Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Good luck importing that whOle thing into cad. ;)

Might be better to use the new version of pix4d (in beta, with dtm generation) and export a 5ft grid off of that.

Cad couldn't handle the full cloud on our end.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Going to put it in a browser for me? ;)

Let me get a high res textures going and we'll see how that looks

tyen tyen

Making a high res texture of this one right now. It'll probably take a day to finish....if it doesn't crash.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
By the way.....there is sure as shit an opportunity for you to make this a business. We'll need better quality models though.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
got thru the initial repass- just have 20 pictures now that are uncalibrated from the ~55 before initial ortho shows significantly less blank spots, but i am still going to refly it.

removed the brace from the epoxied swingarm for the camera that broke- it looks like it is all fixed- arm moves freely, no gaps et until i fire the drone up i won't know- batteries getting ordered today.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
outside landscape meshes - adjustable sizes - no need for models, just need the ground data. then the devs can "refine" the landscape with their textures and models.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Your choice. Multi-player would be pretty damn hilarious though.

Ya, single would take me like 1hr. Multiplayer a few hrs but then I'd start replacing a zone and adding spawns that you can kill and shit, lol.

By the way.....there is sure as shit an opportunity for you to make this a business. We'll need better quality models though.

Ya, I've wanted to do it a few different ways so far. If you want to slang it as a service, it can be sure as shit an opportunity for YOU to make it a business, imo.

Mantle Unity Asset(haven't purchased $550, data by openstreetmap): Asset Store

441471e8-bd4c-4c3e-92c7-6bb6eb148c31_scaled.jpg

MapBox Unity SDK (im in beta, vector3 tiles, data by openstreetmap): Announcing the Mapbox Unity SDK | Mapbox

nKpxQxe.png

Drone footage from you (I assume you use pix4d?)

5a415wB.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
tyen tyen

I meant selling it as a web service. Like sketchfab or propeller aero.

The 3d files don't look great. Even the high res one i just sent you isn't great, and its a large area and might look worse than the first one. I wish we could get the full cloud in there.
Looking forward to seeing the 2nd one though.

tyen

<Banned>
Can't get the second one in WebGL because it has an asston of vertices. I'll have to build the first one and see if it works.

Think lower altitude drones would be best, shrug.

gUFZ9hK.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can't get the second one in WebGL because it has an asston of vertices. I'll have to build the first one and see if it works.

Think lower altitude drones would be best, shrug.

View attachment 106721

Nah, the altitude isn't really the issue. I'd say 95% of it is the export quality of the 3D files from Pix4d and the other 5% is the camera quality/overlap/altitude/general flight planning stuff. I'm planning on upgrading to the SODA camera soon, just because I think it will help make better surfaces on asphalt.

I don't remember if Agisoft Photoscan can export fbx, but I would be curious to see the quality comparison. I saw someone do a side by side between 4 processing programs (Photoscan, Pix4d, Bentley and I never heard of the 4th). Pix4d was the best for matching and ortho quality, and also the worst for 3D texture files.

I guess I could clean up the point cloud a lot before making the texture....but I did that for a grain elevator last year and it suuuuuucks.

What else can you import for environments?

H9g4xZI.jpg

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
got thru the initial repass- just have 20 pictures now that are uncalibrated from the ~55 before initial ortho shows significantly less blank spots, but i am still going to refly it.

removed the brace from the epoxied swingarm for the camera that broke- it looks like it is all fixed- arm moves freely, no gaps et until i fire the drone up i won't know- batteries getting ordered today.
What did you do to get from 55--->20? Change from grid to free flight?

tyen

<Banned>
What else can you import for environments?

I can import: FBX, Collada, 3DS, Blender, and OBJ.

Obj would be my second preferred.

With CAD, it's not recommend to import anything from AutoCad directly into unity. AutoCad uses vector while Unity uses poly, meaning unity has to convert the file on import. And it does not take a whole lot for an object in AutoCad to have millions of polys, which Unity might crash on trying to do.

tyen

<Banned>
lol, if I do it at this angle, you wouldn't even know it was jacked in Unity

9.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea, those files look shitty when I zoom in pix4d, too. I wish there was a better way to improve the mesh texture automatically. The only way I know how to do it is really time consuming and still doesn't produce fantastic results.

Also, here is a full color 3d print that should be arriving tomorrow. I'm really excited to see it.....the color in this picture is WAY better than I was hoping for.
QInMtvRh.jpg