Battletech

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'm so glad this doesn't have 3050+ stuff, succession wars > clan invasion.

Funny how most of those screenshots have the mechs in 'dead in 5 seconds' locations, but I probably just have MWO ptsd.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U

Funny how most of those screenshots have the mechs in 'dead in 5 seconds' locations, but I probably just have MWO ptsd.
Thought same. Keep in mind though unlike MWO this is turn based.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

When I read about what happened to the clans in the later years of the Battletech setting, it really made me wonder how a group of inbred mongoloids managed a successful invasion of the Inner Sphere in the first place. I mean seriously, clan culture is about as backwards as Islam.

*edit*

Although now that I reread that crack about Islam at the end, I guess it really answers my question about how they successfully invaded the Inner Sphere.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
When I read about what happened to the clans in the later years of the Battletech setting, it really made me wonder how a group of inbred mongoloids managed a successful invasion of the Inner Sphere in the first place. I mean seriously, clan culture is about as backwards as Islam.

*edit*

Although now that I reread that crack about Islam at the end, I guess it really answers my question about how they successfully invaded the Inner Sphere.

Lol

Though I never really read any books or anything, the one thing that kind of always bothered me was how the clans basically were technologically more advanced (initially I guess not sure how the post invasion stuff went or if it did?). The Inner Sphere not having industry because of the constant war and being outgunned in practice would make sense, but that whole 'hundreds of years and technology didn't get better' even when they were still pumping out (at least a few) mechs made no sense to me.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The entire premise is sort of like this. The Innersphere of inhabited planets goes into a dark ages of sorts because war. Huge of amount of technology, communications, mobility is lost. A large portion of the military of the Innersphere leaves, taking all this old tech with them. Because the entire exodus is militaristic. The resulting organization of the clans is also militaristic. In response to the total war doctrines in the Innersphere, involving the use of Tactical nukes and just no rules war etc. The Clans, having limited resources/bodies end up with a complete honor culture when it comes to invading and fighting between themselves. The greatest honor is generated from using the least amount of troops, a Clan v Clan conflict literally involves competitive bidding between the commanders of each side, and its grounds to get your shit annihilated if you breach the code. If you want to capture an enemies factory, the defenders and the attackers don't destroy the factory, they fight somewhere agreed, and to the victor goes the spoils. When the Clan invasion begins the Innersphere gets rolled. Ultimately, the Clans agreed to a battle that they ultimately lose and because of this bidding/honor idea they agreed to a long 15(I think) year truce. So if the Clans just rolled through horde style the Innersphere would have gotten rolled. But all their internal politics/honor code has them competing for planets and prestige among all the Clans.

The Clans technological advancement never stopped in their exile. They retained the knowledge lost when it came to mechs and the like, and no problems deciding to make soldiers out of the genomes of their most decorated warriors in vats

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
The Clans technological advancement never stopped in their exile. They retained the knowledge lost when it came to mechs and the like, and no problems deciding to make soldiers out of the genomes of their most decorated warriors in vats
Forgetting the fact that the Inner Sphere is a "free" society as well. You have elections, red tape and backlogs and the usual nonsense that humans do which makes shit stall. The Clans were a pure military culture. Everything revolves around being the greatest warrior and combat leader ever and from the lowest civilian castes to the highest echelons of Bloodnamed Councils, everyone supports that.

it really made me wonder how a group of inbred mongoloids managed a successful invasion of the Inner Sphere in the first place. .
They explain a bit about keeping the Trueborn warriors pure from genetic aberration, so it's less inbred and more Gattaca.

NO MAD CAT NO $$$
It's called a Timber Wolf you fucking slag.

Last edited:

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
mad1.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Those of us from the civilized part of space know it as a Mad Cat.
Well the people that actually made it (you know, a mech that is worth a damn instead of the IS trash you call mechs [seriously wtf is up with the Gurkha, No-Dachi and all the four legged frog looking mechs...might as well call the Inner Sphere Weeabo Central and spawn a new house just for Neckbeards]), call it a goddamn Timber Wolf.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
In Battletech Online (3025 or some thing? I don't remember was on old Gamestorm) I used to load up a Stalker with a full setup of Large Lasers (I think you could fit 8 out of the 10 slots with them). It got one shot off before overheating, but god damn was it glorious to one shot basically 80% of mechs, especially those faggot jumpjet mechs where you'd just wait until the apex of their jump while they spammed out worthless light weapons and one shot them midair lol.

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
These games always look cool when I click on them and then I forget about them and they disappear from my mind forever. Why can't these fucking games just be out....? :(

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In Battletech Online (3025 or some thing? I don't remember was on old Gamestorm) I used to load up a Stalker with a full setup of Large Lasers (I think you could fit 8 out of the 10 slots with them). It got one shot off before overheating, but god damn was it glorious to one shot basically 80% of mechs, especially those faggot jumpjet mechs where you'd just wait until the apex of their jump while they spammed out worthless light weapons and one shot them midair lol.

Sounds about exactly like mw 4 i think it was. Online matches went only one of 2 ways. Daishi and Atlas all in a little circle bumping into each other mass ac20ing each other limbs and then a few like me hiding in the hills with Nova cats with like 9+ clan er large lasers one shotting cockpits and if you missed at least whatever spot you hit was gone. Biggest danger was other Nova's waiting for you to overheat in one big glorious alpha.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So beta is out.

The actual core engine/gameplay is solid - no issues at all. Controls are decent, though the UI is very nonspecific. For instance, you have a heat bar (of course) but the weapons show the hit %, damage.... but it's anyone's guess as to what total heat sink capacity is and how much each weapon adds if you fire it? OK, kind of critical.

There also seems to be literally only one tactic that works right now which is drive behind a mech and shoot it right in the ass. Everything else is futile. Long range weapons tickle and do nothing. Even an Atlas can do literally nothing unless up someones tailpipe and even then, in a hilarious display of puzzling gameplay decisions, nearly all your weapons will still miss A HEAVY MECH despite being literally next to it. I mean look, I get it's 'tacticool combat' and all that but still, that's kind of silly.

I also haven't quite figured out if PPCs even do anything yet, they just seem to always miss. Besides that, sometimes you randomly 'proc' placed shots and/or if they fall down - not really sure why or how, but other than that there appears to be no targetting of specific components (at any range), things just tend to hit the stuff you are closest to.

The balance and mechanics of the weapons and armor are very odd still, though because mech designer is not in and there's no way to tell what the relative skill of the crews are (only fixed mechs and crew available right now), it's kind of difficult to say beyond first impressions if there's just unfinished balance work to be done or if maybe the default shit is just terrible and not optimized.

I also don't like the randomized voiceovers, kind of because the UI is illustrative, but not actually informative. The mech pilots will say something like "I'm injured" to literally everything from two points of damage to 'left torso exploded, mech fell over and I'm about to get executed by a Catapult'. Similarly they say things like "severe armor damage" but it doesn't seem to correlate to anything specific damage points or part damage on the UI, but who knows.

So it needs work, at the least the engine and combat system FUNCTIONS fine. If they add real numbers in to all the UI components, fix the balance issues (why does an atlas not instantly vaporize a light mech if it hits with ac+4 med lasers +SRMs???) then I think it will be a fun game.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

*edit*

Islamic State in the Inner Sphere!

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So beta is out.

The actual core engine/gameplay is solid - no issues at all. Controls are decent, though the UI is very nonspecific. For instance, you have a heat bar (of course) but the weapons show the hit %, damage.... but it's anyone's guess as to what total heat sink capacity is and how much each weapon adds if you fire it? OK, kind of critical.

There also seems to be literally only one tactic that works right now which is drive behind a mech and shoot it right in the ass. Everything else is futile. Long range weapons tickle and do nothing. Even an Atlas can do literally nothing unless up someones tailpipe and even then, in a hilarious display of puzzling gameplay decisions, nearly all your weapons will still miss A HEAVY MECH despite being literally next to it. I mean look, I get it's 'tacticool combat' and all that but still, that's kind of silly.

I also haven't quite figured out if PPCs even do anything yet, they just seem to always miss. Besides that, sometimes you randomly 'proc' placed shots and/or if they fall down - not really sure why or how, but other than that there appears to be no targetting of specific components (at any range), things just tend to hit the stuff you are closest to.

The balance and mechanics of the weapons and armor are very odd still, though because mech designer is not in and there's no way to tell what the relative skill of the crews are (only fixed mechs and crew available right now), it's kind of difficult to say beyond first impressions if there's just unfinished balance work to be done or if maybe the default shit is just terrible and not optimized.

I also don't like the randomized voiceovers, kind of because the UI is illustrative, but not actually informative. The mech pilots will say something like "I'm injured" to literally everything from two points of damage to 'left torso exploded, mech fell over and I'm about to get executed by a Catapult'. Similarly they say things like "severe armor damage" but it doesn't seem to correlate to anything specific damage points or part damage on the UI, but who knows.

So it needs work, at the least the engine and combat system FUNCTIONS fine. If they add real numbers in to all the UI components, fix the balance issues (why does an atlas not instantly vaporize a light mech if it hits with ac+4 med lasers +SRMs???) then I think it will be a fun game.

Turns out my backer level was full game not beta. Did sound like lots of chances to do feedback. You layed it out well, make sure to actually let them know! PS: Your smackdown in the WW2 RTS got deleted in server move, you need to re-educate duder over there.