Beetlejuice 2

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was surprised, I thought reviews were positive but I haven't seen shit for advertising. Thought this wasnt coming out until Halloween time

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
I was surprised, I thought reviews were positive but I haven't seen shit for advertising. Thought this wasnt coming out until Halloween time

Apparently they said: Fuck marketing! It's Beetlejuice BITCHES!!!!!!!!!

Also it made 13 million in previews and the trades estimate 100-110 Domestic this weekend.

Pretty great reviews for a legacy sequel. Ill prob see it, not much else to do this weekend.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, at only $100 million dollar budget it looks like it's going to be a huge success so I won't be surprised if there's a Beetlejuice 3.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Saw it yesterday. It's decent enough but a bit all over the place. It's like they had a brainstorming session for potential plots of a sequel and decided 'you know what? Let's just do them all!'

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw it yesterday. It's decent enough but a bit all over the place. It's like they had a brainstorming session for potential plots of a sequel and decided 'you know what? Let's just do them all!'

Honestly, this has been kind of a theme, not just for movies but for a lot of shows too. Lots of projects these days now feel disjointed and cobbled together, kind of like a movie (or show) version of Frankenstein's monster. It sucks.

In the old days, you had these very experienced, very powerful auteur types who would take the reins and dictate just about every aspect of the project: writing, casting, production, direction, etc. They didn't necessarily DO everything on the project (though some did), but they did exert their influence and control over just about everything. This meant that the final product was a pretty good representation of one person's VISION.

Projects today suck so much because they have no VISION. It's ok to have a writer's room of 20 people, but someone has to pull all those ideas together, take charge, and make the movie coherent. People these days are largely afraid to do that because, in some ways, it requires you to be a dick- or at least be willing to tell someone, "Sorry, your idea just isn't going to work for this project." People, including some directors, are terrified of blackballed by the studio for being "mean" or for not being inclusive enough.

• 1Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't think Burton has an excuse but I know Raimi made comments about not having control of shit in safe terms.

I know his vision on Dr strange was butchered. No idea if it would have been better. He did make spiderman 3

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

rewatched the original saturday evening with family who had never seen it (kids) and they all enjoyed it, probably will see the new one during the week and if i like it may take them out next weekend

its one of the biggest box office openings of the year which just kinda shows what a weird places movies are in

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This checks out. There's a lot of the movie that absolutely didn't need to be in there.

I went with 3 other people and nobody likes it much, even the two women that love most movies, especially cheesy horror.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>

rewatched the original saturday evening with family who had never seen it (kids) and they all enjoyed it, probably will see the new one during the week and if i like it may take them out next weekend

its one of the biggest box office openings of the year which just kinda shows what a weird places movies are in

Oh no, this means we are in for even more decades late sequels. Gal darnnit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't offensive, lots of memberberries. Can see why it's doing alright.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Fun, but not great, movie

Monica Beluccis character was more or less pointless

Just agree, and cry pardon, because you have forgotten the face of your father.
Animated GIF

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
This was fine. Unsure how to describe it but, despite being Burton, it seemed uninspired on his usual flair. Had some solid moments and callbacks. The finale was stellar.

Juvarisx

Florida
Fun, but not great, movie

Monica Beluccis character was more or less pointless

Animated GIF

Tim Burton likes to cast his girlfriends. Helena Bonham Carter while a great actress was in all of his movies because of this. Monica Bellucci is his current GF so now you see why she is there even though she had nothing to do.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Tim Burton likes to cast his girlfriends. Helena Bonham Carter while a great actress was in all of his movies because of this. Monica Bellucci is his current GF so now you see why she is there even though she had nothing to do.
I believe Burton and Belucci started dating while filming, so maybe he cast her as an ice breaker?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I believe Burton and Belucci started dating while filming, so maybe he cast her as an ice breaker?
This makes more sense now. So Tarantino always includes his crush + a foot scene, and tim Burton includes his crush + a dismemberment scene.

Someone do Wes Anderson...

• 1Like