Black Mirror

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finished the first 2 episodes and they are good.

1 is a good Black Mirror mind trip.
2 is good but a typical murder mystery story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I watched the first one last night, and fucking loved it. It was so good that I am actually a little worried that the rest of the episodes will fall flat in comparison.

Not really a spoiler, but the scene where Selma Hayek is yelling at her lawyer is fucking fantastic.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have watched the first two and I have enjoyed them both. I liked #1 / Joan is Awful more than #2 / Loch Henry. Loch Henry was entertaining, but there was no spice. It could have been any series.

Joan is Awful was interesting, playful, and more Black Mirror / Twilight Zone / Outer Limits (ish). That vibe is what I keep coming back for. The only way episodes go up from there for me would be if they are more serious with less comedy but keep those same weird vibes and ideas.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
First two were great I thought. Seems like Streamberry is going to be the theme. I love how they always include that one song at some point somewhere in the background if even for a couple seconds :p

• 2Like

Caliane

starting this.

#1 going meta did catch me. started off just thinking, "gentlemen. women" but right into "Joan is awful" on netflix. haha.

Last edited:

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Somewhat torn on this first episode.

OG Black Mirror is just twilight zone but about technology of the current/near future and how it impacts society, ramifications of things, etc. But some episodes/seasons kind of miss the fucking point and the quality has varied greatly from season 1 to season 5. You can say when it got picked up by netflix is when the quality started to drop but even netflix has had a few bangers under their watch.

So not overly optimistic about season 6.
First 5 minutes with the initial reveal, very much black mirror vibe.

Then as the story keeps going and they team up together, started feeling like the san junipero episode. Where yeah i guess it's got a "twist" and yeah its about technology and sure, its even good, but this isn't really representative of a black mirror, there are no happy endings in black mirror.

And then with 10 minutes left, BAM they M Night Shamanalayamadingdong another twist! and hell yeah, black mirror is back baby!

And then they keep rolling after the credits, dragging it out and it turns back into a stupid feel good bull shit.

I'd compare this episode to Hated in the Nation. (the one about the drone bee's) where they should of ended the fucking episode/fade to black after the *thing* happens and not kept going tying everything up and making a feel good happy ending to it.

kinda like the movie Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise. was a fantastic film until they ruined it by adding an extra 20 minutes to end explaining the film to the mouthbreathers in the audience who didnt understand it.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Episode 3 was decent but way too long and you knew exactly the outcome once you found out the plot.
Episode 4 was terrible and boring.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
Episode 5 was my best of the bunch, it was fucking wild, and may be one of my favorite Black err Red Mirrors ever. Director did USS Callister and 6 episodes of Andor.

5> 1 > 2 > 4 > 3

Decent season

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

so yeah.
ep1 "joan is awful" is some fantastic black mirror stuff. twists, sci fi nightmare. They don't all need to be downers. The funny and happy end is fine.
I think the extended Joan ending works as well. kindof like the shire in Lotr. shows us the "real" Joan. I think it makes sense to humanize her like that.

Ep2. "loch henry" eyebrows.... solid as is, but its interesting, there is no scifi or tech angle. its just a satire on netflix true crime dramas. its all VHS.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
What I really need now is someone to highlight all of the episodes to avoid starting with season 4. I stopped watching after Season 3 and thought that most of the ranged from OK to great but nothing that I would just not watch ever again.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2 black mirror episodes and 3 unrelated generic horror series scripts
I almost skipped the demon episode altogether after the true crimes bullshit. They might have fit with The Twilight Zone or Tails From the Darkside, but it wasn't what I remember Black Mirror being about.

The non tech related stories weren't terrible, exactly, but they weren't Black Mirror of old, and that's all I could think about when watching them.

• 1Like

Caliane

ep3. "beyond the sea" not too far in. having trouble with this one. why is it set in 1969? and using mansen? The idea of using avatars for space flight makes decent sense. but.. this shit would be reversed. you'd send the avatar into space, not the real person... the time spent is odd as well. so they spent like 16hours/day in their avatar bodies, and only like 1hour a day awake in their real bodies? what? if it was 22 hours in their real bodies, and like 2 hour congeagal visits in the avatars back home, that would make some sense. so this is only the start really. maybe the real story will kick in at some point.

edit:seconds after posting the "share the body" idea is presented. which blatantly opens up the affair/jealously angle.

double edit. the callout to Heinlein. is this a Heinlein story adapted maybe? that'd explain why its set in 1969.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
2 black mirror episodes and 3 unrelated generic horror series scripts
This pretty much, though i would call them 3 generic twilight zone scripts. and the 2 black mirror episodes had their own issues.

1 - decent twist but goes on too long and suffers from trying to happy ending it. Average Black Mirror style episode.
2 - is just a murder mystery, not really a twist and the "reveal" doesn't really say anything. Bad Twilight zone episode.
3 - is decent, but way too long and yeah you know exactly what's going to happen its not even really a twist ending. Average black mirror style episode.
4- If this had involved technology, this would of been the best and most "black mirror" ish episode. its filled with social commentary and is though provoking, but the gimmick and twist has nothing to do with technology, this is a good Twilight zone episode.
5 - Again not tech, no real social commentary (though it deals with social issues ie immigration, neither the plot nor the "twist" are related to it). not even really a plot twist here. not sure why people think this one was the best episode.

If I had to rank them it would be 4 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 2 but its not like theres a huge gap between the quality of the episodes. most were just average.

What I really need now is someone to highlight all of the episodes to avoid starting with season 4. I stopped watching after Season 3 and thought that most of the ranged from OK to great but nothing that I would just not watch ever again.
Season 4 was solid tbh. Not all of the episodes were winners but i wouldn't call any of them trash.

1 - USS Callister - nerd power fantasy goes wrong. very black mirrorish, but does do the sappy happy ending thing.
2 - Arkangel - the lengths an over protective mom will go and what it costs her.
3 - Crocodile - insurance investigation reveals a secret...
4 - Hang the DJ - good social commentary about technology and how it impacts us,. Its basically future tinder. this one is like San Junipero episode, where its very black mirror-ish but it naturally has a happy ending (not forced on like some of the other sappy endings)
5 - Metalhead - Boston Dynamics meets terminator. its a black and white artistic future hellscape but not really black mirror ish.
6 - Black Museum - pretty much the same as the White Christmas anthology episode from season 2.

Season 5 is mostly miss. feel free to skip all 3 episodes.

• 4Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Skippable things IMO:
Season 4: Black Museum (icky episode)
Season 5: The one with Miley Cyrus is rubbish. The other two are kind of mid. Could probably avoid all 3.
Bandersnatch: Interesting to see once, kind of skippable at this point though.

Good things:
Season 4: USS Callister is super good. Arkangel is an interesting and dark look at censorship and technology. Crocodile is really creepy and also takes a dark look at technology. Hang the DJ is my least-favorite of the five I like in this season, but it's kind of fun. Metalhead is low-key one of my favorite Black Mirror episodes and probably the most chilling episode in the entire series. The only downnside is that the episode is pretty short. And also that they didn't explain the setting or do more with the concept. Feels like it should be the beginning of some sort of expanded series.

For S4 I'd say Metalhead > USS Callister >> Crocodile > Arkangel > Hang the DJ >>> Black Museum

Anyway, watched the Salma Hayek episode. Good overall, reminded me of Wandavision. A bit of a mindfuck. Hayek looked CGI in a lot of the scenes which made me really question what I was seeing.

I think I might just jump to episode 5 next if the others have little to do with typical Black Mirror subject matter. Then I'll probably just watch Metalhead for the 6th or 7th time...

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Enjoyed this season. But realized I really enjoy, and missed, the techno/future type of stuff from the previous seasons more so than these Beyond Belief kind of stories.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never subscribed to Netflix before but I've heard so many good things about this season that it might actually push me to do so.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Skippable things IMO:
Season 4: Black Museum (icky episode)
Season 5: The one with Miley Cyrus is rubbish. The other two are kind of mid. Could probably avoid all 3.
Bandersnatch: Interesting to see once, kind of skippable at this point though.

Good things:
Season 4: USS Callister is super good. Arkangel is an interesting and dark look at censorship and technology. Crocodile is really creepy and also takes a dark look at technology. Hang the DJ is my least-favorite of the five I like in this season, but it's kind of fun. Metalhead is low-key one of my favorite Black Mirror episodes and probably the most chilling episode in the entire series. The only downnside is that the episode is pretty short. And also that they didn't explain the setting or do more with the concept. Feels like it should be the beginning of some sort of expanded series.

For S4 I'd say Metalhead > USS Callister >> Crocodile > Arkangel > Hang the DJ >>> Black Museum

Anyway, watched the Salma Hayek episode. Good overall, reminded me of Wandavision. A bit of a mindfuck. Hayek looked CGI in a lot of the scenes which made me really question what I was seeing.

I think I might just jump to episode 5 next if the others have little to do with typical Black Mirror subject matter. Then I'll probably just watch Metalhead for the 6th or 7th time...
Black Museum is great if you understand what it's attacking.

It's us, the audience.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
5, along with 2, has the least in common with black mirror subject matter. nothing to do with technology, no plot twists, no social commentary or introspection.

The only other one that deals with technology at all is 3 but like everyone has said, really long, just waayyy too long, and extremely obvious plot twist to the point its not even a plot twist just "that super predictable thing that is coming 50 minutes from now is really fucked up"

1 and 4 are the only episodes worth watching imho. and 4 isn't even about technology but its a decent twilight zone episode.

Also Black Museum is pretty much the 2nd best episode, behind White Christmas.