Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
exactly. if you are so concerned with doing an origin story for characters who have been embedded into pop culture for decades, it should be done by the time the opening credits are finished.
Zack Snyder did an excellent origin story /world building trick in Watchmen that was panels to a comic book set to a Bob fucking Dylan song. And it was excellent. The guy CAN do things like that effectively. Those three All-Star Superman panels above could be 30 seconds of a movie. Cut to Clark Kent being a news-guy and go from there.

Also Kevin Smith decided that Batman peeing himself a little in a revisionist history of Year One was a good idea. The guy wrote exactly one good comic book, and it was a Daredevil.

Despite his late career nadir I still have soft spot for the pot addled fucker, and what he said is true...except that in the universe that was presented the motivations of Superman and Batman DO make sense. However, because they are consistent in the universe doesn't make the characters any good.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Kevin needs to pick back up the sugar and put down the pipe.
Babylon is like 2 8 year old kids hiding in grandpa's truck playing on the CB radio saying fuck and shit to anyone listening just because they think its cute.

Fatman is better but only due to his cohost Mark carrying him on the show.

I'm shocked he even said anything semi bad about anything much less this, he seems to stray from any sort of negativism. I got sick of him doing a multipart show over the director of the last fantastic 4, only so much throat gagging tongue boxing one could take. I like the new guest thing they do at times but that was too much. He doesn't seem to hit the pipe as much for that show. Hell its way better when its just Mark or if Mark takes over most of the show.

He just need to stop or slow down the monkey juice. That stuff is leaching more madness into his brain than mercury. Its like watching mentally challenged Billy become a drunkard.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Anyone see the documentary about the death of Superman? The original script was written by Kevin Smith. It was actually a really good documentary, revealing the stupidity of Hollywood, and especially the producers/executives who are in charge of the big production companies.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Anyone see the documentary about the death of Superman? The original script was written by Kevin Smith. It was actually a really good documentary, revealing the stupidity of Hollywood, and especially the producers/executives who are in charge of the big production companies.
"The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?"

Yeah I saw it on HBO a while back. It's an interesting peek into how Hollywood makes the sausage. You could say that ultimately the system worked and what would have been an absolute disaster of a movie died in it's crib. It's just amazing how far along the whole thing got and how very close it came to seeing the green light. If you watched MoS you can actually see little things here and there that closely resemble some of the concept art that was originally for the Burton movie.

The guy who made it has the whole thing up on YouTube.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
In a way, I want the movie to do well, so we can see a DC universe. But if they are rewarded too well, they'll make more crap movies.

What Should We Expect from 'Batman v Superman's Second Weekend? - Box Office Mojo
Same boat. If it makes just enough so they greenlight other projects, but still a lot less than they were hoping then hopefully they'll realize quality actually matters.

Of course it's Hollywood so they'll probably just churn out more shit but with a lower budget

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A freakishly bizarre dream sequence and several minutes of protagonists watching YouTube videos beg to differ.
The intro to Batman is ok. You all know his origin in detail, what it does establishes the tone ofthisBatman in a couple minutes and the rest of the origin story is shoved under the rug.

The into of the Justice League is completely wrong. When you realize that you could entirely cut the entire scenes without changing absolutely nothing in the entire movie, you ask "ok, what deleted scenes did they remove to make room for that shit?". You should have just Wayne seeing Wonder Woman's WW1 picture somehow, because it provides context to the end of the movie, but the rest? Whoever had the idea of putting all that in the movie should get a restraining order preventing him or her from getting within 100 yards of any movie studio.

Oh, and Bruce needs to get the picture without Wonder Woman coming with stupid shit like "I can't access the drive where my most incriminating picture is, so I guess I'll give it to you so my secret is out".

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Batman v Superman in a nutshell:

*Rehash Batman origins, as if we forgot*
Batman: "I don't like Superman"
Superman: "I don't like Batman"
Lex: "I have no clear character motivations"
*Bisi falls asleep*
*EXPLOSIONS*
The End

29% Rotton Tomatoes

drazon

Lord Nagafen Raider
I watched it yesterday. I did not think it is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It just is not on par with expectations. It is a 7.5 or 8. Decent action, weak story, feels like a setup for Justice League.

I felt as though it was originally intended to be Batman V Superman. It was almost finished being written, and the studio was like, you have to add Wonder Woman. So then they were like, well crap, we need a bigger bad guy, okay, lets throw in Doomsday.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I felt as though it was originally intended to be Batman V Superman. It was almost finished being written, and the studio was like, you have to addThe Justice League.
FTFY

There's two parts to that movie. The Batman vs Superman courtesy of Luthor, which more or less stands on its own (with a few bad points), and THEN, you have all the added parts that have make close to no sense, and they all revolve around the future Justice League movie. The whole Wonder Woman steals drive and returns it? The Time Travel vision ("am I too early?")? The let's watch youtube origins of Cyborg and some clips of Aquaman and Flash since "we haven't decided their origin stories yet"? The whole Parademons dream assault and Lex Luthor doing Mother Box sounds so that you know about the next movie? The corny "they'll have to fight" at the end? All of this feels shoehorned into an existing movie. Not only that, but it breaks the rhythm of the movie at multiple points.

Side note: I think Doomsday was already intended to be the big bad. Too much of the movie is getting ready for Luthor to get his pet monster for that to be a late addition. And funnily enough, it makes the addition of Wonder Woman in the final fight work ok. Getting her there is not good, the fight itself? Very watchable. There's some stupid in the fight that can easily understood from the fact that the fight IS designed to force Superman to get close and personal with Doomsday in order to die, and adding a second character that, unlike Batman, isn't completely outclassed and should be able to shove a Kryptonite spear up Doomsday's ass without being affected... well, that makes him simultaneously heroic and stupid.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's some stupid in the fight that can easily understood from the fact that the fight IS designed to force Superman to get close and personal with Doomsday in order to die, and adding a second character that, unlike Batman, isn't completely outclassed and should be able to shove a Kryptonite spear up Doomsday's ass without being affected... well, that makes him simultaneously heroic and stupid.
Nice run on sentence. The guy that you said was outclassed had just pushed in Superman's stool repeatedly. And without Batman kiting Doomsday with Kryptonite, that fight was unwinnable.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Batman v Superman in a nutshell:

*Rehash Batman origins, as if we forgot* to try and piggyback on Bale's good name
Batman: "I don't like Superman" Because Batman "destroys" ANYONE who has a 1% chance of being villains. Weren't you paying attention??? This is why we need Origin stories.
Superman: "I don't like Batman" So he could say "The bat is dead" again...Bale.
Lex: "I have no clear character motivations" They told me I was playing the Joker. Then Snyder said play it both ways and we'll name your character in Post.
*Bisi falls asleep* You clearly had 6 cups of coffee.
*EXPLOSIONS*
The End

29% Rotton Tomatoes
ftfy

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
At the end of the day, I'm just tired of fuckin' CGI. It's not exciting anymore. There's literally no modern day CGI that impresses me.

It's real power is when it's used to touch up practical effects (See: Mad Max).

Jait

Molten Core Raider
At the end of the day, I'm just tired of fuckin' CGI. It's not exciting anymore. There's literally no modern day CGI that impresses me.

It's real power is when it's used to touch up practical effects (See: Mad Max).
You're saying what a lot of people say, the same way we all want a better X,Y, or Z, we just don't know HOW. It's hard to pinpoint when we hit the limit, but for me it was the Brawl in Matrix 2 with all the Smiths that finally made me pull a Seinfeld and toss my hands up. Lord of the Rings is possibly the only exception, but that was CGI used to achieve what had already been dreamed by another artist/author. When Superhero movies don't deviate too far from source material or rather the source material that everyone draws upon and not just a select few it should work just fine... We don't need bigger, louder, BOOM. Just stick to the story and let the CGI fall in where it should.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Nice run on sentence. The guy that you said was outclassed had just pushed in Superman's stool repeatedly. And without Batman kiting Doomsday with Kryptonite, that fight was unwinnable.
well, first off batman beat superman while he was wearing armor. he didn't have armor when doomsday was around. also, cue the old joke about batman having some 18 months to prepare to fight superman. doomsday just showed up. as silly as it would be for a live action batman, i was really hoping for him to be flipping around over doomsday, evasion-tanking him, while wonderwoman just shredded him. as it was, outside of the kryptonite mist grenade there wasn't much for him to do.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have a screener I can watch. I watch five minutes of the movie, and then turn it off. Congrats DC, I've now watched Catwoman more times than this POS. And my guy won.