Bicycling

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone got a good video showing how to change a tubeless MTB tire? Never done it, I've been lucky, but it's time to replace my rear tire from wear. Still the OEM tire, on a bike I bought in 2008. Guess I should be riding more.

satael

Silver Squire
I signed up for strava just earlier this month too and hopefully I'll get some more riding done once my bike gets some much-needed service next week.
It's pretty noticeable how much better the bike now feels after the service. Turns out the front axle had broken which I hadn't even noticed since I thought all the sluggishness was from the rear wheel getting bent a bit (after loosing a spoke).

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
So, I have been out on a few rides on my new Trek 8.4 DS. I am newb to riding, so I have been doing about 6-mile rides on some hilly country roads before moving to longer rides on the trails.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the rear gears seem to randomly change a few times without any input changes. I'll just be riding along at a static pace and *click* *click* *click*. Is this normal?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone got a good video showing how to change a tubeless MTB tire? Never done it, I've been lucky, but it's time to replace my rear tire from wear. Still the OEM tire, on a bike I bought in 2008. Guess I should be riding more.
Check the Stan's No Tubes site. Generally just google and there should be plenty. If you know how to change a tire in general its the same thing with no tube, add your sealant, get the bead inside the rim channels, and pump. Might be able to hand pump, might need compressor. I don't bother with all that soapy water shit personally, never found a need to, clear any thorns and shit from the tire first and get any sealant boogers out of the tire. Might need to pick some dried sealant off the bead and the rim too.

satael

Silver Squire
If the derailler doesn't align properly with the cassette it might have trouble deciding on the right sprocket though this usually comes up when you change the gear (it will take a long time for it to actually change or it won't change unless you do "2 gears up, 1 gear down" switch).

Seventh

Golden Squire
So, I have been out on a few rides on my new Trek 8.4 DS. I am newb to riding, so I have been doing about 6-mile rides on some hilly country roads before moving to longer rides on the trails.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the rear gears seem to randomly change a few times without any input changes. I'll just be riding along at a static pace and *click* *click* *click*. Is this normal?
Brand new bike? If so, chances are the new derailleur cable stretched a bit. Older bike - same deal, it just needs a tune-up. It's not uber-difficult to do, but if you aren't comfortable with it most shops will do it for you for around $20-30.

Edit: For clarity, I didn't mean that setting up a derailleur should cost you 20-30. That price is usually for front/rear derailleurs, adjusting/bleeding your brakes, torquing things to spec, etc, etc. The 20 minute hero tune.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it is a brand new bike. Like 15 miles on it. I'm supposed to take it back in for a free 30-60 tune-up.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, it is a brand new bike. Like 15 miles on it. I'm supposed to take it back in for a free 30-60 tune-up.
Did you buy it at ye olde local bike shop? They want you to like the bike more than anyone else (so you keep coming back to them). Bring it in and explain and they'll look at it.

I'm torn: my seat was too high (I think), so I dropped it a bit, but now I feel like I dropped it to far as I'm not getting enough extension during riding. I'm thinking I might bring it in, but I sort of want to just adjust it myself. Also I got some sweet fenders for a nice discount that I never put on from my LBS and I feel like a jerk bringing the bike in without them on.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most bike shops will do a free "tune up" in the first year to address "cable stretch" on a brand new bike purchase, which is all that you need is someone to adjust the cable tension and it will stop ghost shifting.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Like Famm said - what needs adjusting is a 2 minute job for a competent LBS. Pop in there and tell them what's up, chances are they'll do it right on the spot.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
You should watch him and ask questions when he does it too, so you will know next time. 90 percent of bike repairs are so easy Merlin could do it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some quick google and youtube can have you doing it yourself which you should, but might as well get the free tune up at some point I guess. To me its not even worth my time to drop it off and wait for them and pick it up, which is part of what leads people to learn to do their own work in the first place. That and of course the money aspect. I have four bikes I ride regularly and LBS's charge you $25-$75 to walk in the damn door for maintenance. Sorry LBS "supporters", no can do.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Some quick google and youtube can have you doing it yourself which you should, but might as well get the free tune up at some point I guess. To me its not even worth my time to drop it off and wait for them and pick it up, which is part of what leads people to learn to do their own work in the first place. That and of course the money aspect. I have four bikes I ride regularly and LBS's charge you $25-$75 to walk in the damn door for maintenance. Sorry LBS "supporters", no can do.
You're going to the wrong LBS then. I got a little tipsy, took a nice spill and bent my derailleur hanger into my spokes. The next day, my LBS was open a bit later than normal (cappuccino art contest throw-down) and fixed it for free while the cafe was doing it's thing. I got a few free beers from them too. They make most of their money on service and repeat customers.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Are you talking about Race Pace? I've bought two bikes from them now, and each time I was unimpressed with their customer service, so I haven't had any desire to go back for any sort of maintenance. I'd rather do it myself via Youtube videos than deal with the people there.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Just finished a round of lovin' on my Fatboy.

1.JPG

BB7's with Cleansweep rotors, 180 front and rear:

2.JPG

3.JPG

X7 Shifter, couldn't get on with the grip shift, especially with the 1x10:

4.JPG

And the all important trail bell!

5.JPG