Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Great news since it could easily have been Beamdog, but someone needs to tell them to not try to be funny at all. Every attempt at humor in Divinity is massive fucking cringe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This guarantees coop since Larian is huge on the coop thing.

Also possibly a turn-based option? Turn-based is awesome in D:OS and the addition to POE2 was nice.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Don't want beamdog. They're deep with the SJW infection and had to introduce a forced tranny character in a game with high fantasy and gender changing magical items. Even Edwin's character arc had him being cursed to become a woman.

Larian has made quality already. We can expect more high quality and less forced trannies.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Don't want beamdog. They're deep with the SJW infection and had to introduce a forced tranny character in a game with high fantasy and gender changing magical items. Even Edwin's character arc had him being cursed to become a woman.

Larian has made quality already. We can expect more high quality and less forced trannies.

Yeah except those gender changing items have been in dnd forever. Only thing different is back then you were pissed and wanted to reroll for turning into a chick. I'm sure people look for those items now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Great news since it could easily have been Beamdog, but someone needs to tell them to not try to be funny at all. Every attempt at humor in Divinity is massive fucking cringe.

Larian's humor is VERY larian. It either hits or it misses. It usually misses, but I can appreaciate the attempt.

They made an entire RTS game mocking the social justice movement.

That said, they're the devs that I would trust most with Baldurs Gate. Obsidian tried hard to recapture it and failed, but I think part of that was nonsensical writing when the expecation was for gritty pseudo-realism and just that they were trying too hard to recapture it. Larian won't face the first problem... if they write something serious it will be surprising, and for the second it does need to be updated mechanically.

I don't think they'll make an Epic Game that captures the attention of people for a decade... but I do think they'll make a decent game. Decent for a baseline is just fine with me.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
I wonder if they'll stick with the adapted 2nd ed AD&D rules or if they do something different.

Colour me curious - looks like it's time to fire up BG1 for my 1000th attempt to finish it.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I bet it's 5e because I think they redid baulders gate module fore 5th.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah except those gender changing items have been in dnd forever. Only thing different is back then you were pissed and wanted to reroll for turning into a chick. I'm sure people look for those items now.

Which is why the tranny was bizarre. He was a tranny in a high fantasy world DESPITE gender changing items existing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I wonder if they'll stick with the adapted 2nd ed AD&D rules or if they do something different.

Colour me curious - looks like it's time to fire up BG1 for my 1000th attempt to finish it.

I sure as hell hope it's not 2e again because it doesn't translate to video games well at all. I want 5e, but I'd settle for 3.5

• 2Like

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
You would think 5e would be the obvious choice considering how popular it is - as I burst my tabletop rpg virginity on 5e I'd love to play a D&D video game based on rules I understand. What was going on behind the scenes in BG baffles me.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Well, I'd have to imagine that, even if Larian hadn't wanted to, WotC would insist on any new game using the current ruleset. It's one thing for the re-release of an old game to use a dated ruleset, it's another thing entirely when it's the first proper game release in years.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You know there'll be BG nerds out there furious about it

This is going to happen no matter what they do. It's probably one of the few fanbases that could put the Fallout fans (when 3 was coming out) to shame when it comes to resisting change in the name of nostalgia blindness.

BG2 was and still is one of the best games ever made, but the gameplay was garbage in many areas and the UI is barely functional, but some will be outraged by any of it changing.

I have faith in Larian. I only hope they keep a more grounded tone to it than DoS1/2

• 2Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if it will just be PC or include consoles also. Might have a big impact on how it plays.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I would almost like a new Forgotten Realm game. Based out of Silverymoon or even just Waterdeep.

• 3Solidarity

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’d like Pools of Radiance redone in an upgraded isometric engine, played the hell out of it on my C64 back in the day.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users