make magic missile a nuke, but it's not supposed to. you use it when a creature has a couple of hitpoints left and you don't want to waste your barbarian or paladin hitting for 20hp, you use it when a creature is concentrating on something so you force them to make a bunch of concentration checks, or you use it when you absolutely have to hit a creature and their defenses are super high.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Kingmaker had mods to fix that, so all hirelings had the same shit as base characters and made them be trivially cheap to get. That game IMO was all about trying new builds and fucking with characters so that mod was a must. So there was at least that.

I dislike how much I had to mod that game to make it have what I considered to be basic features. You give me just all the classes and subclasses and then prevent me from making the full team that I want? Why would you do this. All the starting companions are bad and you won't let me fully respec them? If I go with henchmen they're inherently and permanently weaker? C'mon game, work with me here.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dislike how much I had to mod that game to make it have what I considered to be some basic features. You give me just all the classes and subclasses and then prevent me from making the full team that I want? Why would you do this.
I agree. They made those hirelings so fucking expensive, at least at the start of the game, and it also scaled up by your level, from memory. IDK why they made that so prohibitive. Like you said, you have 10,000 combinations of classes and multi specs to try and you cant. It was dumb, and second game did the same shit, like they didnt learn from the first one. And the second one had like 1,000,000 combos, lol.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So how do I make magic missile better? Hitting 4 or 5 times for 2 dmg each doesn’t seem to make it worth up leveling. Is there a non spoilery method for getting added spell damage that I’m missing or is it all just items I need to find that I haven’t or are coming later (I’m maybe midway into act 2 not entered moonrise yet)
I found a magic necklace in the Underdark somewhere that adds one missile regardless of level cast, which is really nice, not 100% certain exactly where I found it though.

At some point I thought wizards got something that adds their ability modifier to damage, or is that base? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of my hit for less than 4 damage.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
With Astarion the game is hinting at a confrontation with the master vampire that enslaved him in Baldurs Gate, once you reach that place, I mean why would you want to skip this? I hate his gay flamboyant ass, but im not skipping that, lol.

I stabbed Astarion to death for trying to bite me, then stabbed his stupid gay vampire dad to death too.

You don't have to partake in his buggery at all

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can respec the hirelings at Withers and make them whatever class you want and rework their stats.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Okay so yeah go Evoker Wizard and Magic Missile basically becomes one of the best damage spells in the game. Make sure to click the spoiler link to read it all.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can't believe I never thought to try this before, but you can just steal back all the gold you've spent at Withers anytime you want. Best to do it after each transaction, otherwise you end up with a really high DC to succeed. He doesn't react at all when you fail so you'll get it eventually, regardless.
You can respec them just like any other character. Only thing you can't change is their race, background, and appearance. All 3 of my hirelings are transmutation wizards, one with as much wis and medicine skill as I can get for the Experimental Alchemy checks, the rest just there for tranny stones.

One thing I haven't tried yet is making their stone and giving it to someone, then respecing the character to something else. Not sure if the stone disappears. There's also supposedly an exploit with them to get all 4 stone buffs but definitely not going to use that.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Gale has been my MVP for most of the game so far. Evoker not only has nice bonuses to damage but also can drop fireballs or ice storms right in the middle of the party and not hurt friendlies.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Okay so yeah go Evoker Wizard and Magic Missile basically becomes one of the best damage spells in the game. Make sure to click the spoiler link to read it all.
tl;dr: An Evoker wizard with magic missile is possibly the best single enemy damage dealer in the game.

Unless I've miscalculated something that's still well behind a Sorlock dropping EBs at ~90 damage per cast. That's with act II items too; it's a fair bit higher in act III. Not to mention the advantage of using a cantrip over using very limited upcast spell slots. Granted, EB can miss but that also means you can gamble with the gloves that work like GWM for spells.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
with how much voice acting is in BG3 I wonder if it's feasible to train a language model from eleven labs to do additional voiceover work for mods.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
Unless I've miscalculated something that's still well behind a Sorlock dropping EBs at ~90 damage per cast. That's with act II items too; it's a fair bit higher in act III. Not to mention the advantage of using a cantrip over using very limited upcast spell slots. Granted, EB can miss but that also means you can gamble with the gloves that work like GWM for spells.

I didn't look much into this and i know nothing at all of DND but i'm more or less making a character into this, is it still start warlock then go like 2lock/8sorc/2 wiz? or something like that?
im still only in act 1 though so i'm 2/2, but twinning EB is fun lol