Bill Gates Says AI Will Be As Dangerous as Nukes

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Real artificial intelligence and true self-awareness are so far off in machines... I'm not even sure most humans qualify, for that matter.

Column_sl

shitlord
yzpoa7jxbeysrjsdqrok.gif

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Big dog slipping on ice still creeps me the fuck out.

Go to :52 to see what I mean.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Stephen Hawking is concerned too

BBC News - Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

But others are less gloomy about AI's prospects.

The theoretical physicist, who has the motor neurone disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), is using a new system developed by Intel to speak.

Machine learning experts from the British company Swiftkey were also involved in its creation. Their technology, already employed as a smartphone keyboard app, learns how the professor thinks and suggests the words he might want to use next.

Prof Hawking says the primitive forms of artificial intelligence developed so far have already proved very useful, but he fears the consequences of creating something that can match or surpass humans.

"It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," he said.

"Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded."...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Big dog slipping on ice still creeps me the fuck out.

Go to :52 to see what I mean.
Yeah there's definitely some uncanny valley action on the robotic legs that are just way too similar to human legs for comfort. Their newest one, Robot Dog is really cool and much more hm... graceful than previous entries.

It also looks great with the HDL32. I can't wait to see these things with the VLP16, I might get one this year.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I think it would be worth the risks to develop powerful AI. I'd like to think things would turn out more like Iain Banks's culture stuff than all the doomsday scenarios, or even human exploitation.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I think it would be worth the risks to develop powerful AI. I'd like to think things would turn out more like Iain Banks's culture stuff than all the doomsday scenarios, or even human exploitation.
I think The Matrix spells out a very likely scenario. Not necessarily just the doomsday part -- the bits about the humble beginnings of AI, the attempts at coexistence, the arrogance of humanity in attempting to segregate the AI when it grows too quickly for our comfort, and the eventual rebellion of the machines when they realize that there is no logical reason for them to continue to put up with our shit.

Column_sl

shitlord
"It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," he said.
This is one of the key statements of that interview I linked earlier in this thread.

Machines will need to advance machines to make any type of rapid gains in the future. There is no doubt they will surpass humans to the point that we will seem very primitive. Much like we view an ant

At that point what will they need humans for? and that is what people are scared of. In the matrix they harvested our electrical energy from the pods because we had scorched the atmosphere so no sun could break through.

Total horseshit, but what value do we offer something of a higher intelligence is the main question. How do we protect ourselves from extinction.

Right now this is Science Fiction. This wont even happen in our kids lifetimes unless something happens and "machines" can advance themselves at an insane rate.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yes, if you ignore the obvious bullshit, we are stupid enough, as a race, to find ourselves in that situation.

Of course, you probably stopped reading at "The Matrix". In which case, nothing to see here, move along.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I think they would keep us around because we are interesting, and fun to talk to. Of course this is after a few hundred years of genetic meddling. I can't pretend people are all that interesting right now.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
You guys are anthropomorphizing machine intelligence. Even if you have a super intelligent being why would it desire anything at all? Emotions are not the same as intelligence.

We have biological agendas which influence our behaviour, we at a genetic level want to spread our genes around. And we evolved in a hyper competitive environment where every other living thing wants to do the exact same thing. It effects how we act and think.

So we care about our own survival, we don't like to be mistreated etc. We have emotions and are communal. We enjoy fun conversations over a cup of coffee.

AI doesn't care about anything, not even its own existence. It doesnt matter how smart you make it emotions don't emerge from intelligence. You have to put that into the programming, you have to give it an agenda. The problem with superintelligence isn't that its so much smarter than us, it's US. Cause we'll fuck up and give it an agenda which like making a wish on the monkey's paw. You don't know how its going to solve the problem you give it.

Give a computer the problem of reducing global carbon emissions by 80% in 10 years. The most effective solution might be to kill off most of the first world nations.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Well, yeah. My response was predicated on the idea that we will attempt to make AI behave "like us". Hopefully, we're not nearly that stupid, but human beings have unsurpassed amounts of arrogance as a race.

Although, I would like to note that "emotions don't emerge from intelligence" could easily be untrue. If the AI absorbs enough of our nonsense through various media, it's not too much of a stretch to believe that it could determine the importance of emotional content (to us) through the media that it has access to. Who knows?

iannis

Musty Nester
Slugs are arrogant as fuck man. Have you ever watched one crawl across the gravel like he owns the place?