Bicycling

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
So it's starting to get lighter in the am and pm here so my mind has turned to bike commuting again. Last year I was about to pull the trigger on a new CX style bike (the roads here are awful, I seriously dislike road bikes after 20+ years on an MTB and I also have a couple miles of rough and potentially muddy track between my place of work and the bike paths). Then my wife went and bought a house so that cash went into wallpaper and paint.

I'm looking again and have decided upon aCAADX 105after trying a bunch of bikes and reading way too many reviews. I like this one as the frame is good enough to merit upgrading the wheels etc. at some point in the future.

I'm sticking on my Shimano 520 pedals and have bought some of theGiro Privateerin red as they're a nice fit, if they turn out to be crap I'll blame Fifey
smile.png

Anyway, waffling over does anyone have recommendations for some gloves? I dislike the fingerless type, the seam at the cut-off annoys the crap out of me so I want full fingered. My current ones are lightly padded MTB ones by Giro and they have basically fallen to pieces along the seams, stitching coming apart and holes in a couple of the fingers. I don't ideally want to spend a fortune but I don't want cheap crap either. I'm currently leaning towards something likeLouis Garneau Creekin black as white is poncy, but have never had anything of their brand before. Any suggestions?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I've had a pair of LG gloves before, they held up for a good two years before disintegrating so I have no complaints. Cross bikes make the best commuter bikes too, plus you can take it out on the weekends and get muddy.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Throwing it out there - now that I've had a few proper runs in the snow, fat biking is AWESOME. Holy shit what a good time. It's a different kind of workout than regular MTB - you definitely work a lot more to go less distance, but ripping down fresh singletrack with big stupid tires is hilariously fun.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I'm looking again and have decided upon aCAADX 105after trying a bunch of bikes and reading way too many reviews. I like this one as the frame is good enough to merit upgrading the wheels etc. at some point in the future.
Check out the Giant Revolt too. Same price range, similar components. That's the way I'm leaning for the spring. I joined a CX team and figure I'll have a monopoly on DFL for the year, but it looks like a blast.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So it's starting to get lighter in the am and pm here so my mind has turned to bike commuting again. Last year I was about to pull the trigger on a new CX style bike (the roads here are awful, I seriously dislike road bikes after 20+ years on an MTB and I also have a couple miles of rough and potentially muddy track between my place of work and the bike paths). Then my wife went and bought a house so that cash went into wallpaper and paint.

I'm sticking on my Shimano 520 pedals and have bought some of theGiro Privateerin red as they're a nice fit, if they turn out to be crap I'll blame Fifey
smile.png

Anyway, waffling over does anyone have recommendations for some gloves? I dislike the fingerless type, the seam at the cut-off annoys the crap out of me so I want full fingered. My current ones are lightly padded MTB ones by Giro and they have basically fallen to pieces along the seams, stitching coming apart and holes in a couple of the fingers. I don't ideally want to spend a fortune but I don't want cheap crap either. I'm currently leaning towards something likeLouis Garneau Creekin black as white is poncy, but have never had anything of their brand before. Any suggestions?
I keep looking at these gloves, but I'd never wear them...
CRC x GIRO DND GLOVES | Cars-R-Coffins

Throwing it out there - now that I've had a few proper runs in the snow, fat biking is AWESOME. Holy shit what a good time. It's a different kind of workout than regular MTB - you definitely work a lot more to go less distance, but ripping down fresh singletrack with big stupid tires is hilariously fun.
You're basically a monster-truck on that thing right?

Seventh

Golden Squire
You're basically a monster-truck on that thing right?
Pretty much. I broke down and bought aBlutofor it (front fork) but it won't be here for a few weeks. Even fully rigid it has a ton of squish (I ran 6PSI today), and in the snow the trails that are normally rocky are all filled in like ski slope runs. So I end up just hauling ass through areas I spent the summer wiping out on. It's a totally different kind of riding and just a whole hell of a lot of fun.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Damnit Seventh!, I thought I'd settled on a bike, now I have to go in the Giant shop too...the 2 main LBS don't sell Giant as they have their own show a couple blocks over.

edit: actually looks like the Revolt in the same price bracket as the CAADX (the Revolt 1) has only Tiagra components, so I'm still leaning towards the Cannondale. May still have to try it though. Don't suppose it matters too much to you though, it will, be fully blinged with anodised bits within a week
tongue.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Pretty much. I broke down and bought aBlutofor it (front fork) but it won't be here for a few weeks. Even fully rigid it has a ton of squish (I ran 6PSI today), and in the snow the trails that are normally rocky are all filled in like ski slope runs. So I end up just hauling ass through areas I spent the summer wiping out on. It's a totally different kind of riding and just a whole hell of a lot of fun.
Make sure to get the cold adapter thing for it (if it gets that cold?). I know it loses a lot of it's absorption once it gets really cold. I was looking at one on a mukluk and still haven't decided.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Went for my first ride today with the new pedals and must say my fears were definitely unfounded. Didn't have any issues stepping in and out of them and generally found the ride more enjoyable (as enjoyable as a 22 degree ride can be).

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Hubby and I finally got on our bikes again. Mill Valley -> Sausalito -> Alexander Blvd -> Hawk Hill (Headlands) -> Alexander, and back into Mill Valley and up Mt. Tamalpais. Felt incredibly strong and was interesting not having cars on the road because of the Golden Gate Bridge closure.

1014974_10152798383507758_2889005607034845659_o.jpg

Seventh

Golden Squire
Hubby and I finally got on our bikes again. Mill Valley -> Sausalito -> Alexander Blvd -> Hawk Hill (Headlands) -> Alexander, and back into Mill Valley and up Mt. Tamalpais. Felt incredibly strong and was interesting not having cars on the road because of the Golden Gate Bridge closure.
Look at you with the Enve aero wheels you bastard.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Kind of OT, but since the actual fitness thread here is full of arguments between fat people I figure you lads might be interested...

If you're in a colder climate and hate the fuck out of the gym this time of year, grab a set of snowshoes and go crush some trails. It's pretty good cardio and a fine reason to avoid the trainer for a day. As it turns out it's not a bad cardio workout either. It's like walking through a Christmas card up here right now.

$250 all in with poles and a tote bag and it's a great way to kill a few hours outside and get your sweat on.

Amazon.com : Atlas 10 Series Snowshoe - Men Outdoors

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah two or three winters ago when we had regularly truckloads of snow for weeks on end I knew that if I lived somewhere like you do that snowshoes and XC skis would be an investment. But I usually don't have that much snow to deal with. Nice sunny day in the high forties here, got some good road biking done before this nor'easter dumps its misery.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If anyone's looking for a new set of mountain bike wheels check out this dude from Buffalo on FB under "Cycle Wheels USA". I got Hope Pro 2 Evo's laced to Stan's Flows, handbuilt and solid, for $575 shipped. That's with the trials/SS hub, he said the geared one would have been twenty less. He's got 29 and 650b Stan's hoops, Flows Crests Arches, and a dealer account for hubs from Hope, I9 and CK in any ano color they make. Best prices you're going to find and good reviews of his work.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yeah two or three winters ago when we had regularly truckloads of snow for weeks on end I knew that if I lived somewhere like you do that snowshoes and XC skis would be an investment. But I usually don't have that much snow to deal with. Nice sunny day in the high forties here, got some good road biking done before this nor'easter dumps its misery.
So far this winter in Maryland has been pretty great for bike riding. Tons of days of 40+ temperatures and very little snowfall. I'm hoping it stays this way for the duration of the winter, especially after last year's snow-filled monstrosity of a season.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd like a nice mild February and March, and a DRY April/May, but then again don't I always.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Tried to go into my lbs to talk to them about ordering a new roadie, they were closed for inventory. First world problems for sure.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What you going to get? Chainlove/Competative Cyclist running some good deals on Pinarello full carbon bikes depending on your size.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
What you going to get? Chainlove/Competative Cyclist running some good deals on Pinarello full carbon bikes depending on your size.
Felt f75. I'm avoiding full carbon since it's a race bike and don't want to deal with crashing and having to worry about it exploding on me. Plus the f75 has about as close to track geo as you can get on a road bike.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Felt f75. I'm avoiding full carbon since it's a race bike and don't want to deal with crashing and having to worry about it exploding on me. Plus the f75 has about as close to track geo as you can get on a road bike.
Solid choice. My road bike is a FeltZ5and I love it. ~2500 miles on it and never a single issue. I upgraded the groupset to Ultegra just because I got a good deal on the parts, but other than that I just ride the hell out of it.

Mine's full carbon, but (knock on some more wood) the only crashes I've had have been the usual stop sign/intersection unclip debacles.