Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Cybsled

If you try to strongly force Asterion to stop Ascending, he will leave your party. It has to be his own choice ultimately...not too different than the Shadowheart choice with the spear. If you push him too far either way, he will go full evil or peace out and break the scepter to spite you.

If he ultimately decides to not ascend, he'll be kind of salty about it but ultimately he stays more chaotic neutral, dabbling in both evil and good, and genuinely seems happier.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Sucks Larian is done with this. An epic expansion with a level 20 cap like BG2's Throne of Bhaal would solidify it as best RPG ever.
Blame Hasbro for being dumb fucks and firing everyone they worked with. How ever Hasbro is also the reason we are getting Exodus so I only kind of hate them right now.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Sucks Larian is done with this. An epic expansion with a level 20 cap like BG2's Throne of Bhaal would solidify it as best RPG ever.

Sven expanded on why they didn't want to do that. Because the level scaling of the ruleset would basically turn your characters into gods in terms of power level, so to write an expansion with the existing / remaining characters they'd have to come up with a challenge that went way beyond the enemies of the main game. Once you start leveling few levels past 12 enemies like Raphael would be like the imps you fought at the start. He said it wouldn't be impossible to make a 12-20 game, but it'd be a new game, new characters, new setting, new stakes. And they didn't want to do that. They made their story, and moved on.

Patch 7 is releasing improved mod tools tough, so maybe fan made mod overhauls in a year or two?

"This next patch will also begin introducing our official modding tools, letting you change up visuals, animations, sounds, stats, and more to overhaul Baldur’s Gate 3 into the weird nightmare realm of your dreams."

Chris

Potato del Grande
Sven expanded on why they didn't want to do that. Because the level scaling of the ruleset would basically turn your characters into gods in terms of power level, so to write an expansion with the existing / remaining characters they'd have to come up with a challenge that went way beyond the enemies of the main game. Once you start leveling few levels past 12 enemies like Raphael would be like the imps you fought at the start. He said it wouldn't be impossible to make a 12-20 game, but it'd be a new game, new characters, new setting, new stakes. And they didn't want to do that. They made their story, and moved on.

Patch 7 is releasing improved mod tools tough, so maybe fan made mod overhauls in a year or two?

"This next patch will also begin introducing our official modding tools, letting you change up visuals, animations, sounds, stats, and more to overhaul Baldur’s Gate 3 into the weird nightmare realm of your dreams."
The original did it quite well, got more combat orientated as it went on, especially Throne of Baal.

They have plot threads to use, like going against Shar, Vlaakith or Zariel. Not sure how core to the setting they are to allow us to kill, Shar I'm sure is a big no but could go against someone as her avatar like we did Myrkul.

Anyway just got lv12 and did the Gortash related dungeons, was a pleasant surprise that he shut down Wyrm's Rock after I took out the golem foundry and even the waypoint was deactivated, so I had an extra dungeon to clear.

Ascended Open Palm Monk/Thief Half-Illithid Astarion is insane. He's just gibbing everything.

Edit: Lol Raphael sings his own boss theme? Dropped the Gnome Nuke on him then knocked him prone while Astarion beat the shit out of him.

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not sure if this works on above tactician, but Raphael can be completely turbofucked by Hold Monster. If you diligently go around and grab all the +DC save gear and max all of the related stats and options, you can have a very high chance of landing that spell as well. When you know that fight, the only real challenge is circumventing his reaction abilities.

And yeah Monk (or Stalker Rogue) Astarion is arguably the most broken character in the game. If you go elemental Monk, you crank out silly amounts of raw damage with bare handed flurries. And the game pretty much showers the player with great monk gear from start to finish. There are plenty of burst blow my wad then immediately rest damage builds that can beat him out, but nothing comes close for sustainable damage that deletes enemies consistently.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Finished the game, 75 hours.

Think I got mostly the good endings. Orpheus Mindflayer who lives and sends Laezel off his dragon, Karlach and Wyll heavy metal Avernus ending with alive father, Shadowheart romance with alive parents, unexploded Gale working at Hogwarts. Asterion is an evil vampire lord though...

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if this works on above tactician, but Raphael can be completely turbofucked by Hold Monster. If you diligently go around and grab all the +DC save gear and max all of the related stats and options, you can have a very high chance of landing that spell as well. When you know that fight, the only real challenge is circumventing his reaction abilities.

And yeah Monk (or Stalker Rogue) Astarion is arguably the most broken character in the game. If you go elemental Monk, you crank out silly amounts of raw damage with bare handed flurries. And the game pretty much showers the player with great monk gear from start to finish. There are plenty of burst blow my wad then immediately rest damage builds that can beat him out, but nothing comes close for sustainable damage that deletes enemies consistently.

Or just use ottos irresistable dance with decent spell dc, rendered orin, raphael and a bunch of others helpless

Fadaar

That guy
Finished the game, 75 hours.

Think I got mostly the good endings. Orpheus Mindflayer who lives and sends Laezel off his dragon, Karlach and Wyll heavy metal Avernus ending with alive father, Shadowheart romance with alive parents, unexploded Gale working at Hogwarts. Asterion is an evil vampire lord though...

sounds like the traditional good ending, think mine was basically the same

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider

Those are silly combos yeah, but still laugh the most at any char with multi attack/secondary + the mindflayer uber black hole spam. Delete half the screen at once.

Bald Brah

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Raphael can be completely trivialized with a runepowder barrel and globe of invulnerability. Just like most fights.

• 1Solidarity

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
IIRC Throne of Bhaal was a whole separate act with higher level cap. You could never "go back" to the main game.

For BG3 could just cap level in the main game and allow progression in the new act. Not hard to solve. :emoji_thumbsup:

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
IIRC Throne of Bhaal was a whole separate act with higher level cap. You could never "go back" to the main game.

For BG3 could just cap level in the main game and allow progression in the new act. Not hard to solve. :emoji_thumbsup:

I think he's more talking about more than combat balance in that - storywise with how BG3 ends there's not a lot of reason for the characters to be doing some epic high level adventure. Sort of cheapens out a lot of endings if it immediately segues into 'Oh hey, I am back, that problem was barely an inconvenience, lets go !'

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It probably won't happen, but I'd love for Larian to make goblins playable. I can't imagine it would require too much work; it would mostly involve adding dialogue choices.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Let's not kid ourselves, a BG3 expansion where the level cap was raised to 20 and the quality was as good as BG3 would be fun AF. I played multiple heavily modded BG1->BG2->ToB runs and by the end my Fighter/Mage/Thief was an absolute ridiculous level 40 monster fighting other absolutely ridiculous monsters and I loved every second.

And just like the above posts mention, BG3's combat isn't some highly tuned machine that falls apart if you leveled beyond 12. The itemization in the game COERCES you into obviously broken builds and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Let's not kid ourselves, a BG3 expansion where the level cap was raised to 20 and the quality was as good as BG3 would be fun AF. I played multiple heavily modded BG1->BG2->ToB runs and by the end my Fighter/Mage/Thief was an absolute ridiculous level 40 monster fighting other absolutely ridiculous monsters and I loved every second.

And just like the above posts mention, BG3's combat isn't some highly tuned machine that falls apart if you leveled beyond 12. The itemization in the game COERCES you into obviously broken builds and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I've mentioned this before, but I'd love to see a BG3 'Tactics'. Strip away the story elements and focus purely on dungeon crawls (and other environments). Provide a map editor so players can create their own content.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I've mentioned this before, but I'd love to see a BG3 'Tactics'. Strip away the story elements and focus purely on dungeon crawls (and other environments). Provide a map editor so players can create their own content.
Like the huge dungeon at the end of Tactics Ogre, would be great.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I mean theres plenty of high level stuff to use for a 15-20 party, just take a look at nwn, throne of bhaal or pathfinder:wor. Mutant super demons, demi-liches, real beholders etc etc

Bald Brah

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't think anyone is saying it can't be done. Maybe they were originally planning on a higher level DLC.

It's pretty obvious with how open ended act 3 is that most of it was balanced for a max level party. Rivington is skewed a little lower, but no matter which direction you go in Baldurs Gate proper, all the encounters seem geared towards max level players.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is what Icewind Dale was and it was amazing.

I think he's more talking about more than combat balance in that - storywise with how BG3 ends there's not a lot of reason for the characters to be doing some epic high level adventure.
Avernus vs Zariel. Astral Sea vs Vlaakith. These are easy, can tie into the existing story depending on your choices or have some new plot hook if your choices fucked it up.

Reaching a little but Good party vs Shar or Evil party vs Mystra/Selune? Could fight the Dead Three directly too.

Wouldn't be too far from what Throne of Bhaal was.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

Yeah they fired a ton of people and it's not going any further