Bicycling

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Just got this bike on Sunday from my local bike shop.

Specialized Bicycle Components

rrr_img_69337.jpg

Really good deal since it's a 2013 model. (under $2k)

I'm not a biker. Last bike I owned was a BMX bike 16 years ago.
I got this for triathlons. I've been borrowing bikes and figured I should finally get my own. I'll be putting the aero bars on.
Decided to get a road bike instead of a tri bike since actual tri bikes are a lot pricier, also maybe I'll start biking outside of triathlons now.

I'm really happy with it so far. It's incredibly lightweight. Frame & forks are carbon fiber.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Nice bike! I started on a Specialized Roubaix. Loved that bike, but the Specialized sizes don't fit me well. I ride a 58 on my Cannondale. The equivalent on a Specialized was a tad big, and the size down was too small. Regardless, the ride was amazing for our "chip and seal" roads in north Louisiana.

Brad2770

Rode today, almost passed out from heat exhaustion. Now I have a headache that a cool bath and some medicine can't get rid of. Any suggestions?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gotta stay hydrated every day through the week. Also, I find its not that bad since I ride every day so I think I get acclimated during the ramp up through the days in the 80's until we get to those high 90's with high humidity days of summer here in the mid Atlantic.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
My 8 month old Son is starting to stand so I need to get him on some wheels.
I've always lover 1900's to 1920's motorbikes so I designed it on Solidworks around that style.

Balance Track Racer.

rrr_img_69494.jpg
rrr_img_69493.jpg

Just got to finish the seat and bars.

I'm going to build him a mini Downhill bike when he's a bit older
smile.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
That's fucking amazing. Mad props. I'd love to get one of those for my kids.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Thanks man, I took it home on the weekend to show him and couldn't keep him away from it
smile.png

I've thought about making some to sell, but I've got far too many projects on the go that need to be finished.

I'm building a Downhill bike for myself, then one for my wife and then finish this and that.... then etc.

Back on topic, I went to the "You Yangs" (Victoria, Australia) yesterday for a fang, I'm very unfit .. Not hitting all the jumps I should be, not as fast as I should be, still had a blast!!!

Not me but this is the track i was playing on.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Shaved nearly 4 minutes off my previous personal best on my favorite trail. All my other runs have been in the 28-29 minute range and I got it done today in 24:11. Feels awesome
smile.png

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Shaved nearly 4 minutes off my previous personal best on my favorite trail. All my other runs have been in the 28-29 minute range and I got it done today in 24:11. Feels awesome
smile.png
Nice work! That is a huge chunk of time off.

It always amazes me how much better I get at biking at the end of the season vs the begining. Like with skiing, I can generally even take a couple of seasons off and pick up right where I left of the previous one. Hitting the hardest trail on the mountain day 1 with all of my speed, technically abilities and lack of fear intact. Mountain biking on the other hand, I feel so slow and sluggish on day 1 of the season compared to where I usually end up skill wise by the end of it. It isn't just an "in shape" thing either because I exercise regularly year round. It definitely is a "bike shape" thing.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I set out for a nice "12 mile" ride on some local paved trail... and it turned into 24 with 1000 feet of climbing before I knew it. I kept thinking something was rubbing when I was riding, then I looked at Strava and realized it's all fucking up hill.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Getting back into cycling. 5th bike ride in a year (I took a break due to school) and I decided to be adventurous today. ;p Alpine Dam which includes 5 steep climbs, not including the dreaded 7 Sisters of Mt. Tamalpais (all 7 being hefty climbs). 35 miles in about 2 1/2 hours.

10527774_10104611882427565_3937947316501970360_n.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The tour started yesterday if anyone follows professional cycling.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Very nice. How's it ride (beyond slowly)?
It's hilariously good fun to ride, and way quicker/more nimble than you'd expect. I rode it through a local pit at 8psi, and it's comical how it clears everything - you just fuckin' plow into it and the bike does the rest.

It's somewhat comical (and a bit depressing) how little bike you actually get out of these things for the money though. This was $1850 out the door, and it has a craptastic cassette on it and mediocre brakes. I have an XT cassette on the way for it along with a OneUp, but I'm still not sure how I want to gear the front. It has a ton of granny gear right now which is meh for the trail, but I think I might appreciate it in the winter. I'm on the fence about going 30 or 32t for the front, leaning towards the 30T. I definitely want to 1x10 it, mostly to eliminate the front derailleur as a spot for snow and ice to build up in the snow.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Just went for my first real trail ride on it, here's a copy/paste of what I posted over at MTBR.

BoWREin.jpg

I'm super happy with the geometry on this thing. I'm 5'10/175lbs and the medium fits me spot on. I picked up a set of Atlas bars for the riser and a 100mm stem that should have the front end pretty much perfect. The ground controls are great, and at 10psi I was plowing through everything no problem. The stock gearing climbs REALLY well, and the whole bike is just a heck of a lot faster and more nimble than I expected it to be.

One minor sniggle: You can really get used to not hearing chain slap when you run a clutch derailleur. I have one on my regular MTB and will definitely be putting one on this.

The one thing that I flat out don't like about it is the brakes. Holy hell, these things are an abomination. I may just be spoiled by the XT set on my Scalpel, but it's like they have two settings - slow you down a little bit, and lock right up. Even after properly bedding in the calipers they are a pretty big disappointment on a ~$2000 bike. They're going in the bin first thing and getting replaced with XTs, which are already in the mail as I type this.

Brakes aside, this thing completely kicks ass and I'm definitely glad I went with it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That just seems like a ton of money for not much bike. Basic frame, no suspension, some big tires and it's magically $2k? I just don't get it.