Banished

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Haha!Must ofbeen the early wake up for the canadian game this morning
biggrin.png
rrr_img_61098.jpg

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Pastures. you can force kill pastures to get food. but, likely the ideal is to let them fill up and then overflow=food.
That takes ALOT of time. and buying animals is very expensive. so, animals will not give you a fast turnover for food.
I've had no problem with food by utilizing gatherers, hunters, and fishermen.

Again, I'm playing this on hard... so I have no access to seeds yet. Every time a trader comes (and has seeds), I'm unable to trade despite the fact that I have 1k+ of most materials/items/food

At this point, even if i had seeds I'd have nobody to work the fields cause my population is dying faster than it is breeding.. I guess I'll have to start over and try smarter (though I thought I had done a great job for my first go)

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Fishermen seem to be a huge waste. Herbs are great, farms are potentially a lot better, but don't skimp on workers or they might not finish harvesting before the snow rapes your crop.

Caliane

Gatherers, fisherman, and foresters are a bit overtuned.

Fish advantage is they utilize wasted space. water. And a moderate food/time/worker ratio. Gatherer is more food/time/worker. and 3-4kinds of food.
Wood in general is the most important thing. you need it for building, for firewood. And firewood also sells well. too well. Foresters regrowing trees,allowing gathering/herbs as well..

Pastures are pretty good. their advantage is the secondary factor. Cattle give leather. Sheep give wool. chickens give eggs. And when maxed out, all give food as well. The main issue is it takes a while for pastures to fill up, and give you that food.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was banging my head against the wall with a lot of the same problems you guys are having until I built an early school during one game. Now I have a stable population of nearly 120 adults and 20 to 30k food. Turns out an educated population takes awhile but is massively effective. Some guides recommended building it later on but i but mine around 8 to 10 houses to take advantage of all the early children they were having.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Fires are devastating. Had a good thing going with 25 people, about 5 students and only 3 new kids. Stable food production, firewood, just expanded and was ready to setup a quarry plus a mine to secure stone/iron production. Then a fire breaks out in the middle of the winter, burning down my 6 neatly packed houses plus the school, despite me having a well nearby and 6 workers hauling buckets.
So now everyone was homeless, I lost huge amounts of food/firewood people had stored in these houses and even worse, I had to rebuild not 6 but 12 houses. Turns out, people don't want to go back to their previous familiy arrangements if given the chance.

Barely recovered from that, few years later the woodcutter/tailor/blacksmith and the barn burned down. Kinda gave up after that.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've had that happen. I try to not build everything to bunched up and usually have a space between everything. Still if fire hits a certain area of my main stone house section it will wipe me out even with my massive stockpiles.

I'm surprised you needed a quarry at 25pop. I didn't build a quarry till 80 pop when i decided on starting the conversion from wood to stone houses.

lindz

#DDs
When you are moving from wood to stone house, do you build new stone house or a boarding house first so you don't leave people out on the streets? I didn't realize that the poeple would be homeless the first time I did that and they ended up dying before I finished the house. Haven't done that again.
tongue.png

Early game house to pop ratio... are people finding it best to get a new house going every time you get 2 kids in the teenage years? Population problems are driving me nuts.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Saw this thread Friday, bought it when I got home. Spent every waking moment this weekend playing staying up until 5am. Can't stop thinking about it. This is the Oregon trail of settlement/city sims. The number of things you have to balance to get a successful town is awesome. The slightest miscalculation or misfortune and it quickly turns into a slow moving train wreck as you watch your town get decimated from pestilence, disease, famine, or freezing to the elements. Then trying to recover from that (if everyone didn't die) successfully is nothing short of amazing.

$20 well spent.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
When you are moving from wood to stone house, do you build new stone house or a boarding house first so you don't leave people out on the streets? I didn't realize that the poeple would be homeless the first time I did that and they ended up dying before I finished the house. Haven't done that again.
tongue.png

Early game house to pop ratio... are people finding it best to get a new house going every time you get 2 kids in the teenage years? Population problems are driving me nuts.
Children will marry once a male and a female reach 10 years early game I just find the two oldest male and female kids in my town and pin their homes to my side window to keep an eye on them. Then I pre build a house and pause it right before completion so I can un pause it right when they hit 10. Around 60 pop plus/minus 10 stop building homes until I'm dead certain my food production is heavily over producing.I also setup my first orchards if I haven't already done so. Now is also a good time to up my hunters from 1/3 to 3/3 since one hunter is starting to have trouble meeting hide clothing demand.

lindz

#DDs
Saw this thread Friday, bought it when I got home. Spent every waking moment this weekend playing staying up until 5am. Can't stop thinking about it. This is the Oregon trail of settlement/city sims. The number of things you have to balance to get a successful town is awesome. The slightest miscalculation or misfortune and it quickly turns into a slow moving train wreck as you watch your town get decimated from pestilence, disease, famine, or freezing to the elements. Then trying to recover from that (if everyone didn't die) successfully is nothing short of amazing.

$20 well spent.
It is amazing how quickly it can go from great to terrible. I've had a couple towns now where I think I'm doing awesome to find I made too many homes to quickly or something and have the whole town fail and have to restart. There seems to be a pretty big learning curve if you want to go beyond just a very basic little town. It is awesome though, loving the game.

Caliane

Children will marry once a male and a female reach 10 years early game I just find the two oldest male and female kids in my town and pin their homes to my side window to keep an eye on them. Then I pre build a house and pause it right before completion so I can un pause it right when they hit 10. Around 60 pop plus/minus 10 stop building homes until I'm dead certain my food production is heavily over producing.I also setup my first orchards if I haven't already done so. Now is also a good time to up my hunters from 1/3 to 3/3 since one hunter is starting to have trouble meeting hide clothing demand.
just to clarify one point.
year years and people years are not the same in this. 5 people years to 1 year year.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
I pretty much only play on 5x and 10x.... is this normal? Game seems horridly slow if not.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
It is amazing how quickly it can go from great to terrible. I've had a couple towns now where I think I'm doing awesome to find I made too many homes to quickly or something and have the whole town fail and have to restart. There seems to be a pretty big learning curve if you want to go beyond just a very basic little town. It is awesome though, loving the game.
some guy on reddit lost a 900 pop town in just one season because his blacksmith broke his tool and he had ran out :x

Caliane

how is that not recoverable?

Anyway, one of the first things I did, after building a trading post, was note that traders only list what you have on hand, for purchase.
meaning, if a trader will purchase, firewood, peaches, leather, coats. you only know this, if you have at least one of those at your trading post.
So I put 1 of everything in my trading post, just so I would know.

citizens will not consume items at the trading post. Nor will it rot, etc.
So you can actually use the trading post to store items you do not want them to consume.
You can hold items for an emergency, such as noted above.
Or some others. for example, blueberries from gathering. your townsfolk will grab them, and eat them as normal. making stockpiling them difficult.
if you however, place 1000 of them, or so in your trading post. your trader, will grab them and stockpile them.
And them manually release them for alch as you see fit.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
it wasnt recoverable because all his farmers then lost their tools, couldnth aarvest, people starved, went batshit crazy raiding every barn for food, and dying on the trek there. The bigger the cities, the bigger they fall ;p

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Damn, this game is unforgiving. Just started playing, got my first town up to like 55 adults and 25 children, and BAM, ran out of food and almost all of them died in 1 winter. Dropped me down to 8 adults 3 kids in no time flat, couldn't recover from that.

Kinda got shafted on my starting spot though, was on the tip end of a little peninsula with unbuildable mountains at the other end, had to spend a fortune building a bridge early on, and having to harvest my resources from pretty damn far from my town. Next time I know to scout out my starting area and re-start immediately if I get boned like that again.

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
So far the worst disaster I had was when I allowed in a group of nomads; one had smallpox. Just on her way to the doctor's office, she infected 50-people by passing along the main road between my two major cities. The ensuing outbreak caused the death of everyone.
frown.png

I raged for about 5-mins over that one.