Black Mirror

Juvarisx

Florida
What I really need now is someone to highlight all of the episodes to avoid starting with season 4. I stopped watching after Season 3 and thought that most of the ranged from OK to great but nothing that I would just not watch ever again.

USS Callister: Tech doesn't make sense, but is about someone who wants more control in their life, but is too autistic to do it. Great Homage to Star Trek TOS
Arch Angel: Probably the most Black Mirror episode, could def see it happening and is a commentary on helicopter parenting. Jodie Foster has directing chops.
Crocodile: Tech sequel to "Entire History of You", not a great episode but well acted, had less to say then the episode it squealed
Hang the DJ: Commentary on AI, was a fun ride, best critical episode, but I didnt love the ending. Neat idea though and was a good entry
Metalhead: I LOVED this, but not everyone did. Black and White and it worked for it, great commentary on AI and had a fun Terminator vibe
Black Museum: Satire on Black Mirror itself. Didn't work for me, but not everyone hated it

Striking Vipers: Fuck this episode
Smithereens: Was fine, I found it funny, but its not a great Black Mirror episode
Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too: More Black mirror, too many ideas not alot of great execution. Miley Cyrus was fun.

Joan is Awful: Classic Black Mirror with a great Salma Hayek performance, could se eit happening cause Netflix is like Fuck You at this point
Loch Henry: Commentary on true crime genre, not really a Black Mirror at all, but it was an enjoyable ride
Beyond the Sea: Great tech, great alt universe, holy fuck was it slow. Ending nailed it but people hated the ending so IDK
Mazey Day: Nope.
Demon 79: My favorite episode but I said as a Red Mirror. Demon was super fun, great humor, tied into the Black Mirror universe, if we cant have that fuck you bye. its horror comedy not sci fi but I guess Brooker is out of ideas who knows

edit: I forgot to include Bandersnatch: Man I have a lot to say about this. Will Poulter was fucking A+++, holy shit did it go all over the place. Choose your own adventure is super fun at first but at apoint you are like fuck you. Great premise, great acting, doesn't work on multiple viewings, nature of free will blah blah blah. So many easter eggs, you will be looking for them in every scene over the plot. Gotta do it once and look up what you missed.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've never subscribed to Netflix before but I've heard so many good things about this season that it might actually push me to do so.

I think the first 3-4 seasons are significantly better than this new one. It's fine for what it is though.

Enjoyed this season. But realized I really enjoy, and missed, the techno/future type of stuff from the previous seasons more so than these Beyond Belief kind of stories.

Yeah same here. Felt like these new episodes didn't really do much at all with the technological motif that characterized Black Mirror to begin with. 4 out of 5 of these could have been Twilight Zone episodes and I wouldn't know the difference.

Black Museum is great if you understand what it's attacking.

It's us, the audience.

I guess all of the "people trapped forever inside a stone" type stuff just felt creepy and mean-spirited by the end. But as Sylas Sylas pointed out, it's basically the same type of episode (with the same type of themes) as White Christmas and that's one of my favorite episodes.

Finished all 5 episodes. I actually liked #4, the least-popular one. That was the only one that was actually scary. Without really spoiling anything huge, the fifth was intriguing:

Once you hear that the little girl's name is Laura, informing you that the demon isn't making things up, then the question becomes whether insanity is to blame or not. Not gonna spoil anything beyond that but I liked it.

Also found it funny how the far-right political candidate guy was basically portrayed as the Anti-Christ. I wonder how many people in modern Britain watched this and wondered why he was the bad guy, considering how public opinion against immigration has evolved there. He'd pretty much be in the majority at this point, most likely. Without the massive racist chip on his shoulder. The general "less unfettered immigration" platform, though? Well...

With him factored in (and ignoring the ending which we could say is an alternate dimension thing like so many other eps), I'm wondering if Demon 79 could actually function as a prequel to "Men Against Fire" and "Metalhead". In the flash-forwards of all the terrible things that'd happen if the far-right politician lived, we see angry speeches, war, and scenes from Metalhead. In "Men Against Fire" the Grain is being used to make British soldiers kill people of other races by seeing them as monsters, and Doug Stamper straight-up tells them that they're purging people because of "all the shit in their DNA". Then it makes total sense that Metalhead would be the next step in that progression, using machines to purge and losing control of them. Well, now at least I have an idea of how Metalhead came about, canon or not.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Finished out the season last night. They were all good for what they were. I don't think I can rank them very well, I liked the season overall and I did not think any particular episode was a stinker. #1 / #3 were what I imagine when I watch Black Mirror. The rest were still enjoyable.

One interesting note is that my wife enjoyed this season and wanted to watch it. The episodes were light enough and had enough humor that they kept her interested. She doesn't like overly serious overly depressing / dark storylines.

its all VHS

I am not sure if this is what you meant, but I agree. Mazey Day / Demon 79 fit right in with the VHS Franchise. They were actually better quality than most shorts, especially the later releases.

#3 / Beyond the Sea

This is definitely what I want out of Black Mirror but I am in the boat of folks who did not like the ending. The tech and concept were great and I did not expect the beginning to go super dark but it was a good setup.

Beyond the Sea: Great tech, great alt universe, holy fuck was it slow. Ending nailed it but people hated the ending so IDK

I would have liked it more, but the ending really came up short. The story was very telegraphed and you knew, more or less, how things were going to unfold. Marital strife, wife may cheat, kid may get a better father figure, etc. Struck me as very Human Is.

The ending broke my immersion. I couldn't get on board with David killing Cliff's family, even if he is crazy. It seems like too much of a character shift for a former family man. I was very much expecting the 'left out in space' / 'It's my family now' ending. They could have even done a happy 'half-half' ending with the two sharing the family and it would have worked for me.

#4 / Mazey Day

I nearly had to turn this off. Paparazzi infuriate me irrationally and the two side paparazzi were very hateable. It was similar to why I couldn't read Game of Thrones after watching it. I did not want to relive Joffrey.

I did not anticpiate that twist and it definitely took care of them.

#5 / Demon 79

Not much to say about this episode. I thought this was fun and I liked the grindhouse style. I was bought in to the story and never considered insanity at all. I liked the flash-forward call backs for the policitian and previous seasons of Black Mirror.

Caliane

Ep 4. "mazey day" past half way, waiting for the twist or this one to "start"... odd one so far. seems very hollywood centric. "papparazi is bad". no shit? "he signed up for it by being famous" something only some hollywood papparazi or in hollywood would say. then we got mazey. high as fuck on illegal drugs she got free from some hollywood creep, hit and run kills a dude. and is sad about it. so yeah, waiting for the twist, cause atm just thinking, this bitch should be in jail.

edit: ok, got there.
as we got to the twist, "chain around the neck", I had actually thought, oh if they go with werewolf, that won't be too bad, before they actually got to the full reveal. I still feel like they cheated a bit with what was shown at the start. They showed her hit and run driving.. I've also seen this story before in comics and movies more or less. I do think the time wasted on the papparazi women makes more sense after the ww reveal. as its now a monster movie, and that setup was the same as any monster movie, where we see ordinary lives getting interrupted by horror.

Last edited:

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
lol posting about a twist-based show before you've gotten to the twist part just seems destined for greatness.

like the episode or hate it, you'll have to admit there was a twist in that one

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
now that more people have seen/posted about episode 5 and the rest of the season in general:
for Episode 5. Like others have mentioned in their spoilered reviews, there was no twist here. They made no real effort to portray any other possibility other than the demon was real. I don't know if this was poor writing or poor directing or what, maybe they intended it to be ambiguous and up for debate, but sorry, it wasn't at all. They played it so straight and matter of fact without any hint that she was crazy that the only way this ending could of had a twist would of been had she actually been crazy and nothing happened when she didn't kill the guy before midnight.

A twist ending would of been a shot like '2 years later' with just her in a straight jacket in a padded room still talking to the singer about some kind of loophole he found arguing with the other demon lawyers on an imaginary phone so that the original 2nd kill (the wife murderer) counted so she really did save the world which is why she's still around, she's the hero and nobody knows of her noble sacrifice, blah blah...you know, showing her psychosis twisting reality to meet her needs to explain why the world didn't end...

So yeah, ep 5. I mean i guess it's kinda interesting story, fairly middling. No twist ending, no real social commentary to be made from it (immigration debate is simply background, not part of the story), no moral dilemmas, nothing revealed, no introspection. I don't know what you guys are seeing in this episode to call it good, some of you even called it the best episode of the season?? mind boggling tbh.

Ep 1:

Like i mentioned before, first episode would of been great black mirror if it had ended/faded to black right after they destroy the quantum computer and we see real Joan and Ann Murphy getting arrested. I don't need a follow up on her day to to day life showing her and the other actress under house arrest baking cookies getting coffee and shit, talking to her therapist about how great her life is going etc. That ruined it.

This was a great premise/use of technology/social commentary/privacy rights/terms of service/etc and Netflix even pokes fun of itself by its laziness/amorality to come up with new original content...If they had just left the ending ambiguous to where we didn't know the consequences Joan faced by taking back her life, just left with the impression that she was willing to risk everything to get her life back, that would of been amazing.

Maybe during the credit scenes show flashes of her trial? maybe the Streamberry attorneys are arguing that by destroying digital world layer 1 she's responsible for the deaths of billions of digital lives? tie it in to the wider black mirror universe (where digital "cookies" are considered living beings and it's illegal to erase them, established in the white christmas and black museum episodes, among others)

Ann Murphy as Joan thought she was the real Joan, she had no idea she was a digital depiction. She was in affect, a "cookie" which in this universe is a digital life. They could of had lawyers and experts arguing these facts in a capital murder case during quick cuts during the credits and have it end right before the verdict is read.

Even if you dont go death row trial, its still a litany of crimes committed and billions in losses to netflix who in addition to years in prison can sue for everything she owns...But no, she gets an ankle monitor and takes all her money and starts a small business (coffee shop)

Instead of facing any consequences, she gets what a $500 fine and some house arrest? by showing this they aren't asking the question or provoking any thought or discourse about the topic they are bringing up with the premise of the episode, they are instead just saying this is bad now lets wrap it all up with a nice ribbon. It takes a black mirror situation and really deflates it.

Last edited:

Caliane

ep 5. demon 76. having borders is facist. having a nation is facist. having a national identity is facist. having consideration for coworkers with stinky food is facist. the English certainly don't eat fish.. but don't eat fish in the office, because it stinks up the place. black demon and indian woman is pure intersectionality with intent. every race but white people love each other and totally get along. only white people have prejudices, and aren't allowed a native culture.

fuck this episode and the people that wrote it.

in terms of twist, I was kindof expecting the attempted assassination being the thing that causes the politician to actually become racist. her corruption, and being lead by the demon causes what she's trying to stop.

I wonder if next season will recontextualize these straight up supernatural episodes as having been in a simulation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

now that more people have seen/posted about episode 5 and the rest of the season in general:
f

Ep 1:

Maybe during the credit scenes show flashes of her trial? maybe the Streamberry attorneys are arguing that by destroying digital world layer 1 she's responsible for the deaths of billions of digital lives? tie it in to the wider black mirror universe (where digital "cookies" are considered living beings and it's illegal to erase them, established in the white christmas and black museum episodes, among others)
that would have been pretty amusing.

digital people having more rights then real people probably deserves its own episodes. the opposite of whats shown in many episodes already. upload tv show, and many episodes here show the digital copies of people as commodities at best, and at the whims of the owners.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
in the black mirror universe there is a timeline of events. Obviously not all of the episodes are tied into the same universe, but of the ones that are, those episodes reference technology depicted in other episodes. Black Museum really breaks it down and explains what technology was developed when, and when certain things were made illegal. In the past people made "cookies" digital copies of people, for commodities and convenience but it was determined that those digital copies are living things and it was made illegal to do certain things to them like put them inside children's toys (they must be able to express at least 5 emotions if inside an object) or to erase them.

if they wanted to tie this episode in they could of easily referenced it during the episode, because at this point in the universe it is illegal to erase digital people its the same as killing them.

theres been tons of episodes about digital people and what rights they have, etc. throughout the series, from San Junipero to Ashley Too...which is to be expected in a show about future tech and what nightmares they bring.

Last edited:

Caliane

in the black mirror universe there is a timeline of events. Obviously not all of the episodes are tied into the same universe, but of the ones that are, those episodes reference technology depicted in other episodes. Black Museum really breaks it down and explains what technology was developed when, and when certain things were made illegal. In the past people made "cookies" digital copies of people, for commodities and convenience but it was determined that those digital copies are living things and it was made illegal to do certain things to them like put them inside children's toys or to erase them.

if they wanted to tie this episode in they could of easily referenced it during the episode, because at this point in the universe it is illegal to erase digital people its the same as killing them.

theres been tons of episodes about digital people and what rights they have, etc. throughout the series, from San Junipero to Ashley Too...which is to be expected in a show about future tech and what nightmares they bring.
yeah, san Junipero was specifically mentioned in episode 1 in the lawsuits. That one does specifically occur in the same universe.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Oh yeah it was. So yeah they could of easily tied it all in.

I like your take on episode 1, the indian chick being crazy attacking the politician being the thing that drove him to being new hitler... it felt like he was just pandering to her co-worker (the slightly racist karen who complained about the smell of her food) and wasn't really some hard core racist guy to start.

If they had went with my version of the ending where the world doesn't end and she's just arguing with her imaginary demon friend about the loophole on why they are still alive and they show cuts of him noticing more and more immigrant violence and becoming ultra fascist and slowly becoming the new hitler, him all scarred up, telling the story of his assault by some crazed immigrant during all his rally's. rising to power because of her. maybe investing in some robot dogs to patrol for undesirables...

i'm not sure why some episodes were set in the past. Well Episode 3 I kinda understand. it was a lazy writing shortcut to use the manson family to murder his family, don't have to explain why someone would do that to his family if you can take a known crazy and apply it. leaves so much more time available to slow roll the rest of the story...ugh...

but this episode? why was it set in the past, other than the ironically contrast how accurate the National Front's arguments were compared to modern day england? Since they are liberal writing staff I doubt this was their intention, so really the only reason to base it in the past was to have it impact the present...except they didnt, they were lazy and the world ended so it makes no sense.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
My take on this Season in the order I liked them:

1. Mazey Day (Episode 4) was my fav. I really, REALLY loved the fucking twist. I was totally expecting them to setup how shitty Paparazzi are only to make them out as "Heroes" when they saved the hit-n-run chick from captivity. Totally made my fucking day at the end 'cause the Paparazzi will always Paparazzi-- terrible event unfold and she still thinks to snap the fucking photo.

2. Beyond the Sea (Episode 3) is next. That ending was exactly as dark as I wanted it to be. Again, my expectation early on was they would basically get joint-custody of his family until the wife decided she liked how the other guy fucked or something. But the "Welcome to my Hell" moment at the end was wicked fucked up, so I liked it. My only gripe with the premise was that you should want the robot version in space. I don't remember any reason for why they put the real people on the spaceship. <Shrug>

3. Demon 79 (Episode 5) was really cool. The setup for her being crazy was how she imagined killing people at the start, and then suddenly "discovering" a reason to actually follow through with it. I wasn't buying it, but my expectations were still wrong. Remember how she finds the talisman and it doesn't have 3 marks on it? It's only got the symbol for 2? I expected that the original guy who ate lunch down there told the demon to fuck off because he'd rather let the world kill itself than try to use saving the world as an excuse to murder people. Thus, saving the world. Ah well.

4. Joan is awful (Episode 1) was mostly predictable. It was cool, but took way too long to get to the point which I already figured was coming. I did, however, love the fact that people got more attractive the deeper into the fantasy you got, whereas the "real" Joan was pretty mudface. lol

5. Lock Henry (Episode 2). Hated this one. It was entertaining-ish, but only because the acting was great. I thought it was totally predictable, and the editing (maybe?) made it feel disjointed all the way through. It never grabbed my full attention while watching it. Again, could have been the editing, how predictable it was, all the above. <Shrug> Anyhow, not my favorite.

Overall, a MUCH better season than 5 was.
[/spoiler}

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think the first 3-4 seasons are significantly better than this new one. It's fine for what it is though.

Yeah same here. Felt like these new episodes didn't really do much at all with the technological motif that characterized Black Mirror to begin with. 4 out of 5 of these could have been Twilight Zone episodes and I wouldn't know the difference.

I guess all of the "people trapped forever inside a stone" type stuff just felt creepy and mean-spirited by the end. But as Sylas Sylas pointed out, it's basically the same type of episode (with the same type of themes) as White Christmas and that's one of my favorite episodes.

Finished all 5 episodes. I actually liked #4, the least-popular one. That was the only one that was actually scary. Without really spoiling anything huge, the fifth was intriguing:

Once you hear that the little girl's name is Laura, informing you that the demon isn't making things up, then the question becomes whether insanity is to blame or not. Not gonna spoil anything beyond that but I liked it.

Also found it funny how the far-right political candidate guy was basically portrayed as the Anti-Christ. I wonder how many people in modern Britain watched this and wondered why he was the bad guy, considering how public opinion against immigration has evolved there. He'd pretty much be in the majority at this point, most likely. Without the massive racist chip on his shoulder. The general "less unfettered immigration" platform, though? Well...

With him factored in (and ignoring the ending which we could say is an alternate dimension thing like so many other eps), I'm wondering if Demon 79 could actually function as a prequel to "Men Against Fire" and "Metalhead". In the flash-forwards of all the terrible things that'd happen if the far-right politician lived, we see angry speeches, war, and scenes from Metalhead. In "Men Against Fire" the Grain is being used to make British soldiers kill people of other races by seeing them as monsters, and Doug Stamper straight-up tells them that they're purging people because of "all the shit in their DNA". Then it makes total sense that Metalhead would be the next step in that progression, using machines to purge and losing control of them. Well, now at least I have an idea of how Metalhead came about, canon or not.

I like your take on episode 1, the indian chick being crazy attacking the politician being the thing that drove him to being new hitler... it felt like he was just pandering to her co-worker (the slightly racist karen who complained about the smell of her food) and wasn't really some hard core racist guy to start.

If they had went with my version of the ending where the world doesn't end and she's just arguing with her imaginary demon friend about the loophole on why they are still alive and they show cuts of him noticing more and more immigrant violence and becoming ultra fascist and slowly becoming the new hitler, him all scarred up, telling the story of his assault by some crazed immigrant during all his rally's. rising to power because of her. maybe investing in some robot dogs to patrol for undesirables...

i'm not sure why some episodes were set in the past. Well Episode 3 I kinda understand. it was a lazy writing shortcut to use the manson family to murder his family, don't have to explain why someone would do that to his family if you can take a known crazy and apply it. leaves so much more time available to slow roll the rest of the story...ugh...

but this episode? why was it set in the past, other than the ironically contrast how accurate the National Front's arguments were compared to modern day england? Since they are liberal writing staff I doubt this was their intention, so really the only reason to base it in the past was to have it impact the present...except they didnt, they were lazy and the world ended so it makes no sense.
Demon 79 had me rolling my eyes all the way through it because I thought it was just another fucking Netflix adaptation of making white people feel guilty. In a way, it really was, as most white people in it were just shitty people altogether. I dont think there was a nice white person in the whole damn story. But the fact that through all the story, this indian chick thought she was right and that what she was doing was saving the world. Totally oblivious to the fact that what shes doing is the exact reason people didnt want her kind there in the first place. You're fucking killing people and being a menace to society. Of course the politician goes on to be the modern day Hitler after getting attacked by you, you fucking retard.

The other episodes were interesting, but ya. Same as I said before. I do like it when they include shit in on the same universe. Like all this crazy shit is happening and you have no idea. Not that some of the episodes couldnt be in the same universe. Just needed more connection.

Caliane

yeah, and have interviews with her coworkers. have them give one sided versions of events from their point of view. hell, take it another step. have it be a mock documentary for streamberry...

spronk

FPS noob
just finished, mazey day was definitely my favorite and felt the most like a Twilight Zone episode. I mostly enjoyed the season, it definitely is a throwback vibe for the 5 episodes and some of the episodes were too long especially the Jesse one.

i still haven't watched 1/2 the episodes from previous seasons so may slowly go back through and watch those, I did love the one with Meth Demon as Captain Incel Kirk and some of the AI/robot ones.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
ep 5. demon 76. having borders is facist. having a nation is facist. having a national identity is facist. having consideration for coworkers with stinky food is facist. the English certainly don't eat fish.. but don't eat fish in the office, because it stinks up the place. black demon and indian woman is pure intersectionality with intent. every race but white people love each other and totally get along. only white people have prejudices, and aren't allowed a native culture.

fuck this episode and the people that wrote it.

in terms of twist, I was kindof expecting the attempted assassination being the thing that causes the politician to actually become racist. her corruption, and being lead by the demon causes what she's trying to stop.

Pretty much.

Like I said...they really thought most people were gonna see the politician as the bad guy in that scenario?

Also, the Indian woman's super-brutal kills of (all white) people, especially early in the episode when she was just fantasizing about it, made me think of all the passive-aggressive people in our culture who'd love to genocide all the people they don't like. This episode was probably a power fantasy for them and they probably came when
Russia and the US nuked each other.

Your idea in the spoiler is way better than what the episode actually did. The ending was total nonsense garbage now that I've thought about it more. Should have instead ended with
her failure to kill him being the cause of everything that he ended up doing (Men Against Fire, Metalhead) out of retaliation against violent invaders like her, culminating with the apocalypse that the demon warned of in the form of the robot dogs taking over.

Speaking of Metalhead, I'm curious as to what people think the story was behind it. It seemed to take place in Britain. So I don't think it was some country they slaughtered with machines (i.e. the few survivors in the victim country trying to escape the machines).

Impression I got was that it was the country that set the machines loose now dealing with the machines turning on them.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly been a minute since i watched that episode but i dont remember much background world building at all?

3 survivors/resistance members in search of a *thing* to ease the suffering of a child or something? Her daughter? I dont remember exactly. All they have to ID the *thing* is a code and they know its in a warehouse. Insert terminator boston dynamic dogs...shit happens. They end up all dying/women kills herself and the twist is they knock over the box holding the *thing* and the thing was
cheap, mass produced stuffed teddy bears from china. I mean thats a gut punch for sure and stylistically its a cool episode but theres little in the way of social commentary with this one.

spronk

FPS noob
lol i had no idea boney m and rasputin was a real band/song in the 70s

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I didnt know the band either, but recognized the song. Marketing departments for big Corporations fucking love it for whatever reason, especially Apple.

Caliane

not sure how anyone would not know that... that song is pretty famous.

ma baker was obviously also a real song.

its probably noticeable, they aren't American. the English not being quite right, and certainly not for Chicago, Detroit or any other city. German producers and male voice, Caribbean singers/dancers.

Their version of Sunny I think might be the most well known. (its a cover)

While it had never been a secret that Bobby Farrell never sang on the group's records (Farian did the male vocals in the studio), in 1978 it became public knowledge that Maizie Williams did not sing on the studio recordings either, since "her voice wasn't suited for this kind of music" as Farian stated in an interview with German teen magazine Bravo. Since this had become common practice within the disco genre of the late 1970s, few people cared – unlike when Farian repeated the practice to much more severe backlash with Milli Vanilli in the late 1980s. While only two of Boney M.'s official members actually contributed to the band's records, all four members of the group, including Williams and Farrell, performed the vocals live at Boney M. concerts.[6] The band's live sound was also augmented by several backing vocalists, which served to mitigate any vocal deficiencies the group may have had compared with the studio productions.
so the joke here is the German writer guy does vocals. they claim the dancer actually sings in live concerts... but frankly I doubt it was true. He's blatantly not the vocals for that rhasputin vid linked.