Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty crazy, hopefully there is one by me
Record Breaking Batman: The Killing Joke Theatrical Release Adds 300 Theaters
Due to overwhelming fan demand and sold out theaters in major markets, more than 300 theater locations have been added for the big-screen debut of Batman: The Killing Joke, now showing at over 1,000 U.S. cinemas and making this the widest rollout for any event in Fathom Events' history. The acclaimed graphic novel-turned-film will be shown for just one night on Monday, July 25, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. local time. This event reunites the foundation of Batman: The Animated Series with Bruce Timm returning as executive producer, and actors Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprising their seminal roles as Batman and The Joker, respectively.

In addition to the animated feature, audience members will get to experience a special introduction from Hamill, plus a never-before-seen documentary about the actor and his passion for this project. The event also includes a special behind-the-scenes look at how the Joker's memorable, yet disturbing, song and dance number was recreated for this feature. Batman: The Killing Joke is a 2K presentation that has been remastered for this theatrical event.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for sharing that. Looks like there's a couple theaters near me that have showings available.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie is out for download, really wanted to watch it in the theater but cant.

Hopefully this does a decent job, I enjoy the DC animated movies. I would probably pay the absurd ticket price to watch Under the Red Hood and others on the big screen

Siliconemelons

They cheapened the story with this. I really wanted to like it too.
This is what I figured when people where talking about the nudity or lack there of, and someone said "they don't need to have nudity, or the implied rape_assult because the joker shooting her is a sufficient act to try and push gordan over the edge"

I was like, umm... no the entire point of the story is to show that the joker is remorseless evil pysco bastard and pulls out every stop to drive gordon into madness and over the edge and prove his point in justifying his own (the jokers) actions and behavior and why he does the things he does.

So imo cutting out/down that aspect is castrating the story and it's overall point.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Batman: The Killing Joke (2016) - IMDb

Was decent, worth a watch I would say. Typically the DC animated movies are pretty solid. They blow away pretty much all the high budget movies in terms of plot and story which is sad.
Agree completely.

Do you think the writing is just better for the animated stuff, or is it possible the stories for the animated stuff wouldn't work as well if they were live action movies? Seems weird that they keep shitting the bed with the live action stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I honestly think they would work just fine in the actions movies, we have seen superhero movies work well when done under competent producers. Look at Marvel, or the Dark Knight series. On the other side you have companies like Sony who turn X-men and Spiderman into pure ass. When big bucks get involved they don't wanna take risk and people who don't know and love the content end up being the directors/writers/producers.

All of the animated stuff is much lower budget and risk the writers are actually people who know the characters and background and wanna do them justice. At least thats my opinion.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I honestly think they would work just fine in the actions movies, we have seen superhero movies work well when done under competent producers. Look at Marvel, or the Dark Knight series. On the other side you have companies like Sony who turn X-men and Spiderman into pure ass. When big bucks get involved they don't wanna take risk and people who don't know and love the content end up being the directors/writers/producers.

All of the animated stuff is much lower budget and risk the writers are actually people who know the characters and background and wanna do them justice. At least thats my opinion.
You're probably right. Sucks that "good writing" is considered high-risk, though, especially since bad writing has been costing them profits and fans.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don't know if you have ever seen Kevin Smith talk about writing for the Superman movie but it pretty much confirms that there are many out of touch people with too much money in Hollywood. It's a decently humorous rant on it.