Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ya. A lot of the stuff in the game is really tuned and designed around a larger audience. Not necessarily a bad thing. But none of the games areas really come off / give a vibe of "dangerous."
BG2's underdark felt dangerous partially because you were stuck there after being stuck in fish city. You weren't in control of your party's destiny, just trying to survive in a world you were thrown in. Conversely in BG3 I'm pretty sure at any point you could hop back to the Druid town and come back to the underdark as you please.

The part of BG2's underdark where you get captured by Illithid, and then later you have to walk on eggshells around these psychotic dark elf bitches is pretty dangerous too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
BG2's underdark felt dangerous partially because you were stuck there after being stuck in fish city. You weren't in control of your party's destiny, just trying to survive in a world you were thrown in. Conversely in BG3 I'm pretty sure at any point you could hop back to the Druid town and come back to the underdark as you please.

The part of BG2's underdark where you get captured by Illithid, and then later you have to walk on eggshells around these psychotic dark elf bitches is pretty dangerous too.
Yea. You could come and go as you please and.. I never felt like my party could wipe and that we were barely skating by. I still like the game. Was just Underdark and a few more places that felt "off."

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Kind of in a solo gaming funk. Should I play this?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
The quests for the underdark in bg2 were also pretty solid with a focus on intrigue, double and even triple crossings inserted. Also a nice intro narration

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I keep shoving tadpoles in my brain. I don't know why. Then I forget to use them.

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 3 users

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
The quests for the underdark in bg2 were also pretty solid with a focus on intrigue, double and even triple crossings inserted. Also a nice intro narration

Those were definitely some great moments towards the end of the dark elf section.

There was a horror undertone to a lot of the stuff going on in bg2 that gave it some weight.

Could also be the comically large corpse-splosions npcs were constantly going through as spells and traps fired off that added to that.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I got this on release and I've restarted multiple times for different reasons but am finally on a stable playthrough. I finished act 1 for the first time last night.

I've been trying to avoid spoilers so I'll ask here. How big is this game? Like what percentage of the game is act 1? I took my sweet time exploring every inch of act 1 and it took about 100 hours.

• 1WTF

Borzak

yeah i get all those abilities.... then never touch them. flying and the passives are the only ones that ever made a difference.

I think it's because I rarely scout and set up for a fight. I wonder around till someone wants to fight and thrown down. Like grasshopper lol.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I got this on release and I've restarted multiple times for different reasons but am finally on a stable playthrough. I finished act 1 for the first time last night.

I've been trying to avoid spoilers so I'll ask here. How big is this game? Like what percentage of the game is act 1? I took my sweet time exploring every inch of act 1 and it took about 100 hours.
You've probably still got a few hundred hours left exploring everything. Though if you miss certain things it will cut down on that a lot

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think it's because I rarely scout and set up for a fight. I wonder around till someone wants to fight and thrown down. Like grasshopper lol.
Not sure if there is another 200 hours left, but probably another 100, for you if you move at the same speed. They were shooting for Act 1 being 1/3 of the game, but I think it's more around half of the game. Moreso because they added the second area of Underdark (Grymforge) as technically Act 1. The mountain pass might be considered part of Act 1 too?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Not sure if there is another 200 hours left, but probably another 100, for you if you move at the same speed. They were shooting for Act 1 being 1/3 of the game, but I think it's more around half of the game. Moreso because they added the second area of Underdark (Grymforge) as technically Act 1. The mountain pass might be considered part of Act 1 too?
It is. Act 2 is everything Shadow Cursed Lands.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
And act 2 feels like it drags on forever, might be because levels are slower, or because shadow battles that you rarely succeed perception checks for are annoying as shit.

Borzak

Act 1 seemed longer if you went through the underdark and also went through the mountain pass and did all that. If went and did just one it was a lot shorter. Act 2 was a short walk through the shadowlands and then just mostly all in the towers. The gauntlet was the biggest time sink in act 2 to me. On a playthrough the gauntlet would be much quicker if you weren't trying to figure it all out and just do it.

Unrelated. Anyone do a pure caster as their main? I have thought about it but then it turns into meh pretty quick thinking about it.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Act 1 seemed longer if you went through the underdark and also went through the mountain pass and did all that. If went and did just one it was a lot shorter. Act 2 was a short walk through the shadowlands and then just mostly all in the towers. The gauntlet was the biggest time sink in act 2 to me. On a playthrough the gauntlet would be much quicker if you weren't trying to figure it all out and just do it.

Unrelated. Anyone do a pure caster as their main? I have thought about it but then it turns into meh pretty quick thinking about it.
I did a dwarf storm sorcerer on the play through before my current one. The charisma lets you still be the face of the party which is nice.

Gameplay is fun but I just couldn't get into it roleplay wise. I'm very happy with my half-orc bard now.

Borzak

Finally used a tadpole power, was on my hotbar. Not sure why on the first playthrough I injected into my brain and it never showed on my hotbar.

Anyway pushed the spider boss back with it and it fell, into a chasm with no loot not a big deal h owever.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Finally used a tadpole power, was on my hotbar. Not sure why on the first playthrough I injected into my brain and it never showed on my hotbar.

Anyway pushed the spider boss back with it and it fell, into a chasm with no loot not a big deal h owever.
Are you specced into Cull the weak? it’s a fantastic passive

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

If you have a potion of feather fall and it's the right chasm you can actually float down there into the underdark and loot it, assuming it's that spider boss in the first act.