Beauty and the Beast (2017)

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Good god you're a faggot. And a fucking retard. By your fucked logic, there's no reason we shouldn't have Obama-sons running all over the place in Braveheart.
Dont fucking ruin the masterpiece with sich derogatory statement.

B-Biscuit

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think Szila is saying its not SJW fags here but theatre fags.

Which seems like a defensible argument to me. But I didn't see the movie. And I think seeing black people singing in english language in 18/19 century France would be pretty annoying. But theatre is gonna theatre.

My guess? Probably not worth whining about SJW.

During the latter part of the 1800s and early 1900s, numerous black artist and scholars visited and made France home. Julien Girard, a Guadeloupean scholar of Latin and Greek visited and became a professor of philosophy at the Lycee Louis-de-Grand. African American scholars such as Meta Vaux Warrick Fuller and Henry Ossawa Tanner became residents of Paris. Prominent African American leaders like Ira Aldridge, Frederick Douglas, W.E.Dubois, and Booker T. Washington visited France.

Afro-French - Afropedea

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think people, and specifically *our* people, are a lot more cognitive of overt media shenanigans than they were literally 5 years ago. Yeah, it is a literal thing with theatre stage productions to just use whomever. However, to a casual person who has even a little inkling of what is going on socially in our media, stacking minorities in a movie that doesn't directly take place in a minority heavy location is suspect. Especially with modern movie sensibilities leaning hard to the SJW side of the spectrum. Sub 13% means there needs to be representation in -every- work, regardless of historical setting or general accuracy to the source material, apparently. Maybe in France it was different at the time, but even then the original did not include minorities because that's how the story was told.

Haven't seen the movie, and as an adult male without kids I most likely will not. But if they are shoehorning in demographics that literally did not exist in the original due to pre-dating the current SJW movements, then it is kind of a bad thing. 1/10 characters does not have to be black. Unless we are going to BET and requiring that 70% of all characters must be white. I'm sure that will go over swimmingly.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Box Office: 'Beauty And The Beast' Tops $550M Overseas For $984M Worldwide Cume

So this one is about to clear 1 Billion international?

Upcoming Disney stuff (among other things):

GoTG2 in May
Jack Sparrow for Memorial Weekend to steamroll Wonderwoman
Cars 3 to fill Happy Meals with toys till Star Wars
Royalties for renting out RDJ/Marvel Studies for Sony's latest Spidey-Reboot.
Thor vs. Hulk
Star Wars VIII

Disney's gonna murder everyone this year.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
saw it, was good.

and ya shoehorning in minorities - IN MY OPINION- is just stupid for the time period, esp with the only guy in town -who has books- being black....just....no.

rest of it i didn't mind all that much.

and yes, disney is going to destroy the box office this year.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saw yesterday. Like everyone else, i think was stupid to shove down our throats the minority aspect. Even my gf was like "why there are so many black and asian in XVII century France?" And Plumette was a housekeeper, not a dancer or whatever she was.

Luke Evans was spot on. He did a great job being this selfish, gigantic asshole. On the other hand, Emma Watson was bad, really bad. She couldn't give any emotion and you could see was difficult for her to act towards cg characters.

6/10

Last edited:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
It's not about being PC or not, it's about conventions that exists and are not the same for all productions. If you take a movie like, say, Mel Gibson's Apocalypto, there is a great work done to create a feeling of realism. You hire mexican actors of mayan decent, you carefully recreate clothing and textiles based on archaeological studies, you have the actor talk in what we believe is something similar to language used in the time and place the movie depicts, etc. But when you take something like Joe Wright's Anna Karenina, the source material is a russian play set in Russia, yet, the film is spoken in english with a cast of non russian actors and there is a tremendous work done with the sets and the film making to play with the notion of make-believe (a movie based on a play about people in an upper class where appearances are more important than reality). Movies run a broad gamut going from the very "realistic" to the very "artificial" and there is probably a bigger tradition in theater and in opera to have things lean toward the latter. Typically, musicals are among the most "artificial" movies there is and, as such, there is a number of conventions in play, a number of tacit agreements between the spectators and the film makers. People will start singing and dancing and that's how parts of the story will be told, that's one of the many conventions, that's supposed to be accepted by the spectators when they enter the movie theater. The only thing I am saying is that, apparently, in Beauty and the Beast they add another convention that is routinely accepted by theater, opera or ballet spectators: any ethnicity can play any part.

Obviously, for something to become a convention, it takes familiarity and familiarity takes time. So, at this juncture, it's only natural for people who are not familiar with this convention (as it comes from other art forms) to find it jarring. Just like the singing for someone who has never seen a musical or a reverse angle for someone who has never seen a movie.

It's not about accepted convention. It's about hypocrisy. You can't have a society that on one hand screams because Death Note is set in America, or Scarlett Johansson in the role of someone who was Japanese, and then supports seeing black people within a ball room and positions of power, in a setting where slavery was still an institution. Hell, Szli, you can't even have a white dude in a historic non-white setting anymore, like Last Sumarai, even if the entire story is focused on why he's there (And the history does allow him to be there), without people totally up in arms.

I mean, it's great theater people pluck whoever to fill roles--it's how it should be. But as I tried to tell you in the GG thread, there are consequences to the news media constantly polarizing everyone with race. That street will run two ways (And it's starting to.), and it will ruin these advances in culture through that poison pill

So it really is about PC stuff, it's just not from the angle you believe.

Last edited:

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sounds like a majority of the people here need to wash the sand out of their vaginas because they are complaining about the pigment of someone's skin and how unrealistic it is in a fictional disney movie.

kudos

<Banned>
Sounds like a majority of the people here need to wash the sand out of their vaginas because they are complaining about the pigment of someone's skin and how unrealistic it is in a fictional disney movie.

WE WUZ KINGZ!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Started watching with wife but she passed out and I didn't finish it, but am I the only person that thinks Gaston is actually a cool guy?

He takes rejection really well, has courage to protect his community, and inspires others as a leader. Bell was kind of a bitch to him. I like Gaston

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I like Gaston. He's probably one of the more popular Disney villains.

Also, I find it strange that this is coming out on DVD already and it's still in theaters. Watched a Bluray rip last night, and went to confirm that our local theater is in fact still showing it. Bizarre.

Siliconemelons

Gaston was not a bad guy.

think about it

the castle protectorate of the town was nowhere to be seen, nor even remembered after only 15ish years - so I would assume even when the castle was not cursed etc. it gave 0 shits about its town and people- the town was on its own.

We see from the opening song that Belle is a pretentious bitch - but the town is operating well- and Gaston, its primary hunter/gatherer... he then wants to defend the town from a cursed beast that has taken up residence in the castle that never cared about or protected the people of the village- he died... I doubt Belle or the best will change their ways, that entire town is screwed.

spronk

FPS noob
so are you saying the movie is a metaphor for the current Islam vs the West conflict, with Gaston representing the white patriarchy, Belle the feminist liberal, and the Beast represents third world Muslim immigrants who are cursed to die with their family unless the white girl falls in love with them and marries them?

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
so are you saying the movie is a metaphor for the current Islam vs the West conflict, with Gaston representing the white patriarchy, Belle the feminist liberal, and the Beast represents third world Muslim immigrants who are cursed to die with their family unless the white girl falls in love with them and marries them?
giphy.gif

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw it yesterday, and found it below average. Emma Watson was a poor choice, I'm sure Kirsten Stewart could do better.
Pros: it's very faithfull to the original disney, Lumière and Big Ben were great, Gaston was great. The story with Maurice was nice.
Cons: LeFou - just nope. The opening ball scene : cringe worthy. Cold hearted Belle. Too many songs. If you want to add black people, add a powerfull black king during the opening ball room to show that the Prince had the most extravagant and exotic guests.