Bicycling

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Anyone get any cool new gear for xmas? My present to myself is converting to tubeless, getting a Garmin 510 so i can stop using my phone, and grabbing some new MTB shoes and a helmet. Thinking about a new bar though to see if I can get rid of the numb hands.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone get any cool new gear for xmas? My present to myself is converting to tubeless, getting a Garmin 510 so i can stop using my phone, and grabbing some new MTB shoes and a helmet. Thinking about a new bar though to see if I can get rid of the numb hands.
I got some apparel, and a fresh cover of powder last night (because we've had rain for the last week). But no new cycling specific stuff.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wife got me a cycleops fluid trainer for winter and summer weekday riding. Was pretty pumped to get it as the summer months in Vegas just make it too difficult to ride unless going super early AM

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
czIhtm4.jpg

Seventh

Golden Squire
^ Damn right. I rode this morning. Fuckin' 18* out when I started, but I only needed 21 miles to break 3k for the year. Not much by pure roadie standards, but since more than half of my rides are on singletrack I'm pretty stoked about it.

In related news, after grenading the rear hub on my Fatboy I picked it up today, relaced with a sexy new Hope hub. Red wasn't my first color choice but they're hard to come by this time of year and I got a solid discount on it from my LBS. Now I just need some damn snow...

fzesT6h.png

Eonan

Doer of Things
So I have decided to get back into biking and picked up a 2015 Giant Defy Aluxx today. I had been searching for a few weeks for a good entry level bike that wouldn't break the bank and had been looking at BikesDirect. Decided to go in to my LBS for a fitting and ended up walking out with a bike. Will take some less shitty photos later.
rrr_img_87149.jpg

Seventh

Golden Squire
Also, it finally snowed up here, albeit just a tad. Cold as fuck and windy tonight, but I ended up sweating my ass off anyway. Fatties are a blast.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Solid! That's the Defy 1, yeah? 105 groupset?
Yep! All 105 components. Took it for a somewhat brief 2 mile ride this afternoon, had planned on going much farther but really underestimated the windchill and came back with numb hands (ordering gloves as I type this).

Eonan

Doer of Things
bike looks awesome except for those pedals!
Hah, to be honest the idea of clip in's terrify me. The amount of bad drivers (students and old people) in Lexington is astounding and I am not sure I like the thought of getting my legs stuck to the bike if I get hit. I will probably pick a set up though for longer rides eventually.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hah, to be honest the idea of clip in's terrify me. The amount of bad drivers (students and old people) in Lexington is astounding and I am not sure I like the thought of getting my legs stuck to the bike if I get hit. I will probably pick a set up though for longer rides eventually.
On that bike, you'd be fine with just twisting out. MTB they're usually stiffer to get out of.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With SPD's you can adjust them really loose while you get more comfortable too. Its a step worth taking, something to consider down the line. Any worries you have about them are completely unfounded.

Seventh

Golden Squire
With SPD's you can adjust them really loose while you get more comfortable too. Its a step worth taking, something to consider down the line. Any worries you have about them are completely unfounded.
This man is correct. I was in the "fuck clip ins, never!" group as well when I first got my road bike. Just set them as loose as you can at first and you'll be fine. Practice on grass for half an hour and then head out. Just get used to unclipping before you actually stop and it'll be second nature in no time.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Looking at REI's Tuscany Cycling trip. Anyone done it? Or France Pyrenees?
$3500 w/o airfare seems pretty steep for "up to 43 miles a day". Looks like an asskicking place to ride, but if you go there solo and just rent a bike, I'm sure you can Strava up some good routes and get a ton of mileage w/o the group.

I did that over in Norway earlier this year and it was incredible.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
If you run some spds you'll be fine, as others said set them up loosely at first and expect to fall a couple of times at first. You can even buy some mtb style shoes(I use the giro privateer) and have a very walkable clip in shoe, plus the tread part helps guide your foot into the cleat.

Also, don't worry about the bike staying attached, every time I've crashed or been hit, I've popped right out. I believe the upward force needed to pull out of spds is like 30-40lbs at max tension.