Blue Beetle (2023)

Goatface

1692574595966.png

someone on reddit made a list of recent openings that did better openings in mexico
Barbie: $22.69 million
The Super Mario Bros. Movie: $21 million ($30 million five-day)
Fast X: $14.44 million
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: $13.43 million
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: $11.67 million
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts: $9.24 million
The Flash: $8.73 million
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: $8.46 million
The Little Mermaid: $8 million
Meg 2: The Trench: $7.99 million
Insidious: The Red Door: $5.83 million
Elemental: $4.68 million
Oppenheimer: $4.62 million
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One: $4.35 million
John Wick: Chapter 4: $4.22 million
Shazam! Fury of the Gods: $4.05 million
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba - To the Swordsmith Village: $3.43 million
Creed III: $3.15 million
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem: $2.81 million

Chris

Potato del Grande
View attachment 487473
someone on reddit made a list of recent openings that did better openings in mexico
Barbie: $22.69 million
The Super Mario Bros. Movie: $21 million ($30 million five-day)
Fast X: $14.44 million
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: $13.43 million
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: $11.67 million
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts: $9.24 million
The Flash: $8.73 million
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: $8.46 million
The Little Mermaid: $8 million
Meg 2: The Trench: $7.99 million
Insidious: The Red Door: $5.83 million
Elemental: $4.68 million
Oppenheimer: $4.62 million
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One: $4.35 million
John Wick: Chapter 4: $4.22 million
Shazam! Fury of the Gods: $4.05 million
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba - To the Swordsmith Village: $3.43 million
Creed III: $3.15 million
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem: $2.81 million
I get the feeling that "minorities" in their native countries give zero shits about being "represented" because they have their own national media for that, and don't relate to minority-americans at all. They actually want to see americans who like america doing american things when they watch an american film.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Its like these studios have no end of money in sight to keep throwing after these fucking turds.

ESG investing brah. Big studios really don't have any shortage of money and no longer have to worry about making actual hits. Smaller studios are just emulating the bigger ones, but can't take the hits, so they'll be the first to roll it back.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It should have been the proper origin story from the beginning. They try so hard to virtue signal in minorities that white male superheroes are severely underrepresented now. Blue Beetle is a failed franchise now. It likely always was, but at least do the first movie justice. Give it a chance.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It should have been the proper origin story from the beginning. They try so hard to virtue signal in minorities that white male superheroes are severely underrepresented now. Blue Beetle is a failed franchise now. It likely always was, but at least do the first movie justice. Give it a chance.
it's just representative of the real problem. the people making these movies have NO IDEA what made these characters popular in the first place. if you look at any comic book character from any publisher that has maintained any modicum of popularity, if you EVER try to explain that popularity using race and/or gender you are immediately wrong and should have the movie taken away from you

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it's just representative of the real problem. the people making these movies have NO IDEA what made these characters popular in the first place. if you look at any comic book character from any publisher that has maintained any modicum of popularity, if you EVER try to explain that popularity using race and/or gender you are immediately wrong and should have the movie taken away from you
They constantly do it and I hope they keep doubling down so they go bankrupt.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Eh, the actual original Blue Beetle no one gives a fuck about. Ted Kord was all gadgets and didn't use the scarab at all ans is only interesting with Booster Gold. Kord has also been mostly gone from the comics for like 10 years. Not sure if he is still dead. I know he came back as a Black Lantern for awhile.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

1692801558241.png

it dropped behind barbie mon and tues. apparently it is going to loose all "imax" to Gran Turismo this weekend.
gaining on shazam

1692812828505.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean, its got a sitcom cast at the very best. I like Xolo, and Lopez and to a lesser extent, Sarandon - but I dont know any of these people really and even those three I do know have never been even remotely close to "Oh, he's in that movie? Bet that shits gonna be awesome!"

Straight to Prime release and .. Im fine with that. Ill watch it then.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Had a free night, so I went and saw this. Only one in theatre.

Not that this is a high bar to clear, but this was easily the best DCU movie since The Suicide Squad, and probably top 5? (Again not a high bar)

It's definitely not a traditional origin movie, but it also doesn't treat the audience like idiots. The world feels lived in and not like it sprang into existence 90 minutes before the opening scenes.

Any references to Dan Garrett or Ted Kord or the Original Blue Beetle are explained well enough for you to understand who and what they are, even with 0 knowledge coming in, as long as you give the movie 60 seconds to explain it to you and don't go full fight or flight when you hear something you don't know.

Oh and they do mention Superman, Batman and there is a LexCorp tower in an establishing shot, for those wondering what DCU connections exist in it.

Tl;dr fine to watch on HBO Max in a month or whatever; if you got A List and have a free couple hours, you could do worse.

spronk

FPS noob

9/20 it is, i will enjoy the comic stylings of George Lopez then

• 2Worf
  • 1Direct to DVD
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

it finally passed shazam2's domestic, gunning for morbius now. still needs $30ish million to catch shazam 2's worldwide total.
1693764192170.png

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Not a fan of comic book movies in general but I thought it was okay by their standards.

There are a few wokish lines but it’s greatly overshadowed imo by the strong emphasis this movie has on family.