Book of the Month - Merged

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Y'alls fixation on Tyson reminded me ofthis.

Also I doubt Tyson said that. What is an astrological physicist?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
derp
frown.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think it's time to call the tie. Flip a coin or go alphabetically or something.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Alright, I'll call it then. If no one else votes between now and tonight, I'll flip a coin. Heads for Neil, tails for Nikola.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Alright, I'll call it then. If no one else votes between now and tonight, I'll flip a coin. Heads for Neil, tails for Nikola.
Great, so we have the biggest promoter of a book about a huckster doing the coin toss to determine the winner. Might as well have Hodj handle a coin toss to determine if Kentucky is a southern state. While we are at it, lets let Gaige flip a coin to determine age of consent and Araysar can flip a coin to determine if gays get killed or not.

No really, I trust you bro.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm pretty psyched about Tyson as well. You want to do it? It doesn't matter to me either way, we just need a tie breaker.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Tesla: Inventor of the Electrical Ageby Carlson, W. Bernard

9780691057767_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Nikola Tesla was a major contributor to the electrical revolution that transformed daily life at the turn of the twentieth century. His inventions, patents, and theoretical work formed the basis of modern AC electricity, and contributed to the development of radio and television. Like his competitor Thomas Edison, Tesla was one of America's first celebrity scientists, enjoying the company of New York high society and dazzling the likes of Mark Twain with his electrical demonstrations. An astute self-promoter and gifted showman, he cultivated a public image of the eccentric genius. Even at the end of his life when he was living in poverty, Tesla still attracted reporters to his annual birthday interview, regaling them with claims that he had invented a particle-beam weapon capable of bringing down enemy aircraft.

Plenty of biographies glamorize Tesla and his eccentricities, but until now none has carefully examined what, how, and why he invented. In this groundbreaking book, W. Bernard Carlson demystifies the legendary inventor, placing him within the cultural and technological context of his time, and focusing on his inventions themselves as well as the creation and maintenance of his celebrity. Drawing on original documents from Tesla's private and public life, Carlson shows how he was an "idealist" inventor who sought the perfect experimental realization of a great idea or principle, and who skillfully sold his inventions to the public through mythmaking and illusion.

Posting schedule:

Book thread posted 1st of the month.
Reading begins 8th of the month.
Spoilers lifted 22nd of the month and next month's poll opens.

No posts from 1st-7th about the book or plot, can only post that you're participating.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I'm pretty psyched about Tyson as well. You want to do it? It doesn't matter to me either way, we just need a tie breaker.
Bravo sir. First you rig an election so only candidates you want to win can win, then you attempt to invite me into the process so you can say my opinion mattered. I will not be part of your corrupt process!

Seriously though, maybe next time we can do a runoff election so I don't feel like a ron paul supporter.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I just figured it would be better to get it done with rather than drag it out another few days with another poll. We can do that in the future. Unless, of course, I decide to taint another election!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been reading this. It just isn't engaging to me, which is sad. I think maybe it is just my mood or something but I'm having trouble getting motivated to finish it. Too much frontloading with the technical stuff which is not so much what I really expected going in.

khalid

Unelected Mod
So did the book club die because no one wanted to read Tesla?
frown.png

If you are going to vote for a book, at least fucking read it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It died because a_skeleton_03 gave up on it, because he is human scum. I have been thinking about retooling it but no one wanted to take it over and I am so swamped in school that I don't want to start it if I can't really do it.

But yeah I am looking at maybe March, unless someone steps up to help out.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I chose these books based around the theme of "book's you didn't know were movies". Meaning I didn't know, or I don't think most people know that these books were movies. I welcome all feedback about the choices, the theme, suggestions for future themes or books, or whatever. The poll will run for 7 days and reading will begin on the chosen book.

Edit: That should have read "movies you didn't know were books." Fuckin Obama.

-----------------------
Drive by James Sallis(Movie title:Drive)
rrr_img_69527.jpg

I drive. That's what I do. All I do." So declares the enigmatic Driver in this masterfully convoluted neo-noir, which ranges from the dive bars and flyblown motels of Los Angeles to seedy strip malls dotting the Arizona desert. A stunt driver for movies, Driver finds more excitement as a wheelman during robberies, but when a heist goes sour, a contract is put on his head and his survival skills burn up the pavement. Author of the popular six-novel series set in New Orleans featuring detective Lew Griffin (The Long-Legged Fly, etc.) and such stand-alone crime novels as Cypress Grove, Sallis won't disappoint fans who enjoy his usual quirky literary stylings. Reading a crime paperback, Driver covers "a few more lines till he fetched up on the word desuetude. What the hell kind of word was that?" Lines such as "Time went by, which is what time does, what it is" provide the perfect existential touch. In this short novel, expanded from his story in Dennis McMillan's monumental anthology Measures of Poison, Sallis gives us his most tightly written mystery to date, worthy of comparison to the compact, exciting oeuvre of French noir giant Jean-Patrick Manchette.

Election by Tom Perrotta(Movie title:Election)
rrr_img_69528.jpg

A far cry from Sweet Valley High, this wry, engaging story of a 1992 high-school election in a New Jersey town "a couple of exits" away from Glen Ridge is observant and sly, if less amusing than the battles over pop-musical taste in Perrotta's quirkily humorous first novel, The Wishbones. The candidates for school presidency of Winwood High are an uninspiring bunch campaigning for what almost everybody knows is an empty office. Ambitious Tracy Flick is a hot bundle of raw political ambition and a bad reputation, who campaigns with cupcakes against Paul Warren, a jock with a pretty face and high PSAT scores who is urged to run by his history teacher (and sometime narrator) Jim McAllister. Paul's nihilistic sister Tammy (who enters the race in a despairing rage because she's in love with Paul's girlfriend) is the single fresh and original character here?and she gets herself suspended before Election Day. The results are blessedly far from feel-good, and Perrotta casts a wonderfully cool eye on his ostensible protagonist, "Mr. M.," even if the hints of true political satire remain just that, tantalizing hints. Despite six alternating narrators, this is a simple, spare story?designed, perhaps, with moviegoers in mind as well as readers. (Mar.) FYI: A movie version already is in production with MTV Films/Paramount, featuring Matthew Broderick as McAllister.

Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi(Movie title:Goodfellas)
rrr_img_69529.jpg

Growing up in Brooklyn in the 1950s Henry Hill aspired "to be a gangsterto be a wise guy." This book chronicles Hill's criminal successes beginning with his being a gofer for neighborhood mobster to his part in the 1978 $6-million Lufthansa Airlines robbery. Smuggling, hijacking, union racketeering, credit card fraud, robbery, bribery, drug dealing, prison, marriage, and assorted girlfriends take up most of Hill's time and this story. The author may have faithfully portrayed his subject but neither Hill nor any of his activities provokes much interest. The result is a plodding, episodic account which would have made a better magazine article than book. Hill's career ends with his becoming the ultimate wise guy as an informer under the Federal Witness Program. Jerry Maioli, Western Library Network, Olympia, Wash.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood(Movie title:The Handmaid's Tale)
rrr_img_69530.jpg

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable.

Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now..

The Tenant by Rolond Topor(Movie title:The Tenant)
rrr_img_69531.jpg

The Tenant chronicles a harrowing, fascinating descent into madness as the pathologically alienated Trelkovsky is subsumed into Simone Choule, an enigmatic suicide whose presence saturates his new apartment. More than a tale of possession, the novel probes disturbing depths of guilt, paranoia, and sexual obsession with an unsparing detachment.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went with Election just because I'm kind of in the mood for something funny and satirical, and I had no idea it was a book.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It was between that and Drive for me, but I went with Drive because Tom Perrotta's "Leftovers" was pretty mediocre to me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah Drive was my first choice but there are a few good choices there I think. The only one I was aware was a book was The Handmaid's Tale, but it is really hard to find fantasy/sci fi books that are movies that this crowd might not be aware of.