Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Pretty shrewd and smart guy that CEO is. Used a readily known D&D name to get GOTY sold a shit load of his product, got his companies name into more plebs heads, now flashes his middle finger at all of it and back to making his worlds the way he wants them. Which divinity series was OK, but no baldurs gate 3 level good. Im hoping for some more sci-fi type shit. The whole high fantasy is just played out IMO. But sadly its prob going to be more high fantasy shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Pretty shrewd and smart guy that CEO is. Used a readily known D&D name to get GOTY sold a shit load of his product, got his companies name into more plebs heads, now flashes his middle finger at all of it and back to making his worlds the way he wants them. Which divinity series was OK, but no baldurs gate 3 level good. Im hoping for some more sci-fi type shit. The whole high fantasy is just played out IMO. But sadly its prob going to be more high fantasy shit.
It more comes off to me that they wanted to make BG3 all along, since they started making games in a dead genre.

Not doing DLC or BG4 means that WotC were either difficult to work with or financially too demanding.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Niche? Maybe, but dead genre? Just because you dont play them does not mean its a dead genre, dude. I can think of like a dozen or so games in the genre in the last decade or so. And thats not even counting the turn based weeb games that I dont get into.

• 1Like

Burns

I'd much much rather have a long winded game with decent to good writing than anything a AAA studio has produced in the last 15-20 years. If zoning out and occasionally skipping half of a conversation is the price for getting more Owlcat and Larian games, I will happily pay it. I also wouldn't mind more Wasteland games too, but I liked WL2 more than 3, for whatever reason (it's been so long I forgot why).

When it comes to BG3 DLC, I think that the people in senior positions (more than just Sven) don't like DLC. It's really as simple as that (understandable, as I also hate DLC; give me an Xpac or nothing (usually)). A conversation about BG4 on the other hand is more unknown.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Bah, at least this game is fully voiced. The others in the genre arent so not only do they inundate you with reams and reams of text, most of it is not even voiced. I think Wasteland 3 was the best that didnt get to chatty. They only said what needed to be said. Owlcat, on the other hand, gets all windy with their writing so youre fucking reading a book. Warhammer Rogue trader was petty bad in that respect. Not only was it long winded, some of the shit just lost me, no im not a warhammer 40K nerd. The Pathfinders were the same way...zzzzzzz.reading...zzzzzz.

Yep Pathfinder lost me quickly with their bullchit story times. The gameplay was actually pretty good but I can just imagine the blue haired cat lady they have writing all that tripe they try to pass off as a story.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Niche? Maybe, but dead genre? Just because you dont play them does not mean its a dead genre, dude. I can think of like a dozen or so games in the genre in the last decade or so. And thats not even counting the turn based weeb games that I dont get into.
I was talking about before Larian started, so you can subtract their multiple games from that 12 lol.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Thought about starting a new playthrough. Most times I play a martial class and the only caster I've played has been a war cleric. Was thinking sorcerer, any ideas/tips?

Was thinking at one time it would be nice if they did an expansion similar to Ice Wind Dale, just a dungeon crawl. Guess that's off the table.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Thought about starting a new playthrough. Most times I play a martial class and the only caster I've played has been a war cleric. Was thinking sorcerer, any ideas/tips?

Was thinking at one time it would be nice if they did an expansion similar to Ice Wind Dale, just a dungeon crawl. Guess that's off the table.
Make an olive-skinned, white-haired dwarf sorcerer who uses lightning/thunder. Name him Zeus.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It will never happen but I'd like to see Larian make a Fallout game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm

I'm glad he isn't giving that trash company wizards of the coast any more license money. I'm sure they are complete asses to work with. Now that larian is in the big leagues I can't wait to dive into their next in house IP.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Besides, those DnD rulesets are hard to make video games out of. And im sure WoTC gave them grief for wanting or modifying shit for the game to make it work better. Same with Owlcat, they should make their own IP and make their rulesets tailored for video game. Like the whole "resting" thing DnD loves, and it just does not make sense in video games. I would rather have a proper cooldown system of some kind.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Shmoopy

They should have made 1 DLC with a level cap of 20 similar to Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal. Super high level, post story, OP, uber build combat.

Basically like Pathfinder WOTR insane power trip combat.

THEN ... this would be the best RPG of all time.

Burns

Pretty good interview, with Sven and Lead Writer Adam Smith, asking some questions I haven't seen before or going into a bit more detail on others:

2024-06-06 01.53.00 www.gamepressure.com ac59cef8d2dc.png

2024-06-06 01.53.22 www.gamepressure.com 3136c9eb7d71.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's sad they decided to stop, but I can respect the reasons. If their heart wasn't in it, or they felt like there might be too much outside influence/interference this time, better they decide to let it be instead of producing something that pales compared to BG3 or burns them out