Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
lol @ $20/hr in California
I was thinking that while people were having a circle jerk about it. Average wage across the SW/Middle VA area is $15/hour and its, for the most part, a very rural lower middle class area.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was thinking that while people were having a circle jerk about it. Average wage across the SW/Middle VA area is $15/hour and its, for the most part, a very rural lower middle class area.
WA minimum is about $15 as well. West coast just milking people for all they are worth.

Cybsled

20/hr in that region with guaranteed OT and benefits maybe, but housing/rent prices are going to still have you living with 5 roommates unless you have other income streams helping out

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
20/hr in that region with guaranteed OT and benefits maybe, but housing/rent prices are going to still have you living with 5 roommates unless you have other income streams helping out
Well there's no housing either in WoW.

• 3Worf
  • 2Double Worf
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 6 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So now the QA testers make as much as working at a target pushing carts. Maybe 10 years ago that would have been decent
Game QA is always a weird sector. Everything I read is that the hordes of QA testers in the game development industry just float from project to project as games are completed and pushed live. Compared to generic Software QA where most of them are full time salaried employees.

QA is a shit field to be in though and a dead end in the tech sector. In my opinion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Game QA is always a weird sector. Everything I read is that the hordes of QA testers in the game development industry just float from project to project as games are completed and pushed live. Compared to generic Software QA where most of them are full time salaried employees.

QA is a shit field to be in though and a dead end in the tech sector. In my opinion.
Sounds like an excellent way to get buggy pieces of shit released. It’s a good thing the industry has managed to dodge that bullet

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like an excellent way to get buggy pieces of shit released. It’s a good thing the industry has managed to dodge that bullet

Yes and no, in the case of blizzard they had a million people line up to be in the "ALPHA" and "BETA" groups for testing for the sake of seeing things before everyone else on every expansion.

Shit was serious too, to a degree.

I was doing testing for WotLK and my guild / raid killed a few bugs, was kinda cool to have a GM come in and reset an entire raid and kill all the trash because you had an unrecoverable bug. I still miss the Sara screams in Ulduar, shit made the atmosphere for that raid, additionally the mimiron bomb run where you could agro a bomb and it would chase the person in proxy to it, not the person who agroed it. I stopped testing around the Champions raid, that shit was aids, all the testers said it was aids and all the devs were like "OH WELL.."

As long as your tools are decent, I don't know why you would even pay testers for the largest MMO in history.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I remember when I made $20 an hour in Cal Bay Area. I was so excited to move out of my shared apartment and into my own studio apartment.

That was 2 decades ago.

My life has changed dramatically since then but I can’t imagine trying to live out here now with a salary under six figures.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

You can totally use QA as a vector to enter once-good companies that are now hollow talentless shells of their former self. Like half of the hires at bioware while my friend worked there were former QA testers who barely knew how to code, and were bad at QA, but at least were familiar with the company's processes and systems. And willing to work for peanuts.

He has since moved on to a mobile game company, because if you're going to make trash, at least get some fucking money.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
QA is a decent way to get in the industry but if you spend more than 2-3 years in that position you're definitely a dead-ender, but you can say that about basically any entry-level tech job that isn't a jr developer.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

What do you mean by QA? Manual testers running brainless checklists? Or people that are basically devsecops in all but name?

Burns

2022-04-12 00.11.43 www.businesswire.com 3b982fd58e12.png

• 4Worf
  • 2Barf
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 9 users

Malakriss

I've seen some photoshops in my time but that's approaching vtuber status.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
but that's approaching vtuber status.
Maybe that actually is an elaborate vtuber avatar? A real diversity officer would probably want to change things.

You'd never know the difference with how shitty video quality is in those zoom calls anyway.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
California. Wretched vile place full of hateful bigots and envious parasites.

Keep em dumb. Keep em divided. Keep em emasculated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So lawyer who was handling that discrimination case against Blizzard says California Governor interfered in it;

• 1Tiresome
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users