Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It's certainly possible to do a good sequel.

Just like it was possible to do a good Tron sequel, and then they had to ruin it by making the last third of the movie retarded.
Jeff Bridges still has some actual range to his acting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Maybe I'm too young to appreciate it's significance, but I watched this movie a few years ago and I didn't get the hype. It's a pretty weird movie. I feel that way about a bunch of heralded 70s and 80s films.
The book is very very good. And the scenes with Rutgar. Even though his nice big soliliquies aren't in the book. In the book Deckart just sorta shows up and kills them while the retard cries and the Buff Smiley (I forget his name exactly, the radio announcer guy that isn't even in the movie) announces to the world that they've already been infiltrated.

Hopefully the movie gets people to read the book. And it was a grim and memorable book. But the movie did ok... and it really did look nice. Especially when he went to the automaton factory to see the receptionist.

iannis

Musty Nester
Someone actually came out and said that Deckart is a replicant? That's super-lame. It takes so much away from the movie.

That's why I like the book more though, anyway. Because it's also answered in the book and the answer is, "He is unequivocally human. Does it matter?".

• 1Solidarity

Gecko_sl

shitlord
At it's simplest it's every crime noir detective film/book with beautiful directing/cinematography.

I love everything about it. My 2nd favorite movie at all time.

I'm even a little miffed that they finally said Decker was a replicant even tho there was many clues. I felt like that was a mystery that should have died with its creator.

I feel like if you franchise this movie out you kill the spirit of everything that the first movie had. The movie is just science fiction in the background, it's supposed to be a movie that makes us questions What does it mean to be human?what is reality?

Its a piece of Art that can hang alone.
I'd post but you summed up my feelings exactly. Every year or two I fire this up. It remains amazing and has stood the test of time.

There are so many underlying messages and questions in this movie, you could watch it a dozen times and still find a different angle. At it's core it's a discussion about morality and humanity.My personal favorite one being why did Batty kill Tyrell, his creator, and yet save Deckard who was trying to kill him.

I hate the fact they are doing a sequel. I guess that's better than a shitty remake, though.

Get the Blu Ray directors cut, it's by far the best version.

spronk

FPS noob
Someone actually came out and said that Deckart is a replicant? That's super-lame. It takes so much away from the movie.

That's why I like the book more though, anyway. Because it's also answered in the book and the answer is, "He is unequivocally human. Does it matter?".
yeah a few years back Ridley Scott came out and said Deckard is a replicant, which is why the DC has the unicorn dream scene (ties into Adama making a paper unicorn). Although interestingly Harrison Ford has said multiple times he thought Deckard was human. There are also theories that Adama is the real blade runner and always watching over Deckard (his replicant "assistant") and probably even more whacky ones.
Ridley Scott Answers Whether Deckard Is A Replicant In Blade Runner | Comicbook.com

To me Bladerunner is a movie that gets more interesting the older you get. Its a great movie to watch when you are sad, lonely, drunk, just after a breakup, etc. Makes you think about your life and if you have lived enough to call yourself alive. I don't think we'll see it in my lifetime either but it'll also be an interesting movie to watch if any AI breakthroughs come about, we are still probably decades (or more) away though from artificial sentience.

I don't really trust Ridley Scott or Harrison's fords decision process anymore, the former thought Exodus was good and the latter has just done a string of shitty movies so them saying BR2 is gonna be awesome doesn't mean much.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blade Runner is a very rare example of Art, Music, and Story coming together in such a beautiful way. It was in a very real sense the 80's version of The Matrix. Even today it resonates with me despite it's age. It takes a scientific cop story approach to the questions that all humans ask themselves from time too time. What is life? What am I and why must I die? A sequel could easily be done and I always thought that doing one from the perspective of the replicant would have been nice, even if Deckard was one. Hell the title of the movie could be called "Replicant". I will keep an eye on this, though I doubt they can reproduce a movie that feels like the first one did. I am all for being pleasantly surprised.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

just to be clear, we are talking about the directors cut and not the theatrical release right?

and yeah. as noted, its not just an amalgam of noir, cyberpunk. It created alot of it.
Blade runner came out in June of 1982.
Akira for example came out in Dec of 1982. (the manga).
Cyberpunk 2020 1988
Akira movie 1988
Ghost in the shell 1989 manga (1995 for the movie)
Shadowrun 1989

Mass Effect 2007

The list of things directly inspired by is really unending.

Its really interesting as it brings up direct responses to the word Robot.
"Rossum's Universal Robots"
In the play, the "robots" are really clones. Bred to do the labor. Robot literally means "forced labor", "servitude".
Blade Runner too, makes androids who are forced labor, and you are not really sure if they are human or not.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Love the film, watch it at least twice or more each year.
Recently I have come to the final concussion, despite what has been said by Ridley Scott and fan forums, that Deckard is a replicant that was switched on "Activated" when Holden was shot from the interview. I havent come to any conclussion if Holden was one as well, but one of many reasons I have attribute to this is Gaff looking for Deckard at the eatery in the beginning as if he was turned on and set on a preprogramed cycle. Deckards apt being in a mess as if someone was gone for long periods of time.
I truly think the real Deckard was around at some point in the past but has since been cloned memory and placed in one of the newer experimental models like Rachael and turned on when needed or replaced, etc. DC shows the unicorn which helps with this but i think is something in place for the "Voight-Kampff" test to identify. The fact that Tyrell imediately kicks out Rachael knowing she will head for Deckard is another one of his tests. With his clout I believe this is allow on earth to see what happens with those two on the run. Due to Tyrells death this was something in motion without end. Their base programing was not preloaded for fighting or other dangerous activities but for hunting other replicants and without knowing for sure if he are or not a replicant.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Blade Runner is a very rare example of Art, Music, and Story coming together in such a beautiful way. It was in a very real sense the 80's version of The Matrix. Even today it resonates with me despite it's age. It takes a scientific cop story approach to the questions that all humans ask themselves from time too time. What is life? What am I and why must I die? A sequel could easily be done and I always thought that doing one from the perspective of the replicant would have been nice, even if Deckard was one. Hell the title of the movie could be called "Replicant". I will keep an eye on this, though I doubt they can reproduce a movie that feels like the first one did. I am all for being pleasantly surprised.
This is probably the best explanation. Blade Runner and Aliens are pretty much the only two 80s sci fi movies that have aged very well.

Caliane

not saying your wrong... but...

Terminator
Total recall? 1990 admittedly.
Flash gordon
The empire strikes back.
Escape from New York.
The Thing
The Wrath of Khan.
Back to the Future.
Brazil.
Enemy Mine
Weird Science
Aliens.
The Fly.
Predator
Robocop
The Running man.
Bill and Teds Excellent adventure.

This isnt even including campy stuff which is still good.
My Science project, Buckaroo Banzai,etc.
Or anime.
Or, sci fantasy.

Caliane

well, I like to fact check, before I post. like my gut reaction was for a few 1990 movies.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
A sequel will end up totally dumbed down and have none of the beauty or thought provoking moments of the original. Hollywood should leave this film alone - bastards, is nothing sacred!

I love and enjoy this film everytime i watch it - aged so well and it's as beautiful now as the day i first saw it.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ridley scott is old and senile. You care what he says nowadays?

And caliane, you are right about that list

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I watched The Thing for the first time a couple years ago and that movie does indeed hold up well. Great movie.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
yeah a few years back Ridley Scott came out and said Deckard is a replicant, which is why the DC has the unicorn dream scene (ties into Adama making a paper unicorn). Although interestingly Harrison Ford has said multiple times he thought Deckard was human. There are also theories that Adama is the real blade runner and always watching over Deckard (his replicant "assistant") and probably even more whacky ones.
Ridley Scott Answers Whether Deckard Is A Replicant In Blade Runner | Comicbook.com.
The only problem is this story isn't Ridley Scott's. It's from Philip K. Dick and in the original novel the movie is based on Deckard is most definitely not a Replicant.